Fixing Texture Compression issues (black/white/multicolour assets) - how to do it

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please move it to the correct one.

Hi Trainzers,

Some of you may know that I have a copy of this on my tutorial site - this is for the benefit of users who do not have access to the site.

This tutorial will cover how to fix texture compression issues. It is essential that both parts of this tutorial are followed in order to fix the problem.

Versions Affected

This issue affects TS2009, TS2010 and TS12. It is a graphics-card related issue.

The symptoms

The symptoms of this issue are assets (usually rolling stock or locomotives) that appear all black, all white, or multicoloured when placed in Surveyor. Previously placed copies will also be affected. In addition to this, they normally appear OK in the asset selection list.

Stage 1: Changing the required setting

1. In order, click the following options, then click Save:
a)Click File then Settings
b)Click Miscellaneous
c)Click in the box marked 'enable hardware accelerated texture compression'.

Stage 2: Repairing the affected assets
1.Use the dropdown boxes in the Search pane to select Location: Local, Builtin: False. Do not type this into the search box itself, as it will not find the required assets.

Trainz 2009/2010/12 (Non Multiplayer Assets)

2. Select all the found assets. This can be done by right-clicking the list of found assets and clicking Select All.
3. Once all the assets appear in blue, right-click the selected assets (this can be done by right-clicking the list), select Edit, then select Open for Edit.
4. Once all the assets in the list have been opened for edit, right-click the list again, select Edit, then select Commit.

Trainz 2010/12 (Multiplayer Assets)

Due to the fact that multiplayer assets cannot be modified, you will need to delete all affected assets and re-install them.

Shane

Last edited:
yes this is the best way to overcome this problem.i recoverd my almost 99% of assets from multitexturing issue with the help of this tutorial .very easy to use this

Thankyou for the response. Hopefully more users will be able to make use of this tutorial, whether it is using this thread, my blog entry, or my tutorial site.

Shane

Back