Thread: My First Asset (welcome to post)

Default My First Asset (welcome to post)

Welcome to post your first self-made asset.

Mine is a light box tower ("Light Box Clock Tower 1", 635427:60001)

The idea comes from the clock tower in a garden in Kwun Tong, Hong Kong

Nice looking asset.
    Does the clock actually work or is it static?

Anyway, for future asset posts, check out this section of the forum.

Sorry but it is a static clock.

I am using Sketchup and RubyTMIX to create the .im file. However, shared textures by similar assets are hardly done. Now each assets weighs 1.27 - 1.29 MB.

That seems a bit overkill for such a simple asset to me, so I guess you still got some learning to do .
    A lot of people use Sketchup because it, of what I have heared, is really easy to do, but most people end up with seriously (too) heavy assets which could be made a lot lighter with either other tools or using the tool with some more skill/knowledge.

Just to give you an idea:
    The main asset in this screenie (Oresund connection Peberholm,<kuid:645812:1005>) is 1.56mb (13.740 poly count). Compare the complexity to your clock.
    And for the record: I am not an expert content creator.

Please take some time in discovering how to make the asset a lot lighter or invest time in other tools like Blender (free 3D tool) for example. I am sure you will be able to learn how to make the same clock for less then halve the bites.

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    That seems a bit overkill for such a simple asset to me, so I guess you still got some learning to do .
    A lot of people use Sketchup because it, of what I have heared, is really easy to do, but most people end up with seriously (too) heavy assets which could be made a lot lighter with either other tools or using the tool with some more skill/knowledge.

Just to give you an idea:
    The main asset in this screenie (Oresund connection Peberholm,<kuid:645812:1005>) is 1.56mb (13.740 poly count). Compare the complexity to your clock.
    And for the record: I am not an expert content creator.

Please take some time in discovering how to make the asset a lot lighter or invest time in other tools like Blender (free 3D tool) for example. I am sure you will be able to learn how to make the same clock for less then halve the bites.
    I played around with importing a car from Sketchup, and even a simple car weighed in at over 25k polys. Then it showed up in game the size of a Matchbox car!! It is the nature of the beast with Sketchup. It is great that we have TMIX now to import the Sketchup stuff, but I agree- I think that gMax and Blender is the way to go, and Sketchup should probably be saved for things like a "hero" building or something to define a location (like a town's courthouse or something).

Anyhow, lrt505, that is quite the unusual looking clock- way to go! Welcome to the club of content creators!! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

I hope that TMIX will have more functions that can replace GMax or even 3DsMax.

For example, using texture assets and marking points.

That's a pretty cool looking clock tower.

Kris

Blog Entries

I'll second that, hopefully you can find a way to reduce the poly count!

For the likes of Ed and me, I'd like to see it give us something like a real skin that we can redo!!!