Small Diesel Switchers

Still trying to figure out if he means "too big", aside from 44 tonners what's smaller than an S4?

The list is too long to reproduce here, but see the page <http://www.sonic.net/~jayreed/preserved.html>.

Back in the day, small industrial locomotives were made in sizes form a couple of tons, up through 44 tons, by a number of manufacturers: Plymouth, Whitcomb, Davenport, GE, Baldwin.. The railroads would charge for in-plant switching, so any outfir which had a lot of inplant switching to do would maintain their own locomotive for in-plant moves. And a number of the class 1 railroads maintained small units, too. For years, on Blakely Island, in Mobile Bay, the Frisco operated a 44 tonner to switch plants on the Island, and many railroads operated smaller units in car shops and in locomotive facilities. there were some larger units. As I recall, the Columbus and Greenville (MS) operated Whitcomb 65 ton locomotives.

But larger units were not as common as the smaller (44 tons and below) units. The reason was labor. According to labor agreements on Class I railroads, and according to some State laws or regulations, a locomotive smaller than 45 tons could be operated by a one man crew (the locomotive engineer); a unit 45 tons or larger required a two man crew, a locomotive engineer and a fireman. So, to answer the question: "what was smaller than a Balwin S", the answer would be a Baldwin 4, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 and 44 ton switching locomotive, and locomotives in similar sizes from Plymouth, Whitcomb, Davenport, GE, and other producers.

If I remember correctly, TPR has an EMD 15 tonner.

ns

Try this: http://www.trensim.com/lib/trainz/index.php?act=view&id=95

It's a Spanish language site with some South American downloads on it. The link is for a GE 74 tonner, which I think was an export version of the GE 70 tonner. It's for TRZ 04 and 06, but it works in my 12 install. They make a great shortline or industrial locomotive. They are in the colors of some South American railroads, but perhaps you can reskin them.

Hope this helps.

For me when I try to download at that link when I acepto I get a page of gobbledegook instead of a save as a cdp. I'm using IE11 so it isn't a Firefox problem. Anybody else found this problem?

For me when I try to download at that link when I acepto I get a page of gobbledegook instead of a save as a cdp. I'm using IE11 so it isn't a Firefox problem. Anybody else found this problem?

I'm actually having the same issue, except with Firefox. Usually when this has happened before, if you right clicked on the page and told it to "Save Page As" and then saved it as a .cdp, you'd still get a working CDP.... Now however, when I do that I get a 0KB file. Not sure how to fix this. It started the day the DNS issues were supposedly *Fixed*.

Falcus

Dont know if your stll looking or not but where these mentioned
50tonner and 50tonner slug in Bethlem Steel livery (static cab)
Whitcomb 50 ton 11 & 12 orange white and a red blue one as well.
Just remebered they were on dls and re-downloaded them
Tom

Back