Niggling hitch

rjhowie

In my present project I have a puzzling and niggling hitch that I cannot seem to solve. It is a single line that has a loop into double track then goes back to single.

Going from left to right along the main line when a train gets to the junction and the green arrow is set for the left main track it however ignores that and goes onto the loop which is set with the red arrow? To get a train to go as it should I have to switch the junction arrow to red for the main line and the train will go through the red arrow! Signalling adds to the confusion. The signal on approaching the loop when you click on it will tell me the line terminates or is unsignalled (but it is signalled) when set for green arrow. That doesn't happen on the loop if you get the gist of this?

Left to right direction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
\..................................................../

You have indicated that you had signals on this route and were informed that there was a problem with the track? Then the conclusion to be drawn here is that there is a hard-to-see problem with the line you refer to as the main line. This could be that there is a break in the line at a spline point for example. Can you manually drive a train the entire distance of the loop on the main line without it derailing? Are there any joins in the line?

Cheers
Russell.

Your junction lever is indicating the opposite direction from what it should. The track crosses over itself close to the junction and the lever is actually indicating the correct direction; it is the track that is wrong.

Place a spline point very close to the spline point of the junction, on the single line leg of the junction, and straighten the track between the two spline points. That should un-knot the track. If it doesn't then instead, place a spline point on one of the deviating legs and move it around until the arrows are correct.

This problem usually happens when the junction is on a curved piece of track.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

Last edited:
Will look again at the track and remove the section and do it again. As it happens it is on a curve. Will see how this does.

Bobby You may place a Yellow track direction marker on the entrance of the loop line facing the junction, too prevent train entering the loop,this works.
Norm.

Hi RJ.

This is an exagerated view of what is probably happening.

junction.jpg

Cheers,
Bill69

I had the same problem. I was looking for the answer with the search engine but couldn't find it. So I see that Bill69 found it. I eventually had to just rip out the track and lay it again giving thought NOT to have the turnout in a curve. Worked like a charm!! This forum is great for finding fixes. I really appreciate all the help that everyone gives out!
And, nfitzsimmons, my niggling hitch tows my niggles just fine. lol!!!:eek:

I removed the part of track and re-did it following the info got here. It still had to be on the bend as it is in real life as it is part of the set-up approaching Belfast Central and second crossing of the River Lagan. Thanks for the help here seems to be okay now and trust it stays that way!

Back