Upgrading my processor - is it simple?

Starr_Man5

Like a boss.
Hi,
My system specs are listed in my signature. TS12 still runs a little jittery when there's a lot on-screen, so I think I could do with upgrading my i3 processor, but how do I go about it?
I've heard there are different types of 'plugs' for them, and processors are not universal (it's not a case of one size fits all?). Is this correct, and how do I know whether or not a particular processor will fit my PC?

EDIT: After reading through a few threads here, I think this one would be good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandy...8NX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341562552&sr=8-1

But how do I know if I have socket 1155? Or is that something totally different? I'm kinda lost...

Last edited:
I'd need to know your motherboard make/model or at least the name and model of your machine. Your video is certainly up to par, and (I hope) you are running a 64-bit version of Windows there. You are correct, there are different "socket" types, since different chipsets are designed to work with different CPUs. BIOS issues can play into this as well Not all BIOSes necessarily support all CPUs even for a chipset designed for e.g. a second- or third-generation, socket 1155 CPU.

RRSignal - thanks for the reply.

I've done a LOT more research since posting this thread this morning, and things are a lot clearer to me (it's amazing what can be achieved in a day).
As it turns out, my current processor is an Intel dual-core i3 530 (socket 1156).

So I've had a good look around and found this Intel quad-core i7 870 (also socket 1156):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i7-87...ters&ie=UTF8&qid=1341566057&sr=1-1&tag=vig-21

Currently selling for £250 (53%) less that it's RRP which is too good to miss. I've checked with my local computer store, and while they can't do anywhere near that kind of deal for me, they assure me it would be by and large a straight swap.
They will fit it for me if I don't fancy it, but after a little reading up it seems an elementary task.

PS - I am indeed running 64-bit Windows 7

You're welcome. Unfortunately, it won't help to upgrade to that CPU. Raw clock speed makes a big difference with Trainz; the extra cores of the i7 will do little as Driver only makes use of 2 cores. If anything, you'd be better off getting an i5-650 (3.2GHz) or even a slightly faster i3-550 (also 3.2GHz) though the i5 would be a bit more future-proof.

Personally, I don't think a 6% increase in clock speed is worth buying a whole new processor. You can look into overclocking your existing one. According to a quick Google search, it can easily be OC'd to 4GHz, though I would advise going even close to that far right off the bat. Whether or not you can even OC depends on your motherboard, and how much depends on your cooler, but assuming you do have that option, a $30-$100 cooler (I don't know how much they are over the pond) is probably a lot cheaper than a whole new CPU and probably will provide you with a lot better performance.

Keep in mind that there are assorted OS tweaks you can do to get a more power out of your system, such as disabling firewalls, anti-virus, and your internet connection when playing Trainz. This also somewhat obviates the benefits have having a CPU with more cores like those i5s or i7s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267553-29-overclock-core

Hmm.. yes this is embarrassing :hehe:
I forgot to switch over to DirectX from OpenGL. I also brought the max. draw distance down from 5000m to 2000m (really don't need to see any further than 2km into the distance). FPS went up from between 8 and 15 to between 35 and 60 ​(depending on what is on-screen at any time).

I'm still interested in upgrading my processor, and so I'm doing a lot of research on the subject, but it's not an immediate concern...

Back