copy trainz 2006 content to 2012

netting2010

I have been running trainz 2006 and recently purchased 2012 edition. Can I run the assets and layouts, of 2006, in 2012 and if so what is best method to copy across from 2006 to 2012.

SG LAIDLEY QLD:)

No, you would have to do so much upgrading of typical 2006 assets to get them to 2012 standards you would probably die of old age before you could get this all done. I think taking whole routes from 2006 to 2012 would be near, if not totally, impossible. 2010 had a "compatability mode" for 2006 but 2012 does not. If your routes are like my 2006 routes they probably use content from versions prior to 2006 as well.

TRS 2006 TRS 2012 is too much of a leap. If you could get them updated and working in TRS 2009 or 10, then a jump to 2012 may be doable. In any event be prepared to perform a lot of repairs. Also, many older assets now have updated versions on the DLS, which helps a lot.

Last edited:
TRS 2006 TRS 2012 is too much of a leap. If you could get them updated and working in TRS 2009 or 10, then a jump to 2012 may be doable. In any event be prepared to perform a lot of repairs. Also, many older assets now have updated versions on the DLS, which helps a lot.

Thanks for this. Sounds like its into the DLS for new content.

SG Laidley Qld Australia:'(

Hi netting2010,

Firstly, I did receive your feedback OK, and I thought that it's best if I respond via the forums.

Upgrading from TRS2006 to TS12 can be done, but as stated above it is a process that can result in a lot of faulty content.

For built-in content, see my tutorial website (http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/importing-content---the-different-methods) and follow the instructions under the heading 'Copying Built-in files from an earlier version')

For non-builtin content you can import the older content from TRS2006 using the Import Content option in Content Manager. Bear in mind that quite a bit of it is likely to be faulty, and must be fixed if you intend to use it. Some of the content though has been fixed through the Download Station Cleanup project, and can be updated using the in-game Content Updates option.

Shane

Last edited:
Just wondering...

I have four add-on route packs from TS2006. Can they be added to TS2010 (or T12) by transferring .ja files or be .cdp files, or another method?

- Cam

You may be able to use the .ja method, but I cannot guarantee that the later versions would understand serial numbers for the older version addons.

If they do not, you will need to use .CDP file(s) to transfer them.

Shane

Just re-read the original post, if this is for purchased add-ons then yes it should work by copying the JA files applicable to each add-on, what will not work is copying the 2006 JA files.

Last edited:
Hi netting2010,

Firstly, I did receive your feedback OK, and I thought that it's best if I respond via the forums.

Upgrading from TRS2006 to TS12 can be done, but as stated above it is a process that can result in a lot of faulty content.

For built-in content, see my tutorial website (http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/importing-content---the-different-methods) and follow the instructions under the heading 'Copying Built-in files from an earlier version')

For non-builtin content you can import the older content from TRS2006 using the Import Content option in Content Manager. Bear in mind that quite a bit of it is likely to be faulty, and must be fixed if you intend to use it. Some of the content though has been fixed through the Download Station Cleanup project, and can be updated using the in-game Content Updates option.

Shane

many thanks for this.

Shane Graham

Shane

One other question. When running a session I notice that the passenger consists slow down to a "walking" pace prior to entering a platform to load/unload. Is this a case of splines being incorrectly placed. If so what is the best set up to obtain performance that is close to reality? I am using invisible platforms as the stations.

Shane Graham

That's normal behaviour for those stations. What usually happens is the train is slowed to ~11mph in order for the station triggers to pick up the train so it can start the loading/unloading process.

There are other stations that may not slow it down as much - try Bloodnok's Station Platforms series.

Shane

I have now used Bloodnok's platforms. Same performance situation so will live with it. However a good option for stopping position options so will use in the future.

Shane G

One thing to keep in mind is that most prototype railroads when making station stops, specified that the train speed should be reduced to restricted or slow speed upon approach to stations at which a stop is to be made, so the practice pretty well matched North American operating practices.

Restricted speed is a technical definition as used here. It means a speed at which the train is able to stop within half the distance to a broken rail, switch not properly lined, or other obstruction on the track, but in no case exceeding 25 miles per hour. Some railroads used a different maximum speed, but I don't know of any slower than 20, nor faster than 30.

ns

Last edited:
Back