Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Yes Ken it's like it's been made for the purpose. It's payware, but not really that expensive considering that a really nice locomotive comes with it. This small Mallet is nice to drive, but the engine spec is over boilered and really needs to be knocked back by around 20% I'm too much in a sleepy patch at present to start in on rewriting an engine spec since it's a lot of work to get it right.

Nervous-River-No-20-02.jpg

Last edited:
Ken and KotangaGirl,

Yes, the K&L B&O tender is what I've been using as well. In fact, I purchased the B&O Mikado just to get the tender for use with the other K&L Mikado, the NKP model. I didn't care for the 6-axle tender on that 2-8-2. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the cab roof area till you just mentioned it! For comparison, here's the mallet with one of Ben Neal's new 10k gal. USRA tenders. It's notched for easier access for the fireman..

FZ6HWPK.jpg

The little engine fits on almost any railway. Many thanks, Trainz-Forge folks.

Best,
smyers

Since Mallets with mis-matched tenders seem to be a bit of a theme at the moment I thought I'd post a pic of a pairing I've been running for a while....

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The loco is one of Trainz Forge's Eagle River mallets, absolutely as-downloaded, seen here paired with one of the Central Divide's big oil tenders. Footplate height is spot-on, as is the colour match. I cannot recollect which loco the tender originally belonged to, except that prior to the CD skin edit it was definitely DLS-sourced, possibly paired with a 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 reskin by 'fourteen'....

Andy ;)

Last edited:
I, too, have just tried the K&L B&O Mikado tender with the Eagle River locomotive. It looks good.

In the early morning light the small mallet simmers patiently while a gondola unloads at the Ampz scrap yard:

W%26V%20Steam_10.jpg

W%26V%20Steam_11.jpg

smyers -- as a lover of all that is dirty, grimy and slowly decaying (as most railroads were in the dying age of steam), your screen grabs are outstanding. If I could ask - the building in the background of Post #6162. What is it?

Phil

Sure, Phil. The building is FMA Industrial Modul 38 and the red shipping door is FLO07-Door Large RED 1.

njhVPl9.jpg

The building says Packaged, while the door is DLS. Both very useful.

Best,
smyers

So much creative alternative tender usage. I found 'The Mann, Phrom, Laramee' layout too confusing so I decided to stay with 'The Phootnote & Fourword'. Sorry Phil, my brain is like two handfuls of damp mouldy porridge at the best of times.

Still awaiting the signwriting on its new tender N.R.RR No.19 goes exploring.

jy3496P.jpg

Last edited:
Annie --

In that image above you seem to be missing both the 3D effects of the PBR textures and the TurfFX grasses. They add considerably to the layout, like this:

TRS19_Phootnote%26Fourword_0012.jpg

As for "The Mann", just place a consist on the main station and head out. The switches are set to take you on a complete loop around the layout. The Dispatcher has given you authority to travel at breakneck speed, so a circuit may take you maybe 15 minutes or so.

Phil

Last edited:
Annie --

In that image above you seem to be missing both the 3D effects of the PBR textures and the TurfFX grasses. They add considerably to the layout, like this:

<picture snipped>

As for "The Mann", just place a consist on the main station and head out. The switches are set to take you on a complete loop around the layout. The Dispatcher has given you authority to travel at breakneck speed, so a circuit may take you maybe 15 minutes or so.

Phil

My graphics card is pretty much an historical artifact Phil so I have to keep its settings very much on the modest side. My old ex-lease CoolerMaster computer is also another increasingly vintage item that while very stable and reliable refuses to accept any of the current crop of graphics cards. Eventually I will have to replace it, but I can't really afford to do that yet as I have house repairs that I have to budget for.
I did get Ben Neal's old Mallet around 'The Mann' using the steam controls with 850 tons or so pulling on the drawbar without stalling or messing up so I did give it a go. It's just that the more compact shortline nature of 'Phootnote' appeals to me much more. With the Eagle River Mallets having shown themselves well suited to 'Phootnote' and with a supporting cast of my favourite Baldwins I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with that.

Wow, impressive pics, guys.

Here's spit and polished Fredrickson Willamette now hauling tourists and railfans on the Merrimac Valley Heritage Railway...

mIk5GKV.jpg

Best,
smyers

Andy and smyers --

You guys are teasing us way too much. Those routes look superb. Please hasten to assure us that they will be available from the Download Station. Soon?

Meanwhile, as their locomotive simmers quietly, Chuck & Joe wait for The Dispatcher's authority to proceed:

TRS19_Krashnburne_12.jpg

Phil

#29 2-8-0
#47 2-8-2

The roster of steam right now. I kinda feel a DRGW feeling with all this steam.

Last edited:
Back