Help with switching route

TheRichMan

Meh-Tra
I want to make a switching route and I want to know some stuff that switching routes need. Maybe street running tracks, old rusty tracks, factories, interactive buildings, etc.
Anything will be appreciated.

Sadly I don't have TS12 so I don't know the names of the great rusty rail, and wooden tie tracks.

I found some tracks that are for street running, that look like trolley rails only, (no ties, with flange guides) I think it was named something like: "reserved".

I like the TRS2006 built in chunky mesh MP Tracks by JosefPav, as they are extremely low poly, and curve fantasticly in switchs.

MP Rusty
MP Track Wood V2 (Philskene)
MP Tunneltrack Dark
Transition track (new to rusty)

Concrete tie tracks look kinda' out of place, except for modern high speed mainlines.

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-45.jpg
I love working with track, and especially switchs.

Last edited:
Hmm, I presume you are mainly interested in US yard design, so maybe this explanation what's needed will be helpfull. It's obviously written with a model railroad in mind, but the same applies to scale 1 : 1 I'd recon. :hehe:

Greetings from nighttime Amsterdam,

Jan

I would advise learning to use the "What's dis?" tool in every category tab;

72740306.jpg

Click that, then click on an asset in an existing route to find out what it is. Study at the feet of The Master, open any route by philskene in surveyor and examine the way he put the route together and how he configured the industries.

I see you are from the Chicago area, my advice would be to go out and see what the real RR's are doing, you live in the crossroads of America's Rail Network , surely you should be able to gleam some information from there.

John

Not today. 40 years ago there were zillions of industry spurs coming off of a hundred different mainlines, most of those are gone now since these days (1) everything goes by truck, and (2) most of the manufacturing has been outsourced to Asia. Try the Chicago Metro route to get an idea of what it used to be like.

Back