K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Old #94 has an impromptu photo Op while toiling away. Residents in the tenement watch the show from the landing.

Heinrich505

XgZY9exd_o.jpg

Here's my video of the CN / Steamtown of the X10a. Thank you Steve for creating these incredible steam locomotives for Trainz.

Here is a screenshot of my recently purchased C&O K-2 Mikado leading a freight consist on my T:ANE version of my 1950s era Indiana Western Route. The payware C&O K-2 Mikado was recently released by K&L Trainz and she is a truly beautiful steam locomotive that installed and worked without problems! I own a number of K&L locomotives which are first rate.

Indiana-Western-SS1.jpg

Bob

As a person from overseas can I ask question? I assume that's a feedwater heater on the front end. But also two cross compound air compressors? And another air compressor on the left side? What were these locomotives used for? Extremely heavy trains on steep downgrades where air braking ability was essential?

Phil

As a person from overseas can I ask question? I assume that's a feedwater heater on the front end. But also two cross compound air compressors? And another air compressor on the left side? What were these locomotives used for? Extremely heavy trains on steep downgrades where air braking ability was essential?

Phil

stevelerro made some interesting explanations on his site (https://kltrainz.com/product/co-k-2-mikado/)

Regards
Swordfish

Phil
I believe that one on the side is part of the feedwater heater and yes the tank in the front is part of the feedwater heating system. I think it is an Elesco type system.

Last edited:

Phil
Yes, two compound air compressors. It's fairly standard on larger engines (see Timken 1111, the SP 4-8-4s and 2-10-2s, UP MT-73, and every 4-10-2 built in the US for further examples), as a single compressor is rated for 150 CFM and most road-length trains need considerably more to sustain a partial application safely. As Ken pointed out, the pump mounted on the side is not a third pump; rather, it is the water pump for the ELESCo feedwater system. Note how it does not have the same asymmetrical cross-compound design as the pumps on the front, and has a patent plate covering the water cylinders. These are the easiest identifiers for such a part. That pump draws water directly from the tender, and pushes it through the feedwater bundle, which is essentially an array of radiator pipes surrounded by exhaust steam from the power reverser, air compressors, water pump, steam heat if fitted, and so on. Once the water is heated, it feeds directly into the boiler, while the exhaust steam, now cooled to the point of condensation, is funneled back into the tender to be re-used.

Back