Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

unknown.png

Many thanks, Claus! I'm going to try uploading this tiny switching route as sort of a proof of concept, so I'm being much more careful as to where assets come from unlike the previous ones. The PBR ground textures are creating exasperating terrain height issues near track, buildings and other assets. Otherwise, not too bad!!.
Best,
smyers

I will go as far, as to reinstall TRS19, just to be able to try it

That'd be great, Claus. Much appreciated. I actually have a nearly identical route progressing in T:ANE where the going has been much easier...

qWn70CG.jpg

3hsLf4F.jpg

In the T:ANE urban environment the turfFX and clutter aren't really needed and I'm not fighting terrain height issues with PBR textures. TRS19 and T:ANE each seem to have their advantages, though it's hard to say that one is "better" than the other.

Best,
smyers

Many thanks, Felix.

Still quite a ways to go on the TRS19 route as I'm finding it much more difficult to achieve the desired affect, especially the terrain height...

WKrtI8d.jpg

If I paint the terrain with a given PBR texture, individual squares of the grid may or may not rise and cover the track or sink below the track making the track appear as if floating over the ground. The terrain tools may or may not resolve the issue. Using a different PBR texture may or may not fix it. Same with buildings and other assets. A square of the grid, or more, may flip up the side of a structure or sink below it, creating a "gap" between the building and the ground. I don't know if the 3-D affect of PBR is worth it. None of this occurs in T:ANE. On the other hand, I have a continuous running route set in a regular semi-rural environment, using regular ballasted track and PBR, clutter, turfFX etc which looks fine. In fairness to TRS19, I may be using it in a way or for a purpose for which it was not designed.
Best,
smyers

Superb scenes, Steven :).

Your screenshots on this page, could easily pass as scenes from a State of the Art superdetailed model railroad.

Best regards Claus

smyers --

I agree that the PBR textures can be hard to work with, and that some are far too "bumpy" to be of much use. But I have to admit that PBR + TurfFX produces a much more satisfying result than could ever be achieved in T:ANE.

I've found that you just cannot mix PBR and non-PBR textures and that near and around the railroad track the scale has to be set to the minimum possible setting.

This is the Klozett Railroad (it's on the Download Station if anyone is interested). An urban setting. For the purposes of this thread the "steam" part starts at about 5:20 and again at about 13:20:

Phil

Last edited:
Many thanks, Phil. I'm glad it's not just me. Agreed do not mix PBR and legacy textures unless you want quite a mess. I've just D/Led the Phootnote & Fourward and use it as much for reference as to drive. I'll have to get this one, too. The dock scenes look great.

Superb scenes, Steven

Many thanks, Claus!! I'm still going to finish the T:ANE version for those that may want it. It's much further along than the TRS19 one. I'll keep plugging along on the TRS19 one as well.

Best to All,
smyers

Smyers ,
I concur with all the others. Your route really looks fantastic. I’m happy to hear you are still plugging away at both versions. Your screenshots are superb, and I love the shots of the 0-4-0. That was my first HO steam engine. Of course I had to get old 94 when I saw it at K&L Trainz. I’m really looking forward to running this route. I had a lot of fun on Philskene’s Klozett Railroad too. His session was challenging and fun.

The real enjoyment comes from being right down trackside with the engine amidst all the building details. Then you can appreciate all the hard work being done. Your details really shine in the screenshots.

Heinrich505

Many thanks for your comments, Heinrich505. They are much appreciated. I actually got Trainz after seeing 94 at the K&L site. Here's ex-CN O18 on the TRS19 version...

jcTyppj.jpg

It's coming along. I've had to re-engineer this area because the JR Generic Warehouse used to sit where that box car is. It has apparently become a Club Car asset making it, in effect, a payware item. So I'll get something else in there.

Best Regards,
smyers

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

with the cab windows open, this 2-8-2 Mikado engine eases through a maze of switches with a string of coal hoppers in tow, it is a good thing that the engine and tender is painted black because otherwise the sight of coal dust would have angered the Engine cleaners at the steam shop.

Many thanks, Claus!! I'm still going to finish the T:ANE version for those that may want it.
Best to All,
smyers

Oh that is fantastic news smyers. The incredible work of people such as yourself, Felix_g and Scratchy are a great inspiration (and education) for my meager efforts. I really look forward to the chance to have a "walk around" one of your layouts in TANE.

Thank you also for the recent release of your textures onto the DLS too. They have been perfect for some of my recent work on my group of merged routes.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Piere, that's great to hear. There's no D/L counter that I'm aware of so you can't tell if anyone's using your stuff! Here's the T:ANE route from a similar vantage point. I got the big JR Industries building in where the Generic Warehouse was...

d9FwX4z.jpg

Switcher is K&L O9a. What a gem.

Best,
smyers

Back