Train Simulator 2013 - Steam

Tried it and its not the holy grail they are claiming it to be .

FPS is up , but the quick drive function only works with certain loco's and routes .
Quick drive function has a snazzy built-in AI traffic adder that adds appropriate AI traffic to the route but I've found that all the double ended AI units (DMU EMU) end up with the back driving car cab end facing in towards the train !
A lot of the payware DLC is broken and causes the Sim to crash when you try to drive it

Plenty of pages of complaints over on UK trainsim as a lot of custom routes wont work anymore !!

nothing in that video that I would call remarkable.

I didn't want to lead anyone's answer, but I must confess that was my opinion as well. I bought Train Simulator 2012 and that has the animated windscreen wiperand the HUD, so I don't see anything new. After a few weeks, I got bored with Train Simulator 2012, frustrated with trying to build routes or create a scenario and fed up with "Steam" wanting to load every time I went on the internet so knocked them both (Train Sim 12 and Steam) off my pc to save space. I also found the lack of freeware annoying. Whilst I will buy the odd bit of kit, the spirit of the Trainz Community and its willingness to share through the DLS is quite fantastic.

So, I can't see myself rushing off to part with £17.95 just yet. I'd much rather put that towards my next First Class Ticket.

Thanks for posting.

The shadows looked good, particularly in the stations. They were realistically cast over the platforms and not the ground beneath. I wonder if they move in relation to the sun angle.

The clouds look fairly natural. They have a nice vertical stacked look rather than just appearing to be simply moving across a high altitude horizontal plane.

The points (turnouts) look fairly convincing. Trainz desperately needs something similar but perhaps better scaled than those shown.

There was no proper soundtrack to evaluate. At first what could be heard seemed like the inside of a train station, but this continued into the countryside when it was clearly the background voices of the exhibition room, or wherever the video was shot.

At 10:35 you can see the foliage changing colour from light to dark far down the tracks. Is this the LOD changing, or are the train’s lights on? If the latter, the illumination level seems a bit high for the time of day, and they wouldn’t illuminate the trees after the front of the train has passed as appears in the video.

Interesting to see, but not Earth shattering enough to match up to the claim, “The Most realistic train sim”.

I didn't want to lead anyone's answer, but I must confess that was my opinion as well. I bought Train Simulator 2012 and that has the animated windscreen wiperand the HUD, so I don't see anything new. After a few weeks, I got bored with Train Simulator 2012, frustrated with trying to build routes or create a scenario and fed up with "Steam" wanting to load every time I went on the internet so knocked them both (Train Sim 12 and Steam) off my pc to save space. I also found the lack of freeware annoying. Whilst I will buy the odd bit of kit, the spirit of the Trainz Community and its willingness to share through the DLS is quite fantastic.

So, I can't see myself rushing off to part with £17.95 just yet. I'd much rather put that towards my next First Class Ticket.

I almost bought something for a Flight sim from Steam, a few months ago, and at the last second decided not to. What was interesting is all the gyrations people have been going though the last couple of days with the impending release of the new Railworks, trying to figure a way to not get their 2012 program auto updated for fear it would break some of their custom content. It seems that having Steam on one's PC is like having a piece of Malware on it. Thanks but no thanks, I will stick with Auran and stay away from anything involving Steam.

Also see the new EULA for content creators - everything from they can take your work and sell it with no recompense (at least with the DLS you know all ownership rights are surrendered to N3V) or they can kick you out altogether if you breach some obscure part of it.

As to the rest, really belongs in a discussion at UKTS or TS.com but thought the above worth highlighting as you need to read very carefully what you might be getting into if you decide to create for the "darkside".

Back