Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

PFE exchange UP #4000 takes over from UP #9000 getting produce from the east coast to California.

:wave:

Last edited:
PFE exchange UP #4000 takes over from UP #9000 getting produce from the east coast to California.:wave:
Rather wouldn't that be from California to the east coast, as most of the produce to NYC distribution centers is guaranteed top priority fast freights within 72 hours from the west coast ?

Rather wouldn't that be from California to the east coast, as most of the produce to NYC distribution centers is guaranteed top priority fast freights within 72 hours from the west coast ?

Good question, I assume that they didn't run those cars empty on the return so I'm guessing Georgia Peaches, Florida Oranges, and Iowa Corn amongst others.

Yay, got Euphod's <kuid2:7592:10180:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain working again. Union Pacific Class MT-1 (MT-73) Numbers 7000-7039 Built 1922 (although #7000 was a coal burner many in the 7000 series were oil fired) Many of these locomotives would have worn the Two Tone Gray livery in the 50's. #7002 was fitted with streamlining for the 49er train in 1937.

Last edited:
That's why I like Trainz models of engines that have been scrapped!;) I have a particular timeline for Trainboi1's YV 4-4-0's and Carson and Colorado 4-4-0's!

Be careful with the butterfly effect, though...taking out the #21 prior to 1929 could potentially put at least one other YVRR engine into forced retirement because of parts that the YV couldn't afford to order new. (Taking the 23 in 1947 from the Modesto Traction Co. would be a fairly easy proposition, but it would have a switcher pilot) As for the C&C 4-4-0s, #1 went to the Eureka & Palisade in 1907, and No. 4 became NCNG #7 in 1929, not mentioning scrapping dates which can be rewritten without much consequence. I try to look out for such things as these, partly because of my own involvement. After all, my WVRR actually buys out the Bullfrog-Goldfield Ry. in 1917 and the Las Vegas & Tonopah upon its insolvency in 1918. As such, I was faced with the problem of motive power, since that _could_ logically mean that all engines from both roads went to the WVRR. Instead, of course, I kept the BG engines, since that was a proper merger, and retained the true-to-life history that the LV&T's numerous 4-6-0s were sold at auction, with the WV only retaining a select amount of rolling stock and 0-6-0 #3, which was to supplement and eventually replace the switcher at Manhattan.
Mind you, that leads to potential issues with the Tonopah & Goldfield, which would see WVRR traffic between Millers and Goldfield on a regular basis, resulting in either a merger, increased lifespan or simply sale to the WVRR after the T&G goes out of business in 1947. It's honestly hard to say.

(Image Snipped)

Yay, got Euphod's <kuid2:7592:10180:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain working again. Union Pacific Class MT-1 (MT-73) Numbers 7000-7039 Built 1922 (although #7000 was a coal burner many in the 7000 series were oil fired) Many of these locomotives would have worn the Two Tone Gray livery in the 50's. #7002 was fitted with streamlining for the 49er train in 1937.

Normhart, you gave me an idea!

In 1921 Baldwin Locomotive Works began construction of a brand new 4-8-2 Mountain type, in order to compete with the new "superpower" steam as built by Lima Locomotive Works. The prototype was completed in 1922, numbered #500, and toured the US working on numerous railroads. Unfortunately for Baldwin, the design did not sell well, and only one railroad became interested in buying: The St. Louis and San Francisco, or Frisco Railroad, which wanted duplicates made to a slightly larger and improved design. This later became known as the 1500 series 4-8-2. Wanting to rid itself of what Baldwin considered a failure, they eventually found a buyer in the Union Pacific, which at the time was looking for the next generation of steam and had previously tested the 4-8-2. The UP received the engine in 1925 and was renumbered 9999x, x standing for experimental, and the text "Baldwin Locomotive Works Experimental Engine No. 9999x" Written under the cab. #9999x was used as a testbed, being constantly upgraded and modified with new technologies that the UP wished to try out. #9999x remained in service, untill 1956 when the UP ceased testing for steam locomotives, and was soon after scrapped in 1958.

727d9dbcf4cff343a5f01a41d7199e82.jpg

A rare sight indeed, UP Experimental Mountain #9999x, UP Berkshire #2310, and UP Hudson #674 are serviced in the early morning light. The year is 1953, and soon the fires will be dropped from all 3 engines as their work is taken over by diesels.

8fba3ba149add5d37b94ca4054f9ed50.jpg

Still exploring the route, can't wait until it becomes the Cumberland to Baltimore route.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

An Alternate History picture of restored equipment at a bridge crossing with Reading 2101 in her Rambling livery pulling a excursion train, A EMD F7(Don't kill me I know it's a steam thread) pulling freight and the W&ARR Texas visiting all the way from Atlanta for a weekend excursion with restored coaches and freight.

If I include my previous Experimental Mountain post, this makes this my 7th "Alternate History" Installment for the UP.

Without further adieu, Alternate History Part 7:

At the end of 1922, Baldwin began a massive advertising campaign to prove it's new locomotive's capabilities. Although at the time many railroads where looking into the 2-8-4 Berkshire as the next big mixed traffic engine, Baldwin was confident that the 4-8-2 Mountain would still be the best all around locomotive a railroad could buy. Touring the US, Baldwin #500 operated on numerous different railroads throughout 1923. No one seemed to be interested in the engine though, as many of the railroads Baldwin tried to offer it to had one or another reason to reject it. The UP and SP rejected the design as both had a large fleet of MT-series mountains, PRR passed it by as it could not be modified to be standardized with other PRR engines, and other railroads like the N&W where in the market for slow drag engines, not fast freight and passenger service engines.

When Baldwin #500 was on tour, it was up with a single Pullman-style heavyweight passenger car. Although looking like a generic passenger car from the outside, inside was there was room for railroad officials, sleeping bunks, a dynamometer, and a small kitchen for preparing food.

6ae20e73e898d0a2860b086f8ecf4ac1.jpg

Here we see #500 making a run over Sherman Hill, during testing on the Union Pacific in 1923. Behind her is a full load of passengers eager to ride behind the brand new engine. The trip got a lot of publicity through the local newspapers in Laramie and Cheyenne.

49eb359bc2fb424fc62f7583afaacf5f.jpg

Many years later, UP #9999x makes a similar run on the same track. During this run UP #9999x was using a brand new fuel oil blend, designed to increase steam output and burn more easily.

a108ed00460596ae2503a6f8aa896f76.jpg

Man that is one nice Vanderbilt tender! (nice screenshot too)

Edit: OK, I just dug through my collection of tenders and I don't have that one, where'd you get it?

Closest I could come was this one.

Last edited:
Back