K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Wow man, you must spend a lot of time and money on books about trains.
8d2b6a276d9f7718ac07189098fb634b.jpg
baec075fd1dce6286bf1e0708cf31d0c.jpg

Last edited:
yeah then us american's rebuilt them with standard wheels and standard frames(According to my five books on decapods).

I still find this claim hard to believe. The frame of a locomotive is synomous with the spine of a human. It is the backbone. Even if a railroad decided to build a whole new frame all in the name of conformity, it would be a waste of time and money when a much cheaper and simpler solution is available. Such a railroad would have to be willing to spend the time to rebuild the entire frame of an engine (which mind you was normally one large cast piece, meaning they would have to create new castings) and in addition build new wheels for the engines as well. Don't forget about realigning the drive gear as well if they no longer lined up properly, and you'd have to move any piping or whatnot in the way of the engines new frame and wheel set.

Honestly, its not rocket sicence, it's simple logistics. The 2-10-0 was already being phased out of production in the US by the time the Russian Decapods where ordered, and even then railroads where hesitant to buy them when more powerful USRA designs where available for order at the same time. A railroad would rather spend its money on locomotives that will get the job done quickly and efficiently.

5 books does not make you an expert on the decapod wheel arrangement. If you can provide evidence for railroads that rebuilt the engines with narrower frames and new wheels, I'll take back what I said, but until then I can not verify your claims simply based on your comments about how much information you have on trains.

I can say I have seen decapod tyres and wheels, and they do hang out over the rail. Rebuilding a frame would require firebox, cylinder saddle, and boiler rebuilds. I have seen the wheels hang over. Thank you. I would have to agree with daylight, rebuilding the frame is like transferring a person's clothing to another person and saying they are still person #1.

5 books does not make you an expert on the decapod wheel arrangement. If you can provide evidence for railroads that rebuilt the engines with narrower frames and new wheels, I'll take back what I said, but until then I can not verify your claims simply based on your comments about how much information you have on trains.

Would Denver and Rio Grande Western's narrow gauge, outside frame K-37's qualify? They're standard gauge 2-8-0's rebuilt into narrow gauge 2-8-2's.

Would Denver and Rio Grande Western's narrow gauge, outside frame K-37's qualify? They're standard gauge 2-8-0's rebuilt into narrow gauge 2-8-2's.

I should be a bit more clear: Railroads that rebuilt the Russian 2-10-0s with new frames and wheels, although the DRGW K-37s do prove its possible.

Very little original material was used in the K-37 rebuilds, the frames and wheels were brand new, as were the cylinders. The only major part that was reused was the boiler, the tender was left as is and the wheels were moved in on the axles.

-Ben

Last edited:
Well guys, I'm sorry, I was wrong and right at the same time.

My Great, great uncle has a bunch of old photos of the ALCo Builder Shops while he worked there and he actually managed one of the 2-10-0 construction projects and he points out the large tires, and how the axles and frame were different. When they first were built they had full solid flat frames that had over 200 bolts holding just one side. But when some of these engines were stranded here he and a few guys lifted the original engines and wheels off to rebuild the frames to american standard built up frames to fit smaller length axles.

Thanks,
Logan Thurman

Also lerro, when you have time to when you can make your own models again you should try to make Canadian National 1551

[CNR/OCR 1551]
Steve has lots of projects in line up to 2019 I know, but if you want to see it, the way would be a commission, otherwise it might sound like gimme pigging, which we all do a little, but too much gets ugly.

Those who remember 1960s era Steamtown (back when they were located in Vermont, and had the Green Mountains Tourist Railroad) will remember this (FIRST HOST THEN PORT PHOTO)

c6e33c750fef8e0604ae8e4e17751d8e.jpg

gmtn89.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes that was before the move to Scranton PA which on 1967 that of that year mr.F.nelson Blount died in a tragic air plane crash, I seen the 89 which was painted on those colors before she went to the strasburg railroad.

Back