Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

2020-04-18-200727.jpg

Nope, don't think they did... Still might be in luck. That's a new '10 Ford.

2020-04-18-210716.jpg

Oh... Well, he did tip his hat.

Last edited:
Smyers,
That was my first thought - it looked very much like some of Andrew Wyeth's works, in particular Christina's World. Good call.

Heinrich505

In the early morning light a B&O E27-class 2-8-0 simmers gently at the Steel Mill:

TRS19_Deepwater_06.jpg

TRS19_Deepwater_07.jpg

The locomotive is by K&L Trainz. The layout is "The Deppwater Railroad Co".

Phil

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Now carrying deer antlers which was typical of the early 1860s 4-4-0 of the Union Pacific, as seen on this coal burning example, as a side note, I was not pleased with the texture appearance of four steam engines that rolled out of the paint shop, x-2 4-4-0 Americans, x-1 2-8-2 Mikado as well as a rare 2-4-4-2 articulated mallet,so, I had to correct the mistake and it looks a lot better, the railroad tracks in the shot I'm using are not American but Russian, but there's no rules to say that my Railroad Company can't use this type.

Last edited:
The B&O crossed the Eastern Continental Divide at the Sand Patch but the Western Maryland crossed it at Deal, PA.

TRS19 :D

Last edited:
Norm,
Great shots! I love the narrative that explains what is going on with the helper. I didn't know that B&O used them in that area. :cool:

Heinrich505

Norm,
Great shots! I love the narrative that explains what is going on with the helper. I didn't know that B&O used them in that area. :cool:

Heinrich505

Both the WM and B&O had to use helpers over the Deal and Sand Patch grades. If you look down the tracks from the summits you can find helper tracks near the beginning of grades. I don't think there is a wye on the B&O though, they probably just backed down, that was the NW practice.

Norm,
Wow, I just drove to the Deal summit on Jrfolco's Cumberland to Connellsville in TANE - I didn't load it into TRS19 yet. That is one beast of a climb. I think I hit the 2.00 % mark in the first tunnel. No wonder they needed helpers. I found the wye at the summit where you cut off the helper.

That was really cool - thanks for posting the small vignette of it.

Heinrich505

Norm,
Wow, I just drove to the Deal summit on Jrfolco's Cumberland to Connellsville in TANE - I didn't load it into TRS19 yet. That is one beast of a climb. I think I hit the 2.00 % mark in the first tunnel. No wonder they needed helpers. I found the wye at the summit where you cut off the helper.

That was really cool - thanks for posting the small vignette of it.

Heinrich505

I have to agree these are some great shots.

I think the WM Connellsville Subdivision is rated 1.75% and it starts just west of Cumberland. A lot of routes in Trainz seem to take creative license on grades since to duplicate the real grades would require a few more vertices and straightened track sections than most builders like to use.

Both the WM and B&O had to use helpers over the Deal and Sand Patch grades. If you look down the tracks from the summits you can find helper tracks near the beginning of grades. I don't think there is a wye on the B&O though, they probably just backed down, that was the NW practice.

Norm I was curious why the 2 cabeese in the shot above. But you're correct WM did use 2 in some cases on these runs. But from what I read if the helper dropped off and ran back down to assist another freight it didn't have the 2nd caboose. If it dropped off and ran light to Connellsville it did have a 2nd caboose since it was used to head a freight back to Cumberland and the 2nd caboose was needed to fill out the train crew. Rather than deadhead a loco and crew to Connellsville they used it as a pusher for part of the way.

Keep 'em coming.

Bob Pearson

Back