Settle & Carlisle Multiplayer Sesison

Just in case the obsolete thing was a problem, I have uploaded a new version of the MP session.

<kuid:459464:100029> Multiplayer on the SnC v1

It is just SnC Multiplayer v3 with a couple of changes to wagons and carriages in sidings. v1 of the old session and the test worked, I hope this one does too!

Kieran.

You should be aware that installing Settle & Carlisle on your computer could screw up other multiplayer sessions that contain UK Content.

You should be aware that installing Settle & Carlisle on your computer could screw up other multiplayer sessions that contain UK Content.

I don't know of any others, other than ECML, that use UK content.

I'd also like to know what causes it to screw up? I haven't had any problems so far.

It is just SnC Multiplayer v3 with a couple of changes to wagons and carriages in sidings. v1 of the old session and the test worked, I hope this one does too!

Kieran.

Kieran, are you saying that you have conducted a successful S&C MP session with 2 or more participants? If so, this surprises me because I did not think Add On packages met the N3V requirements for MP routes. The earlier discussion in this thread suggested you were having problems up to 24th July and you were going to seek advice from helpdesk. Did helpdesk provide advice? What was it?
Assuming for the moment that you have conducted a successful MP session since 24th July, were there any conditions that the players had to meet other than having S&C installed into the same build of Trainz?

Leigh

Addon packs is a strange world when it comes to Multiplayer.

Ones bought from N3V can be used as they are effectively built-in content.

Ones from elsewhere though cannot be used.

Shane

I should also add that it is highly unlikely that anyone with S & C will be able to play my Port Ogden Session as it contains content that is modified by S & C. This is also likely to be reflected in other MP Sessions that contain content such as Limestone Aggregate and butter, pallet.

Kieran, are you saying that you have conducted a successful S&C MP session with 2 or more participants? If so, this surprises me because I did not think Add On packages met the N3V requirements for MP routes. The earlier discussion in this thread suggested you were having problems up to 24th July and you were going to seek advice from helpdesk. Did helpdesk provide advice? What was it?
Assuming for the moment that you have conducted a successful MP session since 24th July, were there any conditions that the players had to meet other than having S&C installed into the same build of Trainz?

Leigh
Hello,

I haven't consulted the helpdesk at all. I was planning to, but it never eventuated. I may still do it though.

I have only had a session with only 2 participants. The host and one player. I had a test session on one of the sub-routes, that worked perfectly. The first version of the old session over the entire SnC worked too. V2 and V3 did not work.

I saw railventure hop on one of the new sessions I started but I heard nothing from him. I might ask him and see if he got in or if Trainz crashed.

Anyone who joins must have installed SnC in TS12 AND run the patch from the settleandcarlisle.co.uk website.

Kieran.

P.S. geovany2009, if we meet in Trainz again, we'll give it a try together.

I have content from TS2009/2010 installed into TS12. Will that affect gameplay in SnC?

If by "gameplay in SnC" you mean "participating in an TS12 S&C MP session", I can think of only of one way that this could be an issue. If an asset imported from TS2009/2010 was an update to an asset used in S&C and the updates were not on the DLS. In that case, if you hosted an S&C MP session, then any participants joining the game would not have access to the update and their attempt to join will fail. If, however, you are not the host but a joining participant, then the unavailable update may not be an issue since the host has set the benckmark version of the asset to a lower level than your update. I'm assuming the update is compatible (a "drop-in" replacement for earlier versions). However, as noted by colourlight in his post above, sometimes a mistake is made and the update is incompatible with earlier versions.

If by "gameplay in SnC" you mean "participating in an TS12 S&C MP session", I can think of only of one way that this could be an issue. If an asset imported from TS2009/2010 was an update to an asset used in S&C and the updates were not on the DLS. In that case, if you hosted an S&C MP session, then any participants joining the game would not have access to the update and their attempt to join will fail. If, however, you are not the host but a joining participant, then the unavailable update may not be an issue since the host has set the benckmark version of the asset to a lower level than your update. I'm assuming the update is compatible (a "drop-in" replacement for earlier versions). However, as noted by colourlight in his post above, sometimes a mistake is made and the update is incompatible with earlier versions.

It is my understanding that different versions are recognized as different assets. So I guess I won't be playing SnC Multiplayer. Oh well.

The main problem with using the updates to SnC is that they are not on the Download Station, which basically means they cannot be used in Multiplayer sessions.

Shane

That should be OK, but it then becomes a question of whether the assets become locally modified.

Shane
They don't, I checked multiple times before I made the MP session.

I have no locally modified assets except for some extra coaches and a Black 5 which aren't in the session. I used a filter with only built-in content to check everything first. That's why I'm so puzzled as to the problem.

It then makes me wonder if other users that may be trying to join such sessions are using the individual updates rather than the patch.

Shane

It then makes me wonder if other users that may be trying to join such sessions are using the individual updates rather than the patch.

Shane

If the MP session host has not used the non-built-in updates when creating the session, then the fact that players who join the session have non-built-in updates installed should not matter, should it, Shane? You refer to a special case where all the assets from the TS2010 S&C Service Pack that are utilised in an MP session have been updated. A player joining the session does not have the Service Pack installed, but has all the relevant updates installed. Since the reference version of assets for the session has been set by the host (who is using earlier built-in asset versions), wouldn't the game simply accept an updated version of that asset for local running on the joining player's installation? Or does MP require that all asset versions used by joining players must be the same as the host, as suggested by Scottbe8 in the top post on this page?

Last edited:
Is there still any interest in doing this.

What I would love to achieve is a Multiplayer session with cmtm (search it if you dont know). I would like to be part of a group of 4/5 people that sit down and run the S&C prototypicaly at least once a month. Is there anyone else out there that thinks this would be the best use of trainz?

Dan

Is there still any interest in doing this.

What I would love to achieve is a Multiplayer session with cmtm (search it if you dont know). I would like to be part of a group of 4/5 people that sit down and run the S&C prototypicaly at least once a month. Is there anyone else out there that thinks this would be the best use of trainz?

Dan
I'd like to be part of that group too, but I'll have to look into CMTM.

Right that's two.

CMTM isn't fit for multiplayer sessions but I'm mailing DAP at the moment. To use the S&C with CMTM lots of rolling stock would have to be upgraded by the creators as far as I know.

Download Connundrem and Pacific CMTM3. Its the test session I have been using.

Dan

Last edited:
Back