Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Since the Spanish-American War the US has found itself in a hostile world. Now enemy forces have been building in both Canada and Mexico and the US is preparing to draw up a deceleration of war.

The crew of the Von Falck Armaments factory only just finished putting together a train a little over an hour ago and transferring it to the Norwood yard. Now a pair of the L&A’s fastest freight engines will double head the entire train to its destination. Even the Railfan could not find out where the train's final stop would be, all he found out was the east coast.

The doubleheader is being coupled to the train.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Dave

Early morning passengers look on in concern as the war train rumbles by. A number of these people have family and friends working in the Von Falcks Armaments factory just a block away where these tanks, artillery pieces, and ammo are being made.

The Railfan caught the war train coming through the "trench" in Cincinnati as the locals call it.

High on the hill overlooking the Ohio river is the Holy Cross - Immaculata Parish. A lowly priest looks down to see the war train making it's way east and says a prayer for what could be happening.

Passing the Lunkin airport.

Dave

The L&A has finally developed their own Triplex. The story goes that the top brass at the L&A wanted a real superpower locomotive to be used on some of the tough grades on the L&A along with an engine that could do long freight drags. Seeing some of the problems the Erie was having with theirs the L&A sent two parties out to get the necessary information to build their own. One team of lawyers and accountants went to Baldwin to buy/lease the plans to their Triplex they built. The other team was comprised of the L&A's mechanical engineers, engine crews, and mechanics that went to where the Erie triplexes were operating. Armed with cases of Kentucky bourbon and boxes of fine Kentucky cigars the team set out to talk to the engine crews and mechanics that operated and repaired the massive beasts. Within a few weeks the L&A had what they needed to make improvements to their own Triplex.

This new engine was going to be a necessity because it is looking like the US is heading towards a major war and already the railroads are starting to see an increase in both travel and freight. The L&A Triplex was built to overcome many of its predecessors' shortcomings. The L&A's Triplex would have roller bearings on all the journals, a larger firebox and boiler, twin Simplex automatic stokers, and an auxiliary water tender with a feedwater system to keep the Triplex's tender full at all times to maintain the engines maximum tractive effort, just to name a few. After being built the L&A gave the engine class the name of Atlas and the beginning number 888_ and called by their crews the "crazy 8's".

Here we have the L&A's first Triplex 8881 setting in its siding at the base of the Cincinnati grade waiting for the next freight needing a shove up to Norwood.

Dave

It's just a week before Thanksgiving and an old tradition continues here in the L&A passenger cars shops in Levi KY. J.W. Jennings the conductor on the L&A's famous Shoppers Express is inspecting each and every car to make sure they are up to his exacting standards. No detail will be overlooked, and each car will be spotless and fully stocked with all the accessories the L&A customers have come to expect. The Friday after Thanksgiving a.k.a. Black Friday, will see the L&A's Shoppers Express being setup in its largest consist and being double headed. The train leaves Levi and midnight and arrives in Cincinnati at 8:05am.

I hope to make it one.

On a side note I'm finishing up the Levi & Appalachian V.2 with a few track alignments, more details, and upgraded to HD terrain and textures.

Dave

Back