Setting Paths

KenGreen

If you want to drive a train but set all the points first what Rules and Commands do you use.
I'm assuming that the Path Rule and Autodrive commands are used when the points are too complicated for the AI to cope.
One method that was used on the SnC session Failed at Mallerstang was to have a loco on a siding whose sole purpose was to change points using it's driver commands, this way you only had to drive the rescue locomotive as the points were changed for you.
What other commands can be used to implement this.

Ken

Ideally I was hoping that somebody had written some go to or go via commands that would allow you to set the commands on the driver command strip but allow you to drive the train instead of the AI.
The many Path commands all seem to be old and as such were written for white or pale backgrounds. Unfortunately I am physically unable to read black characters on dark blue background and so I am unable to see what is required.

Ken

Ken,
Re the background colour, there is a program that allows you to change the colour. I'm not on my main comp at the moment so will guess it's called no squint.
When this new style forum page came out there were lots of moans about it, a search may reveal what it's really called.

Re OP, we are back to asking N3V for an easy method of setting up a player timetable and path. As the OP says it is relatively simple process if you want the AI to drive the trains, but not if you want to operate yourself.

Fran
Thanks for that. It is called No squint but it's a Firefox extention only.

Vern
Are you saying that there is nothing as I described in my second post, If so I will stop looking and use the method used on the SnC until N3V make this available.

Ken

Re OP, we are back to asking N3V for an easy method of setting up a player timetable and path. As the OP says it is relatively simple process if you want the AI to drive the trains, but not if you want to operate yourself.
As Vern says, this is something that N3V need to implement. However in the meantime I have found something to lighten the workload. I only discovered this the other day, but I wish I knew about it earlier. It is called Junction Control. Its a little red box (visible in Surveyor, but not in Driver) that you can place anywhere on your layout. When you edit its properties you can set up "If - Then" rules such as if points (turnout) number 3 is set to Right then set point number 5 to left. This means that just by setting one points several others are automatically set. I am at work at the moment and therefore no access to Trainz, so I can't tell you the KUID number, but you should be able to find it on the DLS or Content Manager

Last edited:
As Vern says, this is something that N3V need to implement. However in the meantime I have found something to lighten the workload. I only discovered this the other day, but I wish I knew about it earlier. It is called Junction Control. Its a little red box (visible in Surveyor, but not in Driver) that you can place anywhere on your layout. When you edit its properties you can set up "If - Then" rules such as if points (turnout) number 3 is set to Right then set point number 5 to left. This means that just by setting one points several others are automatically set. I am at work at the moment and therefore no access to Trainz, so I can't tell you the KUID number, but you should be able to find it on the DLS or Content Manager

The kuid for that is 439337:100957

Check out the following:
1 - Multi-Pathcontrol-v5 <kuid2:131986:153364:5>.(Rule)
2 - RouteControl-v1 <kuid2:131986:156632:1>.(Driver Command)
By atilabarut.

Both are on the download station.

The first one is a rule which can be used in as many instances as required, and the second one is a driver command that assigns a prepared path to a driver.
For these to work, you must have a driver assigned to your engine, even if you drive it yourself.
These are specifically designed for "player driver" operation, although they also work with AI drivers.

Andyz

Last edited:
The many Path commands all seem to be old and as such were written for white or pale backgrounds. Unfortunately I am physically unable to read black characters on dark blue background and so I am unable to see what is required.

Hi Ken - Martin Hammel's Path Command <kuid2:71155:60007:4> has white text and is build 2.7. It has been updated and has additional options.

Trevor

Hi Trev
Thanks for that. Believe it or not I still use the commands that you made for me a couple of years ago I had to modify them for TS2010 & TS12 which included changing the text colours! Some of the commands that I'm looking at are far too advanced for me to understand how the colours have been used hence my posting about foreground colours.

Regards

Ken

Would Triggers,with trigger check & switch junction work for what you tring to do.
On my route, on my main line i set all switches to the right when train is facing them,now on passing sidings the switches are to the left at the other end,is where i put a trigger when a train crosses this trigger going forward it will change the switch and after passing the switch will return.
Adding the trigger check rule,in survyor & the switch junction you name which trigger then indent the switch junction rule editing that as to what junction(s)you want it to control and which way the switch to change to.(right or left) The triggers can be installed in the route but the trigger check and switch junction is to be set up in session.
I tested these at 85 mph all worked fine.So far working in a MP session too.

Thanks Danny I will check that out.
This has proved to be a very worthwhile thread as many people have found workarounds for situations where they want to drive their trains without the problem of changing points as they go.

Ken

Back