K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Ah, I should have known...the master Dave Snow! :cool: I know you've posted screenshots on that route before. I can't recall if you said it was released or not.

Your settings for the shot really bring out the details on the engine and give the overall shot a very real feeling.

Heinrich505

Many thanks. Not released at this time. Maybe later.

DIIaSAe.jpg

Shot here is deceptive, as it is only a shelf style layout.

Best,
smyers

That's still fantastic work . Thanks for sharing your work .May be a Shelf layout's , but the time put into can be seen . Well done .

Matt

Your shelf layout is amazing. It makes for some excellent period-type screen shots. You've nailed the "gritty, urban environment" atmosphere perfectly. Even your lighting comes into play.

I know I've seen other shots of your layout and they were equally wonderful. Now if you could just get Dave Snow to dirty up the laundry hanging on the line...:hehe: The person hanging out the laundry is going to be really mad at the steam loco rolling by.

I'd say it is more a working and extremely detailed diorama. Always a pleasure to see your shots.

Heinrich505

Many thanks, guys. Actually, diorama is a good word. I hadn't thought of that.

An overview of the small yard area near those tenements. The edge of the "layout" is on the far left...

teSuX4h.jpg

Trains turn right and head between the buildings for about 10 or 12 feet (on an H.O. scale layout)...

ok1olto.jpg

yK0hcPf.jpg

...and end up in the small yard on the other side, seen in the previous post. Not much to look at, but switching can be very tedious and may keep you busy for some time.

Best,
smyers

Amazing work smyers, it is true about what you said about switching, but it is fun too, I can't even try to explain how many times I did that with both mainline and switching steamers.

Beautiful shots! I find that switching is an art all to itself. It may be unglamorous, unlike blasting down the mainline and waving to photographers, but it has a quiet satisfaction all to its own.

There is also something special about working a yard with an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 or even an 0-8-0 steamer, not to mention the 10 wheelers. It has a special appeal. And on an amazing diorama such as yours, you get the feeling you are experiencing history.

I'll also like to commend the layout. It looks so wonderfully realistic. The dirt, the grime, the run down appearance. The overall atmosphere.

Any change of sharing it on the Download Station?

Thanks, everyone.

I'm aiming for sharing the little pike, Phil, hope I can get there.

Here's pretty much the whole "layout" from the air. Not that much, really, though it is a lot larger than the original HO plan...

7LX7Qsy.jpg

A ways to go yet. We've had some debilitating health issues that have really compromised our time. This is all PBR track and ground texture, so I guess it's TRS2019 only.

It's the K&L 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 types that inspired the idea, Heinrich505. They look and operate beautifully, and are easy to re-skin if you need to. Though I love Big Boys, 4-8-4s and the other road engines like most, there's something about the work-a-day switching and transfer that has a unique appeal. Maybe some day a B.E.D.T. route will appear.

Best,
smyers

Yes, I find something really appealing about the smaller K&L locomotives. Perhaps it's because they are more "human scale" than the massive articulated ones.

One that I particularly like is the Mogul 2-6-0. It's suitable for all types of use -- switching, short line transfers, light passenger, ... . This one:

I've been trying to get back into taking screenshots. Here is one of my favorite K&L Trainz locomotives, the J3a Hudson Unstreamlined.

G2hfvCf.png

On second thought, I have one more!

Here is the classic K4, first release from Steve and Bill running over the amazing Coal Country route by Scratchy from Jointed Rail. One of my favorite PRR engines (even thought I'm NYC gang).

I'd like to imagine that its a pleasant afternoon in April or May of 1949, just walking down a country road in the Northeastern countryside and a K4 rumbles by in the distance with a short commuter train... bliss.

1g50eMz.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice vid, Phil. The K&L mogul is a real jem, isn't it? Which of your routes did you use for the vid?
Best,
smyers

ktrain, I'm partial to the Hippos myself. Years ago I said I'd open the wallet when Steve brought out the I1 and sure enough I did. I grabbed the I1sa and most of his other Pennsy steam. Love them all but the I1sa is best. Scratchy's Coal Country - still waiting on N3V's update (JR version is finally out) so I replanted the forests in TRS19. I agree a great little route.

Let the Hippos roam.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Bob Pearson

Yes, that's the one. I've watched another youtube vid with this route where you're using the Ben Neal USRA 0-8-0. Actually, I've watched that one more times than I can count.

Best,
smyers

Innter Kohn Necktion is really good Phill. I had a run session on it last night with some smaller steam engines. I wish the turntables were bigger, big enough to fit a larger mike or mountain type. Grades are steep, I needed to use a few helper locomotives. One area features a 4%!!!

As for the Hippos? Steve did an excellent job on the engines and the rolling stock.

Smeyers,
Sorry to hear of the health issues. I hope things clear up well for y'all on that.

Thanks for the shot of your layout. It even looks cool from above. I really enjoy those smaller switchers. They make you feel you are actually working when driving them. My first HO steamer was the 0-4-0, and I spent countless hours just shunting freight all around my small HO yard. I had to settle for the B&O version, as the hobby shop (really dating myself now) didn't have a Pennsy version.

That mogul that Phil noted is a hoot to drive on his routes. I ran that puppy so hard on one of his sessions that I ran out of water, for crying out loud. Had to have the dispatcher send another engine to rescue me. He said that Chuck and Joe would never have let that happen. Humbled me plenty...:confused:

Heinrich505

Back