Broad Gauge screenshots

S301

Zec, the owner of ZecRail
Since there are a lot of new GWR BG releases, and there are still some places around the world that use broad gauge (South Australia and Victoria, both in Australia, still have broad gauge in use), I though we should have screenie thread for these slightly more unusual trains :)

Anything using track wider than 4ft8.5in gauge is allowed. I'm going to make one exception here. Any locos that are meant to be broad gauge (Victorian Railways steam locomotives on the DLS for example) but are using standard gauge wheels, due to the track not being available at the time, are allowed.

I'll start us off with this one.

Z526 sits on the dual gauge track in the ZR workshops. The different between the track gauges is 6.5in (inner is SG, outer is 5ft3in gauge).
ZR%20workshops%204.jpg

Enjoy
Zec

Erm, broad gauge is wider than 4ft8.5in. There are some broad gauge railways in the USA (Mainly subways and streetcars). There are also some South American railways that use broad gauge. However, the majority , that I can find, use standard gauge.
Zec

I think this is cheating here? as then every Yank RR is open to come here?
Standard gauge in North America is 4' 8.5". However, 5' gauge was not uncommon in the southern states before our Civil War (1865).
If bdaneal and I ever get around to doing the General and assorted cars (Wikipedia), we'll probably do that in prototypical 5' gauge.

In the modern era the following countries (and states) have broad gauge operations - many of these also have operations on other gauges as well.

5'6" - Argentina, Chile, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ceylon, Spain, Portugal

5'3" - Ireland, South Australia, Victoria, Brazil

5'0" - Finland, Russia (and of course all former Russian states)

Mark

Last edited:
Standard gauge in North America is 4' 8.5". However, 5' gauge was not uncommon in the southern states before our Civil War (1865).
If bdaneal and I ever get around to doing the General and assorted cars (Wikipedia), we'll probably do that in prototypical 5' gauge.
5' gauge in the south lasted to May 31st 1886. The railroads all agreed to be standard gauge (actually, 4' 9") on June 1st, 1886. Most railroads converted over in two or three days. The N&W converted in just 10 hours.
The General is one of 3 engines in 5' gauge I was planning on making.

Cheers,
Ben

...5'0" - Finland, Russia (and of course all former Russian states)...

Except for East Germany, they still use 1435MM as their primary gauge, there is also (except most of these are now either abandoned or museum railways) 1000MM, 760MM, 750MM and 600MM in a few industrial applications.

WileeCoyote:D

Except for East Germany, they still use 1435MM as their primary gauge, there is also (except most of these are now either abandoned or museum railways) 1000MM, 760MM, 750MM and 600MM in a few industrial applications.

WileeCoyote:D

No - 'former Russian states (republics, whatever you want to call them)' = Latvia, Estonia, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Pedanticstan etc., etc., = 5'0"

- former East Germany was 1435mm last time I looked.

Mark

Last edited:
Back