Patching Guide for TS2009, TS2010 and TS12

Fair enough. I've had an idea though - check in your Trainz install folder and subfolders (apart from UserData) for any Dial Up Phonebook (.pbk) files - if you find any, delete them.

Shane

Shane, despite a very careful search as recommended, there are no .pbk files in any of the folders & subfolders. Gam :'(

OK - that's interesting. I would suggest re-trying the patch, but it's difficult to know exactly why it's failing. One thing though is to make sure you are running the patch as administrator if using Windows Vista or later.

Shane

That error is going to need some further investigation. In the meantime, see if you get the same with the 49922-57720 patch.

Shane

Hi Shane, I'm pleased to report that I'm now patched up to 57720 although the installation wasn't without drama. The patching appeared to stall last night at around 50% complete but I left it run & this morning it was still the same..............I gave the old 3-fingered salute to see if it had bombed out on me & I got the following message................Failed to copy the file 'C:\Program Files\N3V games\TS12\Data.ja' to @C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12|Data.ja (error 32: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) after a few choice swear words, I was just about to jack it in when I noticed that the green patching bar began to move. It reached the end & executed an extended database repair. Et Voila! Patch City! Thanks for your help. Gam :D

No problem, but that data.ja error does concern me.

Either way, you've got another two or three patches to install to get up to the latest build though - 57720 to 57826, 57825 to 58414, then 58414 up to 61388.

Shane

I find the patch page very confusing !

If I were a TS09 user, I would be totally confused, as the 09 patch's, and hot fix's are not describing in which exact order to apply all the multitude of patch's, so clearly it is very confusing, and brings 09 up to 49922 which is TS10 ... I don't know what is up with that ?

It doesn't describe what a hot fix is, and what hot fix is for, and if hot fix is necessary ?

I feel that the patching page should be re-done over ... to make clarifying which patch to apply, in what explicit order.

Last edited:
Tried patching up to bid 57825 from 57720 but got the following message......................

Failed to patch Data.ja, file contents do not match
Failed to restore backup file C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12\Data.ja

Gam

I got this error:
Checking for available disk space for patching.
Failed to delete patch backup files.
Patching aborted.

Hi Shane.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on the following problem:

Earlier this week I finally decided to install TS12 SP1 when I discovered that boat's new Sen City route is only available on SP1. Being cautious and not wishing to spoil my current installation, I installed a fresh TS12 and updated it to 49922, before starting the 49922 to 61388 patch.

Bearing in mind the size of the files involved, I was expecting this to take a while. To begin with things proceeded quite speedily but after an hour, when it started to update the .ja files, things slowed down. It took from 2200 on Monday till 1100 on Wednesday (37 hours) to complete TS12a.ja. At this point I put my computer to 'sleep' to let it and the room cool down! Since then it has run for a further 12 hours (it's now 2000 BST on Friday) and it's quarter of the way through TS12b.ja. Two files (srcFile and difFile) seem to be 'feeding' the .ja files very slowly - sometimes as little as 1 or 2KB at a time, but occasionally up to 3 or 4MB.

Most of the time, I have no other programs running, except those in the background, and 49922_to_61388.exe and jpatchl-w32.exe are using hardly any resources. Nonetheless, the system is running slow; e.g. if I open an Excel spreadsheet it takes up to five minutes before I can edit it. My system is running Windows 7 Professional SP1, with an AMD Phenom II 965 Processor @ 3.40 GHz, and 8GB of RAM; the partition I am installing to has 43GB free space. All virus, malware and spyware checkers are off, as is the firewall and I'm not connected to the internet (I'm doing this post on a netbook).

I'd be grateful if you could suggest any way of speeding up this process as at this rate it could easily take another week. If I need to stop the patch and reinstall, I am happy to do that if the patch can then be completed in a reasonable timeby doing things differently.

Thank you, in anticipation of any thoughts or guidance you may have.

Tom

That is taking an unusual amount of time. Are you using the manual .exe patch or the Yes option when it starts up?

Shane

P.S. It should be possible to cancel the patch (note that this is only the case with TS12 patches), but it will take time to roll back the changes it's made.

Thank you for your prompt response. As the thread has been cold for so long I was expecting a delay.

I'm using the manual patch. I'm guessing from the wording of your reply that even if I were to cancel, there is no guarantee that doing it again would be any faster. Or could the automated patch be better?

Thanks again.

Probably going to take as long to roll back as to patch.

May not be related but last time I saw anything like this happen, it was down to a hard disk on it's last legs, transfer rate had dropped to a couple of KB/s after the disk warmed up and not detected by smart either.

Thanks for that!! Not very encouraging, but it is a possibility, I suppose. Certainly nothing showing on SMART as you suggest. Fingers crossed!

Back