K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Thanks Steve!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

That's a great video too! :D

Last edited:
After seeing the video I would like to thank Steve and you too Jackson for the commission. Great choice and you gave us all an early Christmas gift!

Dave

Steve turned out a real gem with this one, I'm certainly putting in my share of the mileage!

The first section of number 26 blasts through Sterling Falls as 5448 races ahead of a snow storm blowing eastward. Holiday traffic, coupled with the glitz and glamor of a new streamliner, has resulted in both sections of the Century selling completely out. 5448 has her work cut out for her as she lugs the heavy consist through the snow.

2018-11-29_192651.png

Last edited:
On a clear day in December 1940, the Century scorches the ballast eastbound, kicking up snow as 5445 leads all eighteen cars around the curve into Ashton. A storm earlier in the day has left powder on the ground, although no more storms are projected for the rest of the day. Although the man to the right of the picture has to dig out his car as a result of the weather, the fresh snow means little to the rolling hotel passing by at track speed. No doubt a second section of the train is close behind, likely also filled to capacity with holiday travelers.

2018-12-01_144113.jpg

Last edited:
By 1939, the New York Central had ordered enough lightweight cars to add lightweight sleepers to most of the Great Steel Fleet, however the Century and the Mercuries remained the only fully streamlined trains on the roster, with only the Southwestern Limited coming close by carrying a streamlined observation car and a good amount of streamlined equipment between New York and St. Louis in its consist. With the new equipment arriving in a revised paint scheme, the NYC delayed repainting the cars delivered in 1938 for another year. However, as much as possible, the NYC kept like-painted cars together until equipment could be shopped for repainting.

In this late 1939 scene, we see the Century exiting SF interlocking and passing the throat for yard "A" outside of Sterling Falls. In the background, a PRR freight gets underway as the Century clears the diamonds.
2018-12-03_151635.jpg

An 0-8-0 shuffles a block of cars in the background as the tower operator lines the Century onto track two towards Lakewood.
2018-12-03_151758.jpg

As the Century ducks under a signal bridge and clears the yard limits, we get a good view of just how busy the Water Level Route can get as the train meets two westbounds. The freight train on track four is lined into the yard, where it will pick up cars before continuing on to Youngstown. The passenger train on track three will wait for the PRR train to clear the diamonds before making a station stop in Sterling Falls.
2018-12-03_151851.jpg

Further down the line in Lakewood, we catch the Century again as it approaches LK tower and the NKP diamonds. Note the MoW cars stored on the abandoned industrial lead in the background.
2018-12-03_152347.jpg

Crossing the NKP line through Lakewood, a mikado waits for the block to clear as the Century blasts through town.
2018-12-03_152433.jpg

Last edited:
Back