Portal placement , Session or Route.

Robert2d6

Cab Driver
I use Portal control, since I like the way it functions, to make my AI traffic. A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the Miyabi TS 12 route and placed two Portals on the route, one at the North End and another about 2/3 of the way to the opposite end, to create some AI traffic. I placed these Portals in the session layer. Everything worked great at first, the trains would start at the one portal . travel along the route and head to the other portal. Sometimes they would go into the receiving portal as they should, but every once in awhile, they would stop after the last instruction, and I would get a message that there was "no path" to the destination, and the train would just sit there. I then added some track markers, since there was a couple of junctions before the portal, and I thought maybe the AI was confused by the switches. It would pass the last marker, and stop again. I finally placed a marker right in front of the portal. It went to the marker and stopped again, without entering the portal which was now about 20 feet away. :'( It was as if the train could not see that a portal was in front of it.

So I started searching the topic of portals, and I came upon a discussion about portals acting erratically when they were placed in the session layer, as opposed to the route layer. So I deleted the portals from the session layer, installed them in the route layer, and reprogrammed Portal Control to generate the AI trains. Now everything works perfectly. Lesson learned.

Back