Unknown Location Dependencies

trainman53

Veritas Obitus
Please can someone explain to this rookie why so many of the steam locomotives have numerous unknown dependencies?? In my experience with the DS about 90% of what I have downloaded (steam locos) have anywhere from one to eight or ten unknown dependencies. Its almost impossible to find one that is usable. Why is it like that? It's really ridiculous, that one has to spend hours trying to find (and for that manner any asset) that is usable and pertinent to the route your working on. It's really sad that you can buy a copy and a year later half of the content doesn't work. Doesn't Auran have a way to revise and single out the content that is no longer supported or is broken and simply either fix it (or forward it to the creator for revision) or simply remove it from the DS. Some of us don't have all day to look for content that works, most of us have jobs and can't spend all day on the DS. Maybe if we could show Auran that some of us are POd about this, then maybe some of this frustrating situation can be alleviated. Please someone explain the logic of all this..............thanks in advance.

If an item is on the DLS all the dependencies should be there- the fact they are not is not N3V's fault. If as creator you upload an item to the DLS and the dependencies are not there an email is sent to the creator to remeind them to upload them. If they fail to then upload the items it is not N3V's fault at all.

Since you have a copy of TS12 you should really be only downloading steam locos that are of a build that is suitable for TS12 ie TS10 or TS12 build locos - if you are trying to load a loco that is pre TS10 ther is a good chance that it will not work unless you fix it.

And yes the build system dose filter out what items are not suitable but most people choose to ignor it and down load iems for the wrong build anyway.

How many of the steam trainz you are trying to run are not in TS12 format I guess about 90% of them.

Please can someone explain to this rookie why so many of the steam locomotives have numerous unknown dependencies?? In my experience with the DS about 90% of what I have downloaded (steam locos) have anywhere from one to eight or ten unknown dependencies. Its almost impossible to find one that is usable. Why is it like that? It's really ridiculous, that one has to spend hours trying to find (and for that manner any asset) that is usable and pertinent to the route your working on. It's really sad that you can buy a copy and a year later half of the content doesn't work. Doesn't Auran have a way to revise and single out the content that is no longer supported or is broken and simply either fix it (or forward it to the creator for revision) or simply remove it from the DS. Some of us don't have all day to look for content that works, most of us have jobs and can't spend all day on the DS. Maybe if we could show Auran that some of us are POd about this, then maybe some of this frustrating situation can be alleviated. Please someone explain the logic of all this..............thanks in advance.

9 times out of 10 it's because somebody has a huge ego and must host their content off the DLS. Some of us treat non-DLS content if it doesn't exist, but some don't share that viewpoint and hence you have locos and routes with dependencies on third-party websites that is often hard to find if it's still available at all.

9 times out of 10 it's because somebody has a huge ego and must host their content off the DLS~~

No, 9 times out of ten off-DLS content is off DLS because somebody actually read the EULA fine print that 90% of users click past without a glance!

@ Op - a HUGE proportion of 'unknown' dependencies will show up with a google search, always remember that it is extremely unlikely that you are the first person who couldn't find a given asset and it will have been asked about previously by some-one somewhere. When searching a kuid on Google you get better results just searching the 'middle bits' of the number - if you need to find <kuid2:1234:5678:2> search for "1234:5678"...

Andy :)

Welcome To Trainz!

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here. :hehe:

It is irritating, main problem is Joe Cad creates a bunch of Awesome Models, gets a huge following, all his fans download everything he makes. Got a new Hudson, everyone says it's Awesome, but the newcomers who download it say what's all these unknown KUIDs? Nobody knows because nobody tested it, the sounds, coronas, and pilot truck were all left out - but everyone who downloaded the Pacific 3 years ago already has those, so it works for them. Someone reskins the Hudson and uploads it to the DLS, anyone who never downloaded that long ago Pacific gets to play google the KUID.

If you're looking for any old steamer you can reskin;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?92424-Paint-me!-Reskinnable-C-41-with-external-views

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?92589-Teakettles-are-up

C-41 and a Mountain with all dependencies built in or on the DLS, tested error free in TS2010 and TS12.

Thank you all for your kind response and advice to a rookie's frustrating introduction to the world of Trainz. With your advice as per using Google to search for those pesky unknow location KUIDs I was able to fix some of the problems :D , but unfortunately not all :'(. Ah but such is life........thx again.......

Well.............try, for example, any (and there are a few) Baldwin steam engines - I was able to fix about 50%, and the other 50% even though I found CDPs that supposedly contain the unknown KUIDs (including textures, which are a major missing factor for unknowns and errors), when installed (committed) do not fix the problem(s). And yes I am a Rookie at this point with Trainz but for some things I am a quick study. Currently studying Blender and doing research on the possibility of exporting Solidworks files into Trainz. Wish me luck.......:)

Back