Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Nice fleet of 2-8-2 mikados Smyers, just as you did, I had some trouble when filling up my own steam roster.

Many thanks, UP5521. It's really a great concept, if a bit challenging at first. I hope Ben does more like this. They are an impressive sight out on the main.

OHyv7JM.jpg

smyers

Hey Piere, how are you doing? Yes, it's quite a package, and can be intimidating. Basically, you're modifying the config.txt file for each appliance or change you want to make. For example, there is an entry for "fm_water" .That's where you'd change the entry for the Elesco heater. The available parts are given in a readme.html that comes with the undecorated versions. However, there's a lot more to it as there are clean and weathered meshes for the various parts and for the engines as well. You could easily install a weathered stoker, for example, on a clean engine. To be honest, all my kit bashes are based on copies of the NYC version, even though the undecorated versions are intended for re-skinning. That's because I couldn't begin to make Ben's numbering methodology work for me. Anytime I tried, Trainz went into melt-down. The NYC model uses a font that's very close to mine, and it gave me the numbering. Ben gives us *.psd files, that's how I "cleaned up" the dirty NYC engine. I did run into problems with some items not being found (even though I could see them right in their proper folders!!), mainly the headlights. So D/L all the files and get to know them a bit. Then try one mod, then another and see how it goes. Make copies of your config files as you go! Good luck, Piere.

Best,
smyers

G'day Smyers,

Thanks for the info. I've had a quick look at that readme and boy, it does look intimidating. Especially to someone who is not too familiar with the terms and equipment.

I'll need to set aside some time to read a bit more in-depth and experiment a bit I think.

BTW, are your shots taken on the Hudson and Western, or another of your own creations?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Piere.

Hey Piere,
Yes, it can be a challenge, but the results are worth it, big time. I might suggest that you D/L a couple of Trainboi1's reskins, especially the B&O and PRR ones. Not only do they look great, but he has moved or changed some elements on each which may give you a hint or two on how it's done if you compare config files. The route is my own I tried a while ago, just to run some of the terrific road engines available. The Hudson & Western is a much better choice.

Best,
smyers

Wonderful collection of screen shots from the several threads where you posted them. And I'd never heard of the Texas version of "Horseshoe Curve".

Hello from France,

certainly one of the best picture of steamers !!!

Very realistic, and perfect light...

Congrats , friendly, Marc

Getting a little better at this...

IuyHfy4.jpg

Managed to change headlights on 1021. I just sat there with the mesh folder open to check for names and typos. I did get angled number boards to work, but in doing so I lost the numbering. Went back to straight number boards.

smyers

Wonderful collection of screen shots from the several threads where you posted them. And I'd never heard of the Texas version of "Horseshoe Curve".
Neither had I until a little while ago when I was looking at the old Sunset Route ROW on Historical Aerials. I then did some research about but not much came up about the area other than Timetables. It is also called "Torcer Curve". Link:https://www.historicaerials.com/location/31.125/-105.625/T1943/16

Ericmp,
The Blue Comet shots are great. That is such a neat engine and consist. I forgot I have that set. I need to dust it off. Now we need Qaz to put together his New Jersey route so we can properly run it through Jersey. :wave:

Heinrich505

Any chance of seeing some more of it please?

Sure, Piere. It's really pretty simple, Based on an Andy Sperandeo trackplan, and designed for branchline runnng with small 4-6-0s, 4-4-0s, 2-8-0s and the like. Many of the radiuses are too tight for a Mikado, so I'll just disguise the viewing angle...

6mCoGtu.jpg

2CPY7YO.jpg

o4NZV7H.jpg

I'm actually re-building much of it as there are so many more assets available since I started it some three years ago.

Best,
smyers

Heinrich505:
Thank you! I’m a big fan of this set too. Certainly one of the more colourful steamers out there.

smyers and DON49PLM:
Very nice shots! You two are highly talented route builders. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
ericmp

Thanks for the added images Smyers. A lovely looking layout.

Another great shot as always too DON49PLM.

Cheers,
Piere.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I Came up this Baldwin built class of J-3s which has the footboard pilot and an oil tender and passenger hoses, other than that, not much has changed from their coal fired counter-parts aside from the removal of the coal stoker and the addition of the sun shade and ahead of the cap stack is a little lamp to help the fireman with the density of the smoke that only oil fired steam engines have, although, usually a freight design, don't be surprised if these pop up on passenger trains from time to time.

Last edited:
Back