Page 214 of 215 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215 LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3220

Thread: K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    As a person from overseas can I ask question? I assume that's a feedwater heater on the front end. But also two cross compound air compressors? And another air compressor on the left side? What were these locomotives used for? Extremely heavy trains on steep downgrades where air braking ability was essential?

Phil
    I believe that one on the side is part of the feedwater heater and yes the tank in the front is part of the feedwater heating system. I think it is an Elesco type system.
    Last edited by KenRuof; April 4th, 2020 at 04:59 AM.
    Pennsylvania Railroad affectionate PRRT&HS

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    As a person from overseas can I ask question? I assume that's a feedwater heater on the front end. But also two cross compound air compressors? And another air compressor on the left side? What were these locomotives used for? Extremely heavy trains on steep downgrades where air braking ability was essential?

Phil
    Yes, two compound air compressors. It's fairly standard on larger engines (see Timken 1111, the SP 4-8-4s and 2-10-2s, UP MT-73, and every 4-10-2 built in the US for further examples), as a single compressor is rated for 150 CFM and most road-length trains need considerably more to sustain a partial application safely. As Ken pointed out, the pump mounted on the side is not a third pump; rather, it is the water pump for the ELESCo feedwater system. Note how it does not have the same asymmetrical cross-compound design as the pumps on the front, and has a patent plate covering the water cylinders. These are the easiest identifiers for such a part. That pump draws water directly from the tender, and pushes it through the feedwater bundle, which is essentially an array of radiator pipes surrounded by exhaust steam from the power reverser, air compressors, water pump, steam heat if fitted, and so on. Once the water is heated, it feeds directly into the boiler, while the exhaust steam, now cooled to the point of condensation, is funneled back into the tender to be re-used.

United States of America, louisiana, new orleans

Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TrainSimUSA
    (Train Simulator 2018, T:ANE, CN Railfanning, and other stuff)

Blog Entries

Matt
    work hard, Play harder

G'day All,

Some more of K&L's superb engines in TRS2019 using some of the new camera angles available in Trainz Plus.

This one is on a modified version of Scratchy's great Datsun Junction route.

and this one is on a freelanced section of my merged route.

Cheers,
    Piere.

Your shots are great, Piere. You and evilcrow are lighting the place up lately.

Like to see more of your freelanced route. It seems to have that lovely "prime candidate for urban renewal" quality.

Best,
    smyers

Quote Originally Posted by smyers View Post
    Your shots are great, Piere. You and evilcrow are lighting the place up lately.

Like to see more of your freelanced route. It seems to have that lovely "prime candidate for urban renewal" quality.

Best,
    smyers
    Thanks very much Smyers. I do like the "urban grunge" look that you and others have mastered, but I don't come close to applying it so well. I learn and draw inspiration from the work of crafters like yourself, Felix_G, Scratchy, Approach Medium and many others.

I have placed some shots of that particular area in this thread if you'd like to have a look. You'll notice that your great "street" textures feature heavily in my stuff to help achieve that used look.

Happy to post pics of other areas I've done if you're interested. No problems if not.

Cheers,
    Piere.
    Last edited by Piere; April 12th, 2020 at 08:09 AM.

re post #3203 Piere

Plenty of ideas gained from your https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...98#post1806598. and yes please post more.

Many thanks.
    evilcrow

You're too modest, Piere. I'd download your route in a second. Why I would even buy a FCT just to be sure I got all the assets. That's terrific work.
    Best,
    smyers

Blog Entries

Trainz plus? Forgive me, I've been doing a lot of real model railroading and been away from the sim awhile. What is trainz plus?
    Its Ktrain! For gods sakes its Ktrain! Typos are a thing you know!

Thank you all very much for your kind comments. they are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by evilcrow View Post
    re post #3203 Piere
    Plenty of ideas gained from your https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...98#post1806598. and yes please post more.
    Many thanks.
    evilcrow
    Thanks indeed Evilcrow. If it helps lead to more of your incredible images then that's a real bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by smyers View Post
    You're too modest, Piere. I'd download your route in a second. Why I would even buy a FCT just to be sure I got all the assets. That's terrific work.
    Best,
    smyers
    Thanks very much Smyers. Unfortunately you probably wouldn't find a lot of stuff on the DLS as some of it comes from obscure, closed or European sites as well as a few things I've modified myself for personal use. That's another thing which makes it a little easier, when not restricted to dls-only assets too. I really appreciate the effort that you route builders make to make sure the assets you use are generally available for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ktain.ny View Post
    Trainz plus? Forgive me, I've been doing a lot of real model railroading and been away from the sim awhile. What is trainz plus?
    G'day Ktrain, "Plus" is one of the subscription options which allows access to some of the features of the Gold or Silver memberships, in particular, the regular upgrades which aren't released as patch updates such as new camera views and unified driver-surveyor features. N3V are offering some of these subscription options as a free-for-a-month trial at the moment.

You can find out more about the various options here: http://www.trainzportal.com/pages/trs19-faqs

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Piere.

Here's my video with the C&O K2 Heavy Mikado. Again thank you Steve for creating these incredible steam locomotives for Trainz.

Still waiting for K&L's CN 6060 Bullet Nose Betty. That's my current anticipation steam locomotive currently.

Also, still waiting for K&L to announce his own Royal Hudson to be in development, lol.

I'm from Canada so sue me. :P
    Vuk

Chesapeake and Ohio 1184 heading east to Parker Loadout.

"Know yourself, only then can you understand the power to bring change, no matter how small, to the world around you"