Trains stop after coming out of portal.

fytch

Good afternoon all.
I having been having a little play with portals to try to understand them fully, but I am hitting a snag which I can't seem to solve. Some back ground...
I have laid a straight flat track about a mile long, with a portal at each end - one emitting, one receiving. Along the track I have placed and named correctly two working stations. I created two consists and scheduled the first to stop at both stations, load at each, and move on to the exit portal; the second train just stops and loads at the second station then goes to the exit portal. The first train runs its schedule fine, but the second on comes out and pulls up just after leaving the portal and will not move until the first train has cleared the second station (this is all on AI of course). In fact before I added some signals the second train wouldn't move until the first train had completely gone through the exit portal.
I built another parallel track but with no stations and and trains run fine, no matter how many consists I throw out and regardless of how fast one after another they come, so I am guessing it is indeed the stations causing the halt.
I could of course leave a longer time gap between the emits, but as I said I am just experimenting at the moment and am wondering if there is something I am missing.
Many thanks.

Placement of the stations on a by-pass siding off the main track rather than on the main line itself would be my first solution. Let the first train be clear of the main line when the second appears at portal. You could give the wait order for the first train at the siding of the first station. With the two trains you could also use a trigger mark on the track and have the first train wait in the station siding till the second train hits that trigger. The exit portal can be set to have trains entering it reappear at the first portal to accomplish a repeated process, however you will need to start the two trains already in place on the main line to accomplish this.

In my experience using one portal to both create and receive trains is problematical. I always split single track into two and have one portal set to create traffic and an adjacent poartal set to accept incoming trains. It seems to work better that way, the only issue being that you need at least a couple of train lengths between the portals and the junction where the track divides...

Andy

program them to keep moving

Good afternoon all.
I having been having a little play with portals to try to understand them fully, but I am hitting a snag which I can't seem to solve. Some back ground...
I have laid a straight flat track about a mile long, with a portal at each end - one emitting, one receiving. Along the track I have placed and named correctly two working stations. I created two consists and scheduled the first to stop at both stations, load at each, and move on to the exit portal; the second train just stops and loads at the second station then goes to the exit portal. The first train runs its schedule fine, but the second on comes out and pulls up just after leaving the portal and will not move until the first train has cleared the second station (this is all on AI of course). In fact before I added some signals the second train wouldn't move until the first train had completely gone through the exit portal.
I built another parallel track but with no stations and and trains run fine, no matter how many consists I throw out and regardless of how fast one after another they come, so I am guessing it is indeed the stations causing the halt.
I could of course leave a longer time gap between the emits, but as I said I am just experimenting at the moment and am wondering if there is something I am missing.
Many thanks.

i've found just the other day to program them to another portal or track mark, i've been running trains from portal to portal and then repeat, try this you might, Jim

It help`s to have them go to a destination such as another portal,yard track or track marker that`s a ways from say the portal the train has spawned from. Like jmehl77 said. Portal Quick Manager can help with this.

Back