Trainz MAC version running in Mac Mini 2011 2.3 GHz

thendricks

Is anyone running Trainz on a mid 2011 Mac Mini and if so, what are your results?

I have a new:

2.3GHz Mac mini

Processor: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache

Memory: GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory

500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Running OS X, Mountain Lion

Thanks,

Thom Hendricks
Fargo, North Dakota

Remember that the Minis are basically laptops without a keyboard or screen. I'm running TS10 in Windows 7 under Boot Camp on my 2009 MacBook, 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, with GeForce 9400M built-in graphics. I've seen people who have much better resolution images than what I've gotten and I have the odd stutter here and there. Sure, I wish I had a more intense machine, and I may yet build myself a desktop machine, but it is quite useable with what I've got.

You are talking a newer machine and a version of Trainz that is actually built for MacOS. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

I have an NVIDA GE-Force 320M and it runs well. Is yours better or worse than mine?

Google to find the articles. The one I looked at said that the 320M was a little slower than the 9600M (In the MacBook Pro), which is twice as fast as my 9400M.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 against the Nvidia GeForce 320M

I have an NVIDA GE-Force 320M and it runs well. Is yours better or worse than mine?

According to T-GAAP.COM:

Three websites have tested and compared the Intel HD Graphics 3000 against the Nvidia GeForce 320M among other graphics processors.
MacWorld.com tests show the Intel Graphics 3000 comes close, but the GeForce still wins. Yet,anandtech.com and notebookcheck.net tests show the the Intel Graphics 3000 is up to 8% better that the GeForce 320M. Some of these tests could be more CPU related than GPU. So, it looks like these two chips are pretty comparable at this time with each wining different benchmarks.

This morning when I got home from work at 1 AM I decided to take the plunge and purchased Trainz MAC from the Apple Store and started the almost 7 GB download. I have 50MB internet service so I didn't think it would take to long but it was longer than I expected, so I went to bed. When I got up at noon I found that the download had failed and Apple provided no reason for the failure. Since I have a 100GB cap per month I like to do big downloads from Midnight to 8AM when it doesn't count against my cap. But I didn't want to wait another day, so I stated the download and it finished in about an hour. I've gone thru the tutorials and am now driving and I don't see any poor preformance from the Mac Mini for Trainz. I did just upgrade the MAC from 2GB of ram to 16GB.

Back