How old are you?

Started playing in 2004/05 when I got TRS2004 at a GameStop, had the nickname "nvez". Some years later I ended up getting a new account when I bought 06, and that's what I have today.

Started playing MSTS at 5-6, found Trainz 2006 at Best Buy.
I begged for it and we got it and I played it until I got TS09 from Amazon (Ahh shucks) . Apparently the code didn't work here so I had to wait until TS10 came out. We got TS10 and then got TS12. 11 and playing Trainz since 2006-7

Hi guys.
60 years old and steam in my veins..things I remember from a very young age are the steam engines battling in the wet up the hills with 10 plus passenger coaches in tow, walking to school along the railway lines , the station announcers voice telling passengers what's happenning in a few languages, looking for the families name on the tickets on the coaches , smelling the leather and sleeping under the blue blankets in the coaches, arguing about who is sleeping on what bunk, coaldust in my eyes, the conductors key rattling in the door early in the morning , and many many more.
Later on in life I worked on steam and diesel loco's and rolling stock , even had opportunity to drive a few trains in real life in the sheds and on the road.
A few years ago I stumbled upon Trainz and today I am enjoying finding ,installing and enjoying most assets I wish to, or can think of , or remember, from an animal to a flower, on almost any railway in the world.
Cool stuff this Trainz and all it's people.
:D

I got the Trainz 3.1 in a bargain bin in 2007, was hooked immediately. since then had UTC, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2012. now 65 years old and still like to dabble in 2004, 2010 and of course 2012. Trainz and the community have helped me through some really rough personal times inthe past 5 years. Thanks to all,
Mike

I'm 54 and my main railway interest is in 7 1/4" miniature railways, but since that is only really at weekends I use Trainz mainly during the week.

I'm 60 and have been involved in railways since a very early age. Have a look here:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad62/Itareus/M4Build.jpg

The guy walking ahead of the lorry in the larger photo was my dad who was a 'loads inspector' for BR at the time, I used to go out with him on weekends and school holidays - would not be allowed now that health and safety rules the roost! I'm in the bottom half of the image sitting on the back of an (ex) GWR brake van.

Back in the days when the M4 Motorway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_motorway was built the concrete beams for elevated sections could not be cast on site. They were made in Birmingham (IIRC) and transported by rail as 'exceptional' loads to the railway goods depot at Brentford from where they were taken by BR's road transport arm the short way to the site. Neither of the trailers on which the beams rest is steered or braked and some degree of steering on the rear trailer was achieved by lashing the trailer 'arm' to the beam with rope, you can just see that on the second trailer in the top photo.

Those were the days !

Chris

I'll be 80 in two months time. I bought TRS2004 when it first came out. I have also bought later additions, but I prefer to work with 2004. My main interest is to run routes with 100% AI, which I have only partially achieved! Still, I find it great fun, and intend to play for many years to come!

Ian

I will be 76 this month. Got my first train set when I was 6, even believed in Santa then, it was a Hornby 0 gauge set that ran on a wet lead acid battery, had to take it to the local post office to get it recharged. My last model train was an N gauge set that took up most of the garage, couldn't even get the car in. My working life was in engineering, working on everything from sewing machines to ships. Bought my first personal computer in 1972 and kept updating until last year, my current computer is Win 7 64bit with 8gigs Ram and 2gigs Dram. I retired at 70 and am enjoying the life of leisure. My first Trainz 1.1 was found in a bargain bin in The Warehouse and though I kept updating I always waited till at least the first update was available. I still sometimes work on preserved steam locos here in NZ and find Trainz keeps my mind active. My favourite pastime in Trainz is getting the AI to do what I want it to do, I have been working on a prototype route for some time now but get a bit bored with it and branch out to other activities, so I don't know if it will ever get finished.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
I thought these type of threads weren't generally approved of (grooming/child protection etc.)?

Anyhow finding myself the wrong side of 50, it is a rather curious age - too old to start over, but not quite old enough to retire and, like many, by virtue of having moved around with work still saddled with £70k+ of mortgage before I can even think about giving up work!

Yes that's correct! I lived in Rawdon and we could hear all the sounds from down in the valley at quiet times such as Sunday mornings..

Talking about narrowboats - it would be good with a canal simulation programme as well as Trainz! The canals came before the railways after all, and there were some fascinating canals built over the years!

pdw

Viking Trainzer.

I started with 04 back in 2006 and got hooked immediately. Creating layouts like there was no tomorrow and enjoying every minute of it. 2 years later I got 2006 and loved that. 6 month's later 2009 and then TS12 about 2 month's after it came out. It was a progressive cycle that keeps you hooked.

When people find out my real age they are shocked. Why? The viking look is the reason :hehe:.

I may not post much but I visit the forums regularly and know a lot about metro and suburban railways. Particularly german one's... :eek:

Regards

Johan

I must be the old man of this forum as I am 30 years old now the first trainz I had was ultimate back when I was 22 8 years on I am still here. I scrapped ultimate long ago by the way.

...Talking about narrowboats - it would be good with a canal simulation programme as well as Trainz!...

Agreed, although you can of course create canals and working locks in Trainz it would be better if N3V/Auran would produce a dedicated Canal/River sim. I would guess that a modified version of 'Ship Simulator' would not involve a lot of programming effort, creating the canal network (UK and Europe) would !!

...I must be the old man of this forum as I am 30 years old now...

You think you are old ? Want to swap ages ? :p.

Chris

I thought these type of threads weren't generally approved of (grooming/child protection etc.)?

As PC as that suggestion is, and sad as it may be, I agree that it probably is worth bearing in mind the potential for dodgy goings on when you have people writing 'I'm 13' on a forum which anyone can join. There is no law against some freak with ill intent in mind having an internet connection unfortunately. Thus I would caution anyone who is very young to be a bit careful about what they put on a thread such as this.

Al

Last edited:
Back