Running Driver in Black-and-White

Mick_Berg

Can anyone suggest an easy way to run Driver in Black and White, without screwing up the whole computer? I think my 50's themed route would look great in B&W.

One big problem with Trainz, I think, is that there is no standardisation of palette and brightness when creating objects, so they are all different, and don't blend well together. Obviously viewing in B&W would go a long way towards fixing this problem.

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

My mom always told me that things were in black & white, before they invented color, a silent movie was 10 cents, or 20 cents with candy or popcorn ... and talkies were an extra 10 cents !

Funny, as I remember the world has always been in color, even in the 50's, it's the photo that were B&W and it is easy to convert a screenshot in B&W.................................................................it might be possible to adjust your display monitor if you can't do it with Trainz.
Rail4Pete

I have always wanted my locos to have Buster Keaton riding on the connecting rods whilst having his lunch. Ain't going to happen.

Hi Mick,

I did a quick search in Google for "can my computer have a grayscale display" and found a few ideas. Seems if you have a Mac that it is built-in to the OS. On PC it is a bit harder.

William

Mick,

If you have an ATI graphics card then go into the ATI Catalyst Control centre and under Flat Panel settings change Saturation to "0" (zero) - make a note of the setting before you change it because the change will affect the whole display and you will need to reset it for 'normal' use. I have not tried this but it it's worth a go, but you do it at your own risk !

NVidia cards should have have a similar feature somewhere.Chris

Last edited:
My mom always told me that things were in black & white, before they invented color, a silent movie was 10 cents, or 20 cents with candy or popcorn ... and talkies were an extra 10 cents !

And my father has himself "convinced" that molecular orbitals didn't exist in the 60s and 70s. I would make a suggestion in the Boxcar forum to have this implemented along with a Sepia mode.

In the nvidea control panel adjust the colors one a time in the digital vibrance section. Don't forget to reset it when you come off.

Thanks for the suggestions.
With all due respect, I am surprised that some of you think I don't know how to change the colour of my monitor. Gimme a break!:hehe:.

I was hoping for a way to restrict the B&W to Trainz only.

Mick.

Last edited:
Probably the best way would be to set your monitor to a sepia tone color.

I once told my son that the Limerick Nuclear Power Generating plant was the cloud-makin' machine ... as there were no clouds way back in his Grammy's day and age, and the sky was not blue ... He went to school and gave an oral report in front of the class about the "cloud makin' machines" and was told to sit down, as that his father fed him a big fat fib.

Then he once stuck his crayon in the lectric' pencil shapener, and it jammed, wouldn't stop running, and started to smoke up the classroom ... So he paniced, and ran out of after school detention, and ran home ... when the teacher came back from running off mimeograph copies in the school office, she called me in for a conference at school ... I ranted at her: "What ... You left my child unattended with an electrical operated device in the room ... He coulda' been electronicuted' ... I should sue you ... and besides: If my CRAN' was dull ... I'd stick it in the lectric' pencil sharpener too ... What ever happend to the old manual hand cranked pencil sharpiners ? ... lazy teachers" !

Last edited:
If you were inclined to clone and edit all the textures to make them grayscale, then that would be a way to do it. Using batch process in Photoshop would make it fairly swift procedure so long as you could isolate all the textures into one folder for processing.

However, a word of caution here, when turning textures to a single channel grayscale image in Photoshop, do not make the mistake most people do, which is to simply go to the Image menu and choose Grayscale; doing that will give you no control over the contrast of the grayscale you end up with. Any version of Photoshop after CS2 will let you use the Adjustments menu to choose a Black and White conversion, which gives you more control. At that point it is still a three channel RGB image, so you will still have to choose Grayscale mode if you actually do want a single channel grayscale, although Trainz won't care about that, but doing it that way will mean you have more control and will mean a smaller texture file too. This is why using a batch action process would be a good idea, because otherwise it would be tedious to do that with lots of textures one at a time. If you have a version of Photoshop prior to CS2, there is no Black and White adjustment palette, but you can still do something vaguely similar be using the Channel Mixer and ticking the 'Monochrome' option on that palette down in the bottom left corner of that palette, again you would then also have to select Grayscale mode to make it a single channel image if you were looking to save on disk space, but again, you could create an action to make that speedier.

Al

If you were inclined to clone and edit all the textures to make them grayscale, then that would be a way to do it. Using batch process in Photoshop would make it fairly swift procedure so long as you could isolate all the textures into one folder for processing.

However, a word of caution here, when turning textures to a single channel grayscale image in Photoshop, do not make the mistake most people do, which is to simply go to the Image menu and choose Grayscale; doing that will give you no control over the contrast of the grayscale you end up with. Any version of Photoshop after CS2 will let you use the Adjustments menu to choose a Black and White conversion, which gives you more control. At that point it is still a three channel RGB image, so you will still have to choose Grayscale mode if you actually do want a single channel grayscale, although Trainz won't care about that, but doing it that way will mean you have more control and will mean a smaller texture file too. This is why using a batch action process would be a good idea, because otherwise it would be tedious to do that with lots of textures one at a time. If you have a version of Photoshop prior to CS2, there is no Black and White adjustment palette, but you can still do something vaguely similar be using the Channel Mixer and ticking the 'Monochrome' option on that palette down in the bottom left corner of that palette, again you would then also have to select Grayscale mode to make it a single channel image if you were looking to save on disk space, but again, you could create an action to make that speedier.

Al

I don't think I could complete that project in my lifetime, Al!

Changing the colour in ATI Catalyst worked fine, just setting the saturation to zero and adding a bit of contrast works well. But maybe I shouldn't have been so smug in my last post, I can't get the profiles to stick for the life of me! Any Catalyst experts out there???:eek:

Catalyst also seems to offer a way to have a different setting for use in 3D games, but it only has gamma adjustment, so there's no way to reduce the colour completely. What a drag!

I haven't tried a B&W setting on the monitor yet, that might well be the easiest.

But I will say that in routes set in the 'sixties or earlier, it looks really good. Give ECML a try.

Mick.

Last edited:
Back