Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Anyway...
2018-04-20_161904.jpg

-Ben

UP 3710 roars out of tunnel number 2 at Alray, California, holding back 97 cars destined for Los Angeles. Maintenance on track 2 necessitated the temporary re-route of westbound traffic over the newer 1913 line, between Summit and Pine Lodge. It's the summer of 1940, and as the effects of the depression are beginning to fade, traffic is beginning to pick back up again. With war brewing on the horizon, it wont be long before railroads are stretched to their capacity.

pvupC2a.jpg

@normhart - seldom, if ever, have I felt so fortunate when paging through the portal pics as when finding these. Just wow (or cluck).

What color would a planet's sky be, for bright yellow to constitute a good camo color?

October Sky - Norfolk & Western 4501

dot182.jpg

Whistles a' blowin and bells-a-ringing, Southern Railway-leased N&W Ms-1 Mikado #4501 steams past the camera en route to Parker, WV with a full coal drag, 1957.

ATSF 3789 waits in the siding at Gish with a westbound extra in 1954. Both the siding at this location and the 2-10-2 in charge of the train do not have much time left. The Santa Fe eliminated the siding in 1955, and a year later the massive 2-10-2s were all taken off the roster.

HviS7B2.jpg

@normhart - seldom, if ever, have I felt so fortunate when paging through the portal pics as when finding these. Just wow (or cluck).

What color would a planet's sky be, for bright yellow to constitute a good camo color?

I do believe that it is camouflage for amphibious operations, after all, who would question rubber duckies floating around in their harbor?

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Note this is the "Steamshots" thread and the dirigible is steam powered. :D

Last edited:
About 10 miles out of town is where many of the railroads start to converge to gain access to the Cincinnati stations; Cincinnati Grand Central and Cincinnati Union Terminal.

Here we catch the Midwest Hiawatha blasting through one of the city's industrial areas.

nixYPfS
nixYPfS.jpg

tRpxWYf.jpg

She's heading for the Western Hills viaduct and another converging line is just to the west of her.

2RAjtNp.jpg

Just passing the stockyards/ slaughterhouses and Zinzinnati Zeppelin.

VxYQdid.jpg

J5iDrhg.jpg

She's in town now.

6qUIcea.jpg

Passing the big wye and getting ready to back in to her track.

kCIoF2L.jpg

Dave

UP 3812 leads the first section of the all-Pullman Los Angeles Limited up Cajon Pass in the spring of 1942. While streamliners epitomized the glitz and glamor of the rails, even in wartime, the burden of moving passengers, troops, and mail fell on secondary trains like this. Second, third, and fourth sections of secondary tier passenger trains became the norm, and railroads sometimes struggled to keep up with travel demand.

ZMSBTgk.jpg

5yCLpog.jpg
fOsqOQz.jpg
bZDE4BI.jpg

Last edited:
Back