What does this say?

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Am trying (desperately) to create a 2-Bay Cylindrical Hopper for Trainz... I have all the lettering on the side of the car figured out -- EXCEPT-- This:

Whatdoitsay.jpg

If anyone knows what this says, please let me know. I have searched and searched until I'm worn out.

(Please no guesses... I can guess, I need to KNOW.)

Cheers, and hope everyone is having a great weekend. We are getting a good steady rain here in Arkansas--- first time in weeks and weeks.

Dave

"Not to be modeled in Trainz under penalty of DEATH". I'm pretty sure that's it! Okay, I'm sorry, please forgive me!

Last edited:
"Caution Open Hatch Before Unloading Compartment" or/and "Note; This Car Has Two Compartments." If you have any of JR's ACF hoppers, you can obtain the information from their texture file called cardata. Hope this helps.

John

"Caution Open Hatch Before Unloading Compartment" or/and "Note; This Car Has Two Compartments." If you have any of JR's ACF hoppers, you can obtain the information from their texture file called cardata. Hope this helps.

John

Hmmmmm..... I was under the impression it says something about the inside & outside paints used...

Anyhow, I'm probably wrong.

Thanks John.

Cheers,

Dave

It looks to be standard lettering for a range of TILX hopper cars. I was looking at pictures of TILX #3342 and #3559 and #34327. All are 2 bay hoppers. However, I could not zoom in enough to read the text. The cars in series #34263-34362 cars appear to have the same stenciles on the lower sides and in the same positions as #3342. I was driving home tonight through SW Little Rock and a NB BNSF came through on UP trackage. It had a TILX car in the 30000 series with this lettering but it was near dark and the train was moving too fast for me to read this small print. Folks might keep an eye out for any of these TILX 2 bay hoppers and see if they can read the stencing just to the right of the WARNING stencil.

Hey, you just gotta know how to use image editors. Lessee, zoom, sharpen, unsharp mask, increase contrast, here we go;

42929900.jpg

Might say

"Do not hammer on side of car"

Or

"Do not apply direct heat to side of car"

Or some thing like that.

I have spent hours pouring over every reference I could find on the net, and am no closer to figuring it out. The following picture is the best I could find, maybe it will click with someone else:

723f2ce719f1610eec41da9183095d5f.jpg

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can spot one moving through here!

Hi Dave,

Did you consider how such small lettering will show up, if you put your hopper on a trainz map?
I frequently noticed that the only thing one is seeing is some inscription, which is unreadable because of its small size. In such cases length and colour of the inscription is what matters from a content creation perspective.
Further details are merely for one's education, which is, of course, meritious in itself.

Cheers,

Konni

I like the attention to detail that you've been giving, Dave: I've been working on cabooses lately, and I've looked for the text for the leasing information small print before and have never been able to find it anywhere like you put on the wide vision caboose.

Perhaps it says: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum"

I know..... there sure have been a lot of guesses for a thread that you said "no guesses, I can guess" in.....:confused:

Hmm, the only resembling car where I could decipher the small text in the middle bottom on the side is a Burlington Northern one.
For what it's worth, the text reads: "NOTE: This CAR has TWO compartments". (note :hehe: the use of capitals)

Success in your search.

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,

Jan

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Translated:
This page is available, however, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it. Or desires to obtain pain in the bullet train to find fault with in the pleasure of pain that produces no resultant good to flee. These cases are perfectly account of the system, the fault of those who are in the original text: this is to sink

It does look like a 2 digit hypenated date is on the top right line of text ?

Glass lined do not hammer on sides of car ?

For sand service only ?

We had a sand car in the shop, and Lukey opened it up as the door was leaking slightly ... a ton sand of sand went everywhere in a 10 circle ... after getting it closed, and the car was shipped out, we planted a big ol' beach umbrella and lawnchair that we trashpicked, in the pile of sand ... made up a sign, and planted it in the sand: "Lukey's vacation spot" !

Last edited:
I can say with confidence that this is actually the paint information. it says something like

PNTD - 372 10-11
CARBOLINE 875-HS-2758

this gives (in order) the number, date painted, paint type used. in the case i listed it is Carboguard paint. the car you pictured probably has a Williams Hayward coating. you could probably safely make up something there.

Thank You ... We all knew it would be You, that would be able to solve the great mystery ... now I can once again sleep at night, knowing: "what it say's" ! :eek: It was really bugging me, like a burr ball in my britch's !

Last edited:
Back