GE unveils prototype for next Evolution® Series Locomotive

Thanks for posting the link.

Effective in 2015, the EPA will require manufacturers of locomotive diesel engines to lower particulate emissions 70% and NOx 76%, compared to engines first introduced in 2005. Alternative solutions, GE says, would likely rely on the use of a Urea exhaust additive to meet these Tier 4 emission standards, requiring railroads to build an extensive network of fueling stations across North America. But the
GE's Evolution Series Locomotive will not require the additive and railroad customers will not have to incur the costs related to rail infrastructure upgrades, the company said.

I knew there had to be EPA (Big Government) regulations in there somewhere. The new CAFE standards are even more restrictive. This use of a "Urea" exhaust additive come directly from the trucking industry. Eventually we'll have to add it to our motor vehicles as well.

Finally!!!! GE has finally released the Hybrid Evolution locomotive which is known as the ES44HAC. Now I don't feel so out of place by running it on my routes. Anyways you can buy it from World of Trainz, the worlds greatest. For only $5!!!!

Finally!!!! GE has finally released the Hybrid Evolution locomotive which is known as the ES44HAC...
It is not the ES44HAC, Have you seen the image in the link? It is different from the ES44HAC.

And besides.. This was just built/released in the last month, The ES44HAC.. I have no idea when but not recent (In a two month radius).

Last edited:
So this brings carbon emissions per ton-mile down to what... like 0? 0.0003?

I mean, rail freight is pretty efficient already in terms of carbon emissions, fuel efficiency, etc.
I wonder what kind of standards they set for emissions in the trucking and automotive industries... if they're not at least equivalent, then I think it'd be seriously detrimental to their mission.

Seventy percent emissions reduction is a lot, but I think a higher reduction in overall emissions could be achieved by just providing shippers with incentives to ship by rail.

It is not the ES44HAC, Have you seen the image in the link? It is different from the ES44HAC.

And besides.. This was just built/released in the last month, The ES44HAC.. I have no idea when but not recent (In a two month radius).

Then what is it then? The ES44HAC had the Hybrid Evolution engraved on its radiator unless they changed the names. Plus the paint scheme is identical and probably has maybe just been transformed into brighter colors. So I'll give another look. But now what will GE call it?

HARRRUMPHHH!!!! I thought it said Hybrid Evolution!! Guess I didn't pay attention. Man I hate it when that happens!! Had the exact livery as the ES44HAC. Oh well. Never mind then people.

Back