Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

2019-07-01_001941.jpg

Hi all, these are truly great looking Screen Shots the last one Cab Forward is one of my most favorites,, and I think when I was really young, I saw one in California, but didn't realize the type of Locomotive it was?

Seems to me, it was out in the distance in Desert area.....It is unique, thanks for showing it in Action........

Of course. I reckon you at least saw that it looked like it was running backwards? Either way, I appreciate your fine words and recognize how sentimental my screen-shot is to you. I'm also in the midst of a little Espee craze right now, meaning that I've been receiving a good deal of Southern Pacific models to load into the game and even been tinkering on them.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Another day has this small 0-4-0 steamer switching in the yard but the unusual assignment was a freight train, something mostly left up the slightly bigger steam engines.

LE&E class Z-1 5705 leads a hotshot reefer block eastbound in June of 1944. Having retired most older steam power during the depression while vigorously attempting to modernize their steam fleet, the LE&E was faced with a serious power crunch during the early years of WWII. While as many older locomotives were pulled off of the deadlines as possible, with much of the older fleet sold off, the railroad found it extremely necessary to acquire new power as fast as possible. Delivery of 10 class R-3c Northerns in 1942 barely helped, and with delivery of more FTs blocked by the War Production Board due to other roads receiving priority, the WPB suggested the LE&E (along with partner CA&L) turn to the N&W's Roanoke shops to assist. With traffic levels reaching new peaks by 1943, the 25 class Z-1 2-6-6-4s (based on N&W's class A design) bought the LE&E enough time to wait for other locomotive manufacturers, already stressed by the dual responsibilities of retooling for war manufacturing and shopping out new power for American railroads, to deliver more standard LE&E power. While extremely useful in dealing with wartime demands, the locomotives remained orphans on the LE&E postwar, and were all scrapped or sold off by 1950.

Note the smaller tender behind the locomotive, necessitated by a rear-end collision a little less than a month earlier, severely damaging 5705's tender. Rushing to get the locomotive, relatively unharmed in the incident, back on the road, a tender was borrowed from a 2-10-2 awaiting shop work. The mechanical stoker was hastily modified to fit the massive articulated, and within a few days time the locomotive was back at work. It would retain the tender until August, when a new one would be produced from the LE&E's Cincinnatti shops.

2019-07-01_202522.jpg

Last edited:
Jacksonbarno Nice shot , and nice reskin . It is a shame there's no way to offer some of your work . Maybe ask Steve to put them up at K&L for sale . I'm sure there's more then a little internist in your work . But it's nice just to see the shots . And always nice to see STEAM pulling fright and passenger consist .

Routes looking nice also

Matt

In the L&A alternative history this is the L&A's crack train #62 heading for the port in Charleston S.C out of Cincinnati a few years before the Great Anglo-American war. The L&A bought the rights to produce their own version of the N&W A class for use on the the line.

The crew of 1229 has just cleared the bottoms wye and we begin to backup into the L&A Cincinnati freight house to the #62 train.

L%26A-LCL.jpg

L%26A-LCL.jpg

Train #62 starts with a little street running through the bottoms.

L%26A-LCL.jpg

L%26A-LCL.jpg

Time to leave downtown and head out to the famous L&A speedway as it is known because of almost no grade and a 4 track mainline! The fireman is already opening up the automatic stoker and adjusting the injectors as he knows the engineer will be getting ready to open her up.

She's already doing 70 mph as #62 passes Lunkin Zeppelin port.

Dave

Back