Content Manager - Tips and Tricks (any version)

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - please consider making this a sticky, as it is likely to contain very useful information.

Hi Trainzers,

Firstly, let me explain the purpose of this thread. It's to help collect Content Manager tips and tricks for any version of the tool, from Content Manager Plus in Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006 right up to Content Manager 3.6 in Trainz Simulator 12.

When posting a tip or trick, please state which versions it applies to (or 'any version' if it can apply to any version). If you are not sure which Content Manager version you have, it is usually stated in the title bar of the application, as well as in the Help>About option.

I will start things off with a couple of useful tips.

Filtering out content higher than your Trainz version

This can be done by adding the following two search terms to a search.

AND NOT
Minimum Build Version = (version directly above your current version - see http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Trainz-build for the Trainz-build information)

For example, if you have TS2009 SP3, your search would include:

AND NOT
Minimum Build Version = 3.3

Quick way of downloading content

If you wish to download a piece of content quickly using Content Manager, you can right-click the asset and click 'Download'. This will automatically place it into the Download Helper list and start to download it.

Shane

Last edited:
Apologies for the bump, but it appears that there has not been much interest in this thread (gauging by lack of responses), which may be due to it being 'lost' in the haystack of threads.

Another tip with Content Manager (TS2009 and later) involves the View Asset Versions feature, as this can be used to undo problematic updates by deleting the latest version of an asset.

Shane

Apologies for the bump, but it appears that there has not been much interest in this thread (gauging by lack of responses), which may be due to it being 'lost' in the haystack of threads.

Another tip with Content Manager (TS2009 and later) involves the View Asset Versions feature, as this can be used to undo problematic updates by deleting the latest version of an asset.

Shane

As a matter of interest, is it a good idea to delete, (can they be removed without effecting game play), earlier versions of a asset

Most obsoletes, apart from built-in assets, can be deleted without affecting game play.

Be aware though that some assets may report missing dependencies after doing so due to a bug in the system.

Shane

Depends which build number you are after.

For patching purposes, it's the 5-digit number on the Launcher.

For working out which Content Manager version you have as well as working out what the maximum trainz-build you can use, the title bar in Content Manager will tell you.

Shane

Mr. Turner,

I recently built a new desktop, upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, and pulled my old installation from my old HD onto my new one. Everything seemed to work just fine (was able to start the game, open a route, run things, etc.), but I am having one issue. When I open the Content Manager and open a file for editing, I used to be able to go to the folder in NV3/TS12/UserData/editing (I may have gotten some of those folder names wrong; I hope you can get the jist of what I am describing) and see all of the files for the content I was editing. Now that seems to have changed; when I open that folder there is nothing there. Additionally, if I try to use the Commit function it returns an error saying something to the effect that the file could not be saved. Using the Revert button works, but not exactly helpful if you are trying to make changes / update a mesh file. I am using the work-around for the moment of using Explorer and searching for the actual kuid in the hash- folders, but this takes a bit more time to search through to find the exact kuid file in doing so. I am wondering if there is something that I need to do to fix this issue, if that is possible, short of having to re-install the game entirely.

I have tried to go through your tutorials to see if I could find something which would address this, and I did not find anything. However, if I missed something I apologize in advance, and I would humbly request if you could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Regards,
MS (Shane also... :) )P

Last edited:
Hey Shane, this is a good thread you have started. However, I think this should be re-named "The Shane Turner Help Thread"...;)

The only slight niggle I have found with Content Manager recently, that I get a lot of these ?, under "UNKNOWN LOCATION" I am assuming it has a lot to do with the DLS being upgraded, but I am just wondering is anyone else experiencing the same, it doesn't effect downloading through CMP yet.

Many thanks Shane for this great thread, hope this becomes a sticky.

Joe Airtime

That issue is probably due to the DLS issues I'd say - have you tried a database repair? Meanwhile, the thread in my signature is the one I'd probably refer to as that as it has links to most of my other threads.

Shane

Shane

Sorry for the delayed reply; yesterday was pretty much a Trainz free day.

The OS upgrade is relevant here - have you got Trainz set to run as administrator?

Shane

That did the trick wonderfully. Changed it to Run as Administrator, and now all is working as intended.

Many thanks to you, Mr. Turner. You do the Trainz community a far greater service than I am sure you recieve credit for.

Regards,
MSP

Helpful filters:

Out of Date Local
Filter Settings:

Out of Date = True
Location = Local

This saves time by downloading out of date content in Content Manager instead of from the Trainz main menu.

Local Obsolete and NOT Built-in
Filter Settings:

Location = Local
Obsolete = True
AND NOT
Built-in = True

This filter is helpful for content clean-up

Today -- DLS
Filter Settings:

Location = Download Station
AND
Date Installed = Today's date*

This filter is helpful for browsing content by day instead of by a continuous list, making the searching process easier to manage.
*Date can be changed to any previous date to allow for searching past days for content.

Also helpful are the filters for Missing Dependencies, Open for Edit, and Faulty. I can't remember if these are defaults because it's been so long since I have set up my custom filters.

John

Last edited:
They are indeed default filters.

Other useful features:

View Asset Versions - This feature can be used to find different versions of an asset. Very useful if you've inadvertently downloaded a faulty update, or want to download an updated version.

View Errors and Warnings - This is useful both for revalidating content, and for finding out why an asset has a yellow or red ! mark.

Enable Hardware Accelerated Texture Compression - this option can be found on the Miscellaneous tab in the Content Manager settings box. It's advised that the option is unticked to avoid issues with assets having black or multicolour textures.

Shane

I have bought, downloaded, installed and registered my Trains 2012, but when I try to use content manager It tells me it is unable to find a valid serial number on Planet Auran and to click here to register. I click there to register, login to Planet Auran and it lists my Serial number as Registered. It will not allow me to register again. Any clues?

Hi Steviant,

Have you made sure you entered your Planet Auran username and password into the Configure Trainz box (Planet Auran tab)? - this can be re-accessed by clicking Options on the Launcher.

Shane

Depends which build number you are after.

For patching purposes, it's the 5-digit number on the Launcher.

For working out which Content Manager version you have as well as working out what the maximum trainz-build you can use, the title bar in Content Manager will tell you.

Shane[/QUOTE

on content manager it shows version 3.2 what build number would this be

That is the trainz-build value, which determines what the maximum level of content that can be downloaded (as each piece of content has a trainz-build value). The important number for patching purposes is on the Launcher screen, and is a 5-digit number. It sounds like you are running TS2010 at a build below 44088, which I'd advise running at least 44088 for TS2010.

Shane

That is the trainz-build value, which determines what the maximum level of content that can be downloaded (as each piece of content has a trainz-build value). The important number for patching purposes is on the Launcher screen, and is a 5-digit number. It sounds like you are running TS2010 at a build below 44088, which I'd advise running at least 44088 for TS2010.

Shane

Is the launcher screen the window that pops up when you click on Trainz 2010?

Back