K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Putting some of my favorite/recommended K&L engines in what I'm terming "The Lightbox".

5f5049049f29537baf70a17df5921e75.jpg

e81bceaa143060ae5fe682c164cfede2.jpg

5a612950e9a97ad33de5852a790196ad.jpg

1df8a408e6e9824e49dd1e3be2cf6151.jpg

If I had to pick only one to use for the rest of my life, it would be a tough decision... it might be the NKP H-6o Mikado though, I love the whistle on that thing.

@TrainzPlayer14: If you don't mind me asking, but how'd you get the lighting to look that good?

@TrainzPlayer14: If you don't mind me asking, but how'd you get the lighting to look that good?

Hi Alex,

Achieving the lighting you see is done simply as tinkering with the environmental settings. Mainly, darken the ambient lighting, and tweak the sun color until you're happy, this is how I did it. Also, darken the skybox color too, by default TANE lighting is much too bright to be representative of real life lighting, ideally tone it down for more realistic appearance.

You can also manually adjust post processing settings, as shown here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ide-To-Realistic-Lighting-amp-Post-Processing

but bear in mind, the manually adjusted settings do not save upon exiting the game, however I do believe N3V is working to fix this. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

Achieving the lighting you see is done simply as tinkering with the environmental settings. Mainly, darken the ambient lighting, and tweak the sun color until you're happy, this is how I did it. Also, darken the skybox color too, by default TANE lighting is much too bright to be representative of real life lighting, ideally tone it down for more realistic appearance.

You can also manually adjust post processing settings, as shown here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ide-To-Realistic-Lighting-amp-Post-Processing

but bear in mind, the manually adjusted settings do not save upon exiting the game, however I do believe N3V is working to fix this. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Read through that one earlier, along with TRam__'s and at first was wondering why it became ultra-bright. Well now I know how to get the cool looking shadows now!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist doing this (full screen / 1080p):

Just a question though. When I used to frequent model railroad shops I'd lust over all the wonderful unpainted brass models. Is it possible to re-skin this locomotive in PaintShop Pro to make it a brass colour? If so, what are the RGB settings?

Try using 208, 152, 76 and just paint it over all the textures in the models textures folder.

Out of curiosity, you didn't care for my double articulated exhaust sounds?

Hey Steve --

Thanks. I tried those RGB settings on the sides of the Aux Tender because it seemed the easiest to do. Yep - it looks fine.

Now all I have to do is pluck up the courage to do all the 1,000+ tga files of the locomotive. Until I opened it in Explorer I didn't suspect there would be so many. There are a lot!

"Out of curiosity, you didn't care for my double articulated exhaust sounds?"

No, I really appreciate your Mallet sounds. They are wonderful. It's just that do I have a preference for the "Steam Engine Sound - 2 Cylinder". I know Mallets have a syncopated eight puffs per revolution (depending on the relative piston positions of the two driver bogey groups) and the two cylinder sound is not exactly the most appropriate. But still I'll go with it.

Thanks for these wonderful locomotives. I think I speak for us all when I say we certainly appreciate your work.

Phil
_____

Edit:

I've just looked at the videos on your face book page and found this one (and there are several others):

https://www.facebook.com/KLtrainz/videos/vb.427003837345229/982914245087516/?type=2&theater

Have you considered actually releasing brass models for those of us who run them on model railroads?

N&W A Class -- in brass

Well, that turned out to be slightly easier than I expected:

Steve --

In the Aux Tender folder was a file, "brass.tga". I copied this file into the other folders (locomotive, leading truck, drive bogey 1 and 2, trailing bogey, ... ) and changed each texture.txt file to refer to brass.tga.

I suspect that I can use this to do locomotives, passenger cars and freight cars. Now I can have the brass collection that I've always wanted.
_____

Edit:

I have to admit that I felt something of a vandal as I made the alterations. When you delve into the inner working of the files it's obvious how much work has gone into the textures and texture mapping. And all I did was destroy it.

Last edited:
Hi David --

I'd like to be able to share but, at pointed out in the post above, I can't. Ethically it's wrong; more importantly it's illegal. This is from the K&L website:

All presented content from this website is property of K&L Trainz. No distribution or hosting of content is permitted of any payware assets purchased from K&L Trainz. Modifications are permitted for personal use only!

Sorry,
Phil

Last edited:
2017-10-03%20224438.jpg

595 heads a general freight service out of the yard at Richmond on a cool day.

2017-10-03%20225937.jpg

At it's first stop at Peabody, 595 shunts some wagons into the lumber yard whilst it's train sits on the mainline.

2017-10-03%20230906.jpg

After completing the shunt, 595 powers past a stabled 2802 with a MOW train.

2017-10-03%20232026.jpg

After tackling the steep down hill grades from Peabody, 595 grinds to a stop outside the depot at Parker.

2017-10-03%20235834.jpg

In the shadow of the mountains, 595 propels some empty logging skeletons up the branch to Parker logs.

2017-10-04%20000019.jpg

Nearing the log yard, 595 slows it's train. The transfer caboose will be cut off, and then the log wagons placed into the loading track.

2017-10-04%20000745.jpg

With the log wagons dropped at Parker Logs, 595 drifts back to Parker with the caboose.

2017-10-04%20002030.jpg

After completing shunting, 595 powers away from Parker under the classic road bridge.

Regards
Zec

Back