How to use speed retarders?

sniper297

Coconut God
Setting up a small hump yard, using Speed retarder,<kuid2:30671:23301:1>

Got one working, noticed the one on another track was speeding up the cars instead of slowing them down. After several trial and error changes reversing the direction of the retarder object and so on, I still can't figure out if there's a right way and wrong way to align and connect these gadgets, since some of them still accelerate the car instead of decelerating them. No documentation in the asset that I can find, is there a special way tracks have to be connected or something?

When you set up the retarders click on the question mark in surveyor then on the retarder.
It will now ask if you what you want to set it for dc or A1 and whether or not you want it to stop the car or not.
Play around with that and you will see what to do with retarders.
They work very well. I'm not sure if they are directional or not.

Bob

Hmmm, I'll take a shot at it. I got a ramp a couple hundred feet long with a 2% downgrade, 5 different AI trains spawning every 2 minutes in random order. They drive to trackmark on a switchback, then drive to trackmark on the ramp, uncouplez from 5, then drive to the destination portal. The loose car rolls down hitting 12 to 15 at the bottom depending on car type, and I switch them onto one of five tracks depending on car type. Ran that for about an hour, out of 30 cars 26 of them did what they were supposed to, 4 of the 30 hit the retarder at speeds between 11 and 14mph, and immediately accelerated to 25mph instead of slowing down. Not related to car type, one tanker slows from 14 to 5, the next identical tanker catapults from 14 to 25, then all the tankers after that work correctly. Same with grain hoppers or boxcars, 8 slow down and one decides to speed up.

Hi sniper297

I use the Directional Speed Retarder kuid:160293:100123 by trev999 which works very well for me.

Regards

Brian

Sniper297

If you set up a humpyard you have to save that route the way it is and if you want to add another route to it, merge the other route. Or you will have to set up the humpyard again.
I have most of all the routes with humpyards all set up and they work very well.
Lars did a great job making this setup it's amazing how it works.
If you need help just post your questions here.

Bob

They can also be used outside a humpyard. I use them to slow the cars down after running thru my kick back dumpers as they are going at a pretty good clip at the bottom of the kickback. Great gadgets.

Ben

I've set up a few before, never had this glitch - but previously I was doing the humping myself, this is the first experiment with having the AI trains drop the cars. Again it's weird - the default settings are CAB mode (with DCC mode as the alternate, slows them down unrealistically fast) and Halt train no (alternate Yes, which again don't look realistic). With that about 9 out of 10 work correctly, randomly one car will decide to speed up instead of slow down when it hits the same retarder that slowed the other 9.

The orientation of the particular car that speeds up might be different from the others in the consist. When I made my retarder I had great trouble with consists that had cars with mixed orientation; wrote special code to detect a car showing negative velocity and reverse the thrust applied. Another problem was when two cars of opposite orientation couple while still within range of the retarder.

The reason I made the new retarder is that I couldn't get Lars' retarders to work in TS2010.

Trevor

Nope, these are all same direction.

18085161.jpg

What I got is 5 different AI trains spawning in random order at 2 minute intervals, each of the 5 has a different car at the back. When I get 5 tank cars or 5 grain hoppers they will all be oriented the same way because they're clones from the same consist. If the retarder slows one grain hopper down it should slow all of them, what I'm getting is about 1 out of 10 that speed up instead of slowing down. Anybody ever tried this with AI trains before?

In 09 I was able to push, from the top of the hump, and the cars would roll nicely down. But in TS12, they don't roll. Any way to get things back to what they were? This on DCC manually controlled

As far as I know, no. It's just marginally possible with a lot of finesse to kick or hump cars in TS12, the problem is the new subroutine that locks the switches further than 20 meters away depending on speed of approach makes the sorting process a lot more difficult. That's the main reason I'm still working and playing in TS2010, I get disgusted with not being able to throw a switch 1/4 mile ahead because I'm approaching it too fast.

I use the TPR hump tower with T12, although kicking cars in T12 is a hit-n-miss, I have achieved success using it. See my pics with notes.

John
speedretard.jpg
three_track.jpg

The directional retarder are positioned in the middle of the visible non functioning retarders. These cars roll a pretty far distance just by gravity! That's 1000 meters from the crest!

at_retarder.jpg

Last edited:
Sniper - There is a version 2 of Directional Speed Retarder (not yet on DLS) that brings the speed of a car to a given speed, no matter whether it is going too slowly or too fast.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail and I can send it to you.

Cheers - Trevor

Sniper - There is a version 2 of Directional Speed Retarder (not yet on DLS) that brings the speed of a car to a given speed, no matter whether it is going too slowly or too fast.

Cheers - Trevor

wow that was right what I was looking for! Anyone knows when it will be on the DLS?
I need it for a big hump yard I built and which is now stopped due right to this.
Thanks

Hmmmmmmmm, from what I glimpse at the video....
Maybe the signals have an influence on the retarders?
Just a guess.
I tend to use 3 sets of retarders and so far it worked pretty well in auto- and manual operation.
First 2 sets slow it down and last set stops the cars.
I havent tinkered with AI doing the humping, as with CMTM, I have to sort them myself. And thats not as easy as it seems to be! xD

I´ve had such an issue as you descriped above. Ripped out all retarders and built it anew.
:)
Hope that helps.

Cheers - Trevor

Sure thing, like to have the version 2 of the Directional Speed Retarder too Mr. trev.

Mine: (CLFN7478@gmail.com)

@ scarecrow108 - You are the first person to express interest in my speed retarder v2 which can be remotely controlled by a driver command. I have sent you an e-mail. Please delete your e-mail address from you post to prevent inviting spam mail.

Best Regards - Trevor

Back