AI rail traffic for beginners.

Robert2d6

Cab Driver
I just started using Trainz and have collected a few routes already and would like to create some simple AI train traffic on one of the routes to start learning how to do it. I have searched all over and looked though the T12 manual, and can find no explanation of how to begin to set up some AI traffic in Trainz. Is there anywhere I can find a list of basic steps that I would have to follow , after I place a train on a track, to turn that train into an active AI train? Not looking for something complicated in the beginning just a simple, train will move automatically from point A to Point B.

Place some track marks onto your track and give them individual names (i.e. TM1, TM2 etc). Put your loco onto the track. Next you need to add some rules to the control line at the bottom of the screen next to the drivers photo. Use rules such as "drive via" or "drive to" to drive via TM1, drive via TM2 etc. Your train will then drive to those track marks. There are a lot more rules you can use, but those are the basic ones to get you started. This sort of thing is best done in a "Session" rather than in surveyor or quick drive

Place some track marks onto your track and give them individual names (i.e. TM1, TM2 etc). Put your loco onto the track. Next you need to add some rules to the control line at the bottom of the screen next to the drivers photo. Use rules such as "drive via" or "drive to" to drive via TM1, drive via TM2 etc. Your train will then drive to those track marks. There are a lot more rules you can use, but those are the basic ones to get you started. This sort of thing is best done in a "Session" rather than in surveyor or quick drive

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Good luck with that. Setting up sessions is a bit of a minefield because there are loads of rules you can use, such as "load" and "unload" for industries as well as rules for working your turntables. You have a bit of a learning curve in front of you. Have fun !

Good luck with that. Setting up sessions is a bit of a minefield because there are loads of rules you can use, such as "load" and "unload" for industries as well as rules for working your turntables. You have a bit of a learning curve in front of you. Have fun !

Yes. What make it a real problem is there seems to be zero documentation ,no matter where I look, as to any kind of organized step by step instruction on how to accomplish setting up Train AI for someone that wants to learn. I set up a small session today, on an existing route, figured out how to lay down some Track Markers, and got the train eventually to follow the route with an AI driver. I saved it when done, and when I go back to that session, nothing happens :(... Obviously I am missing a step or 2 or who knows how many, just to get that going.

In my experience,I've learned not to trust/use AI, because ive had a total (out of at least 20 accidents) over half involved AI trains switching onto a track that my train is on and crashing into me, because it switches the switch way too early. I reccommend not useing them, but if you do, best of luck to you!

-Bluewater

...What make it a real problem is there seems to be zero documentation...

I'm sorry to say lack of documentation has been a failing with Trainz for a while now, I think the company have limited resources and documentation is bottom of the priority list. Some very good tutorials can be found here http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html but these don't really cover what you are after.

...I saved it when done, and when I go back to that session, nothing happens :(...

When you add the rules in "driving mode" which is what, I guess, you have done then once they are performed they are gone. To create commands that "stick" you need to use Surveyor and the "Edit Session" option on the Menu (top of screen) then add those rules by editing the driver setup, they will then be performed when you go into driving mode. There are other ways of setting up rules but take a stroll before entering the marathon !

It's a bit late at night here for me to go into a load of detail about setting AI up, but don't be worried about asking for advice on the forums - there a loads of good people here who will help if they can.

Trainz AI, like anything else with computers, is only as good as the person who set it up - it can be made to work very well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi Robert --

I'm not sure if it's useful, but this video demonstrates part of what can be very easily achieved (best viewed full screen and HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iJz4AmlMU

The route and session are on the Download Station. Look for "AI switching demonstration TS12".

Go into Edit Session / Edit Session Rules (top left) / Driver Setup / Edit to see how it's configured.

Please tell me if this helps in any way.

Phil

Last edited:
To re start a saved driver session use the saved session option, select the name you saved it under and resume session.
You can turn any route into an Ai driver session. Highlight the route, then select create session. Place a 2 consists at either end(or wherever you want) of the route, place and name a track mark on the track next to either consist. Save as attempt 1 for eg.
So now you should have a driver session to go with the route, so click on the route twice select your attempt 1 and select drive.
Command each driver to navigate/drive to the track mark at the other end of the route from where they are.
Go from 1 to the other to see they are ok, if 1 gets stuck note the place, exit without saving and back into session surveyor. Find the spot and put a track mark down, name it.
Re start the driver session, command is now drive via new track mark, drive to end track mark. Other driver gets the original command.
Follow them until 1 gets stuck and you now repeat the process.
Once you get about 6 track marks down in either direction, in session surveyor, main menu (top left) use edit session, add. Scroll down and select schedule library. Now go to driver commands and tick copy commands from. Back to the schedule library and select edit. Now you can name a schedule say southbound, now put in the track mark names in order. Make another called northbound and do the same.
Back into the driver session, give driver A-copy commands from-library schedule-northbound. Driver B gets southbound. If you need to add more track marks do so, and add them to the schedule.
That should keep you busy for a week or so. We'll get to loading at an industry when you've mastered that lot.
Do not alter trackwork in session layer only route layer.

Last edited:
Back