should I get ts2010 or 2012?

I notice you have TRS2006 now. The big advantage of 2010 over 2012 is that 2010 has a compatability mode. This lets 2010 run basically like 2006 and you can use older 2004/06 content without having to edit/upgrade it to 2010 standards. Of course you have to move the 2006 content over into 2010 and that can be a hastle. Most new 2010-12 content has much higher poly counts than was used in 2006 content. That can be a disadvantage to older computers with weaker video cards and you can get as much video studder (low FRAPS) as I sometimes get in 2006. Content is continually being upgraded to work in 2009-12. For me 2012 does not have enough advantages over 2010 for me to want to deal with it. I'm still working with my 2010 installation to get the bugs out of it. Right now, I dabble in 2010 but most of my routes/content are still in 2006. I'm having issues with the 2010 CMP and I've seen complaints about the 2012 CMP. I've only run content in 2010 on routes that came with 2010. I'm having FRAPS issues similar to those I have with some large routes in 2006, so going above 2006 did not help me there as I had hoped it would. You probably need to look at what 2010 vs 2012 offers (or does not offer, in the case of backward compatability) and make up your own mind.

If TRS2006 has choppy framerates, at all, on your PC ... TS10, and TS12 will be a slideshow.

If you have a weak PC, I would stick with TRS2006 ... as you can backdate TS12, TS10, TS09 assets so that they work in TRS2006 ... (TS12, TS10, TS09 Routes are not backdatable).

I would reccomend TS10 as it is better than TS09 ... or TS12 if you want multiplayer. These higher versions have better graphics than TRS2006, and better sound ... etc ...

You can continue to build routes in TRS2006 surveyor (for simplicity) ... and later on import them into TS10, or TS12

Last edited:
In TS12 you feel realism.. that you actually driving and operate a real locomotive & rollingstocks.. any previous version like a model railroading. IMO a little investment will be worth for the enjoyment.

I had 2010 for quite a while before I finally upgraded to TS12 and I don,t regret it in the slightest. You need a good computer, but that applies to 2010 as well, to get the maximum benefit and if you want to play multiplayer you should definately buy TS12. Once I started playing MP I was really bitten by the bug!

Both have their strengths. I *LOVE* the many (hidden) routes than came along with TS2010. But TS12 is better in some respects.

Personally I like TS12. It has way better built in content, like the Mojave sub and the jr stuff that comes with it. Graphics are way better too. :cool: TS10 also crashed on me and I lost everything including the route I was working on..but that was probably just a personal issue...

Brandon

Last edited:
I would buy TS2010 as an introduction to the interface, this has comparability mode and is very cheap. In my opinion TS12 handles the code far more effectively and has satellite mode which is brilliant and so TS2010 should only be used as a stepping stone as I would buy both. But be warned unless you have a good processor/graphics card you will be disappointed.

Ken

I would personally start with TS2010.

The reason why is that some of the legacy (pre-TS12) content may not work in TS12 due to the reduced amount of built-in assets.

It is possible to download the majority of the legacy built-ins in TS12 from the Download Station though (but this does not include the routes/sessions).

Shane

I have recently got TS12, but I have kept TS10 on my computer for now. That's the nice nice thing about newer computers - plenty of disc space !

Thats true Dave I have all 6 versions of Trainz on my PC plus an extra copy of both TS2010 and TS12 for testing - they are not exclusive so why remove the older versions.

Ken

I have a high end Pc so running the game wont be a problem.
I think i'll be getting ts2010, but I have a question, I dont have ts06 anymore so if I redownload content that I used in ts06, will they work?

Most of it will work right away. Stuff that's "broken" can, in most cases, be easily repaired. There is a thread in the TS2010 forum by gisa about that.

In conclusion, can anyone suggest to this fellow why TS12 would be the better choice, over that of TS10 ?

It seems that TS12 breaks lots and lots of assets, and besides having multiplayer (which you probably won't ever use) ... what exactly are the benifits of having TS12, over that of TS10 ?

Is TS10, so much inferior to TS12 ?

TS12, unlike any previous version of Trainz, has doppler effect and realistic track sounds, which are some of my favorite things in the game.

Plus..
Better frame rates.
Better Draw distance.
Better Speed Trees than in 2010, not as good as the user made ones but not as bizarre either
Additional slider to control Speedtree detail, can vary the LOD distance with it.
Less of the automatic limiting that causes things to pop in and out of view.
Less unused stuff cluttering up the database.
Satellite view, very useful for deleting boards from above.
A more efficient TadDaemon, that gives clearer indication of what it is doing and does it a lot quicker than 2010.
Extra information on the developer on screen stats, handy for weeding out the inefficient stuff.
Automatic backup of what you have been doing each day, thats what you have been working on, edited or installed. Needs reducing from the default of 7 days though or you will end up using a lot of disk space.
To me seems to be a far more reliable connection to the DLS, probably due to a better TadDaemon.
Some excellent new routes, ok no old stuff but would you really want three or 4 DVD's to install or download?
Ability to add the 2010 JA files, if you have it to TS12, unofficially this seems to also work for 2009.
Seems far more stable than 2010 which again was better than 2009.
Content manger seems more stable as well.
Physics though not perfect are improved.
Probably something I've missed. :hehe:

Broken assets? Well I fixed all I needed to fix for 2010 native mode, maybe had half a dozen or so to tweak for TS12, currently I have zero faulty and zero errors Perhaps if people had done similar while they had both modes, rather than being glued to compatibility mode, then the higher level of error checking in TS12 wouldn't have been such a shock.

In my opinion for someone just starting TS12 is probably the way to go, however if upgrading from 2006, I'd suggest a period with 2010 first, to ease the transition from old methods to new.

Back