Patching Guide for TS2009, TS2010 and TS12

Shane and Clam

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my problem. I thought I'd update you on what has transpired since.

What a weekend.

Despite the comment in my last post I was not discouraged but I did some more calculations and came to the conclusion that at 16 hours a day SP1 would take 3 to 4 weeks to finish. It wasn't a difficult decision to abort and try running it again. I started it on Saturday afternoon just before a thunder storm started and it seemed to be running faster; an hour in, we had a power cut. Result: 49922 didn't know what build it was, so I had to re-install 46957 and patch back to 49922 before restarting SP1. Again it seemed faster but by the time it got to the .ja files I realised if it was faster, it wasn't by much and I aborted again.

On Sunday morning, taking on board Clam's comment that it might be a slow hard-drive, I put 49922_to_61388.exe on a memory stick and tried again. By the time I had to leave to see the final Monty Python show it was struggling to complete the first .ja file and I gave up.

Monday, I installed 46957 on another drive, patched and started SP1 from a high speed SD card. Better again, but when it got to the .ja files it was putting them on the drive I had used originally!?!

End of story, soon.

Tuesday: last try before ordering TS12 with SP1 pre-installed. Another new install (I don't know how many TS12s I have now), this time on C: drive, and run SP1 from SD card. Eureka!! The progress bar really does move. First .ja file completed in 22 minutes - more than had been accomplished previously in 24 hours. Total update time 2 hours and 29 minutes.

I don't know if this was a world record, but it feels like the sort of elation you would get when it was!

I've had a short trial run and it seems to be OK, so now for SEN City.

Phew.

Last week, I spent the better part of two days trying to do a fresh install of TS12 on an SSD, and then upgrade it to 63188. I couldn't get beyond 49922, no matter what I tried. I actually ended up buying a new copy of TS12, with SP1 from the N3V Games Shop. But since I'd like to figure out what the heck went wrong, I thought I'd post my (failed) results here in this thread...

I started out by downloading the original install files from my account at "My Trainz", that I'd purchased way back in 2011. I installed these on the SSD, without a problem. Running Trainz for the first time, it started the upgrade with the following results:

Checking for available disk space for patching.

Searching for patches...
Downloading patch file...
Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 46957 to 48249...

So, I clicked "Retry" and then this occurred:

Searching for patches...
Unpacking patch file...

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 48249 to 49922...

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 49922 to 58414...

Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match

Failed to apply the patch: 49922_to_58414
Patching aborted.

From this point, I tried doing a manual patch from 49922 to 58414, but it also failed:

Querying installed Trainz versions, please wait...

Ready to install from local patch file.
Current version: 49922.

Unpacking patch file...

I tried the manual patch 2 or 3 times. No luck. At this point I erased the drive and started again, from scratch, installing from the original install files. This time I made a backup of the "virgin" install, so I can avoid reinstalling completely from scratch.

I tried upgrading again, with exactly the same results. At this point I switch out the SSD with a normal, mechanical hard drive that I know is good -- installed the "Virgin" copy of Trainz on the known-good hard drive and tried upgrading it -- got the exact same results.

So I reformat that hard drive and reinstall the "virgin" copy of Trainz. This time I start doing the updates completely manually. The first two upgrades go as follows:

Ready to install from local patch file.Current version: 46957.

Unpacking patch file...

There are no more patches for this build.

Updating Trainz asset database... (this may take several minutes)
; <NULL> : Performing database repair

; <kuid:30501:100046> : <kuid:30501:100046> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100045> : <kuid:30501:100045> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100043> : <kuid:30501:100043> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100044> : <kuid:30501:100044> has been added.
OK (0 Errors, 0 Warnings)

Patching completed.

Current version: 48249.

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 48249 to 49922...

There are no more patches for this build.

Updating Trainz asset database... (this may take several minutes)
; <NULL> : Performing database repair

OK (0 Errors, 0 Warnings)

Patching completed.

Then I try to go from 49922 to 58414. No luck. I get this:

Querying installed Trainz versions, please wait...
Current version: 49922.

Unpacking patch file...

Repeated retries failed.

There were several patches for progressing beyond 49922 other than the 49922 to 58414 route, such as
49922_to_61388 and 49922 to 57720, etc. I tried all of these, after going back to a fresh "virgin" install. Nothing worked.

This process of trying every possible way of upgrading went on for the better part of two days, and I never got beyond 49922. Every failure pointed to: "
Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match"

So, as I said, to attempt to keep what sanity I had left at this point, I bought a new copy of TS12 with SP1 pre-installed. But although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922. After all, I have a copy of TS12 that I was able to upgrade to
63188, that I've been using for several years, that (I assume) made use of the same install files that I just downloaded from "My Trains".

"...although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922."

There are a couple of things that will stomp on a the patch installer.

1) Antivirus scanning the files as they're opened and updated.

2) Permissions... I found that running the installer as admin usually solves this problem.

I originally did the step-install, however, like you I opted for the full updated version. It was a lot saner as you say than doing the individual patches, and also took far less time than doing them individually.

John

"...although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922."

There are a couple of things that will stomp on a the patch installer.

1) Antivirus scanning the files as they're opened and updated.

2) Permissions... I found that running the installer as admin usually solves this problem.

I originally did the step-install, however, like you I opted for the full updated version. It was a lot saner as you say than doing the individual patches, and also took far less time than doing them individually.

John

Well, my antivirus wasn't running, and I ran all the manual patches as administrator. No matter what I tried I was stuck at 49922 -- from this point I kept getting the "Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match" error on every attempt to upgrade past 49922.

I actually tried installing on a 3rd hard drive, so the results were the same on the SSD, and two different mechanical hard drives. I even tried these three different drives on yet another PC, and tried updating from 49922 on that machine, getting the exact same error. I tried everything I could think of trying...

I assume that those original install files that I downloaded from "My Trainz" have not changed since I bought them in 2011 and that these files were the exact ones I used to install on my machine that are still running fine and that I did manage to update to 63188 when those patches were released some time ago!

I can't figure out "what's changed", unless the patch files have somehow changed by N3V at some point in time, or....???

My mind is boggled...

Well, my antivirus wasn't running, and I ran all the manual patches as administrator. No matter what I tried I was stuck at 49922 -- from this point I kept getting the "Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match" error on every attempt to upgrade past 49922.

I actually tried installing on a 3rd hard drive, so the results were the same on the SSD, and two different mechanical hard drives. I even tried these three different drives on yet another PC, and tried updating from 49922 on that machine, getting the exact same error. I tried everything I could think of trying...

I assume that those original install files that I downloaded from "My Trainz" have not changed since I bought them in 2011 and that these files were the exact ones I used to install on my machine that are still running fine and that I did manage to update to 63188 when those patches were released some time ago!

I can't figure out "what's changed", unless the patch files have somehow changed by N3V at some point in time, or....???

My mind is boggled...

The files must be hosed on the server.

Mind boggling is an understatement if you did everything properly.

John

Been trying to patch Trainz12 to the latest version and no such luck at all. I've tried every patch after 49922. I don't know what to do anymore with Trainz12.

Hi Shane.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on the following problem:

Earlier this week I finally decided to install TS12 SP1 when I discovered that boat's new Sen City route is only available on SP1. Being cautious and not wishing to spoil my current installation, I installed a fresh TS12 and updated it to 49922, before starting the 49922 to 61388 patch.

Tom

This is a bit off topic so I will keep it short. Tom, I see you're interested in my Sen City Route, you are the second person to mention it recently.
I will therefore try and put the TRS19 version up on the DLS when I can. Even though it's been greatly extended and not finished in a lot of places, it may be of interest.
(Having said that I've just downloaded TRS19 SP2 beta which seems to break it! - cross fingers it can be fixed)
PM me if you want more info.

Boat

Edit - Ooops, just saw this thread has been bumped up from years ago. I'll go back to sleep!

Last edited:
Back