IS their a limit to the number of baseboards

mity22

IS their a limit to the number of baseboards you can have on a layout? I think their is but I cannot remember the limit.

Ah, there used to be Mity, back in the day...you know when we were playing "stick ball" and "kick the can"? I believe it now rests solely upon the capabilities of your computer! Oh, and welcome to the forums, don't be a stranger, from someone at the other end of the post count!:wave:

Ed is correct there. I remember a suggestion being put forward for "triangular" baseboards to save adding a full baseboard when the track ran close to inside corners. The upshot was that Chris Bergman (AKA Windwalkr - Auran lead programmer for Trainz) said something along the lines of " just add more baseboard squares, the effect on framerates is negligible (as long as they are not full of assets was implied) ... ".

BTW Ed I think you misread Mity's Blog entries (1) for Posts (616). :eek:

Cheers

Chris

A 10,000 basboard route may lag a bit, but it takes @ 5 minutes for Trainz to SAVE each surveyor session.

I think Textures are limited to somthing like 241 ... I am not sure ?

Speaking of textures, the time to apply textures to all the 1000's of baseboards would be a major limit. That and scenery items to give each baseboard that lived in look.

I thought the texture limit was the total number per baseboard, not the total in the route.

Wow good thought about the textures - anybody know for sure? I never knew there was a limit - could explain some wierdness :eek:

I believe that the texture limit now is 'per-board' in TS12, not for the entire route. I remember that the limit was/is 254 textures. Covering a texture does not remove the ones below. We were told way back that each vertex retained 5 textures in a limited list so that has te be taken into account. It is very easy to reach the limit if there is a lot of experimentation with colours. I think the problem could be compounded still further with the use of 5 metre grid.

If the area of untextured board is a visual problem, just lower the height of the untextured areas to remove them from the normal angle of view. Set the height and sweep around with the Plateau tool.

Peter

I'd expect that you'd hit usability issues before any hard limits, and that the first hard limit that you would hit would be 2GB for the ground file size.

Depending on your usage patterns and OS configuration, it's entirely possible that you'll hit practical memory limitations (ie. the program becomes too unstable due to lack of memory) before this occurs. It's possible to mitigate this by saving regularly (to avoid the program needing to keep too much un-saved data in RAM.)

chris

You might be on a 64bit track (Windows) but your trains (TS2010 and TS12) are still using 32bit engines. They have more room to run in but their inherent capacities are still the same.

On the x86-64 architecture, there is no "engine" to run 32bit processes. It is simply a processor mode. Otherwise we would not have been able to use these processors with pure 32bit Windows before 64bit Windows became popular. So, there is no penalty whatsoever with the 32bit processes. That is the main reason, why 64bit Windows is successful. There is still a "WoW64" subsystems in Windows 64bit editions even on x86-64, but that's to deal with the registry and a few other higher layers in the OS.

A 32bit process can allocate a maximum of 2GB virtual memory, called the "user space". However, linked with the large memory awareness option, it can allocate twice as much, 4GB, the full 32bit address space, in a 64bit OS. But I don't know whether the Trainz executables are built with this option.

I cant believe but I counted the number I have on my self created NYc subway Route and its 3000 it took 2 hours I am a fast counter:hehe:

However, linked with the large memory awareness option, it can allocate twice as much, 4GB, the full 32bit address space, in a 64bit OS. But I don't know whether the Trainz executables are built with this option.
If not you could always try making Trainz Large Address Aware with LaaTiDo. It might work.

If not you could always try making Trainz Large Address Aware with LaaTiDo. It might work.

No need as its enabled.
Check with laa in advanced mode and Trainz.exe in the bin folder is large address aware already in 2009, 2010 and TS12.
Don't use a straight patcher check first
Info on laa here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556
Download here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34392&d=1269231650
Click mode then advanced and load, press add files in folder and browse for the Trainz bin folder, this will load the contents of the bin folder and will tell you whether the flag is set or not.

There have been previous threads on here where people have been blindly running a patcher without bothering to check first despite being told the flag is already set! assume nothing always check first.

Last edited:
Back