Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Was the decision of your Tidewater Railroad to switch to steam power inspired by the situation where old steam locomotives from the turn of the century can sometimes be spotted hauling modern freight equipment on the Strasburg?

maxresdefault.jpg

Was the decision of your Tidewater Railroad to switch to steam power inspired by the situation where old steam locomotives from the turn of the century can sometimes be spotted hauling modern freight equipment on the Strasburg?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes it was my decision to use steam on not just freight trains but on passenger trains, the railroad has always been run using only steam power because they not only don't like diesels but they bring out the railfans.

Last edited:
Yes it was my decision to use steam on not just freight trains but on passenger trains, the railroad has always been run using only steam power because they not only don't like diesels but they bring out the railfans.

I respectfully disagree with UP5521, almost and honestly. It is my belief the Tidewater Railroad would have retire steam by the early 1960's before the line's water towers were dismantled. But in later years when a shortage of motive power increased by 1986, steam was brought back to the line - only with stored powerful-capacity tenders acquired since water and coal were extremely rarer along the line. Up until now, only five samples of steam remain on Tidewater Railroad; mainly for excursion use and primarily for revenue service from local small companies.

I respectfully disagree with UP5521, almost and honestly. It is my belief the Tidewater Railroad would have retire steam by the early 1960's before the line's water towers were dismantled. But in later years when a shortage of motive power increased by 1986, steam was brought back to the line - only with stored powerful-capacity tenders acquired since water and coal were extremely rarer along the line. Up until now, only five samples of steam remain on Tidewater Railroad; mainly for excursion use and primarily for revenue service from local small companies.

Hmm,I see what you are saying I am retracting part of I said, I suppose I could have diesels be backup power just in case.

Troubling times...After America won the Spanish American War the US is finding itself in an arms race with its new colonies soon to be states. With the Philippines the first to join the union and the other islands soon to follow both Europe and Asia see the US as a threat to the old order. Already there are troop build ups in Canada and Mexico and in Asia both Russia and Japan are starting to rattle their swords. The railroads are running around the clock moving man, machine , and material to factories getting ready for what many feel could be a 1st World War.

Lpv1mRr.jpg

Below yet another large 14 inch railgun was just finished in Norwood and is now being shipped to the Atlantic coast for shore protection. The farm equioment dealer in Covington Kentucky just put up a new billboard showing Caterpillar getting into the war effort.

2Q0wqto.jpg

WuOMeEC.jpg

Dave

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The locomotive was first seen on the mainline with a string of empty hoppers and then later at the coal loader topping the tender off with coal and water and the cars loaded as the sun shines.

The first NYC J1 Hudson was made in 1927, just to let you know.

Therein lies the beauty of Trainz and Alternate history. The timeline on which I'm building my route mainly lies between the 1920s and 1930s. I posted the newspaper editorial cartoon to give the idea the American manifest destiny pushed to the extreme.

Not much information is available on what freight trains actually looked like back in the mainland US during the final months of WW1.

Actually there is plenty of information if you do a quick google search. Considering there isn't any set "rules" to how a freight train would be made up, any assortment of cars from 1900-1920 would suffice. If you are unsure just look at pictures on google and copy what you see. Also considering the US was already supplying ammunition, weapons and materials to her allies long before the US actually joined WWI, the make up of trains doesn't change much in that time period.

Most of the USRA stuff from Jointed Rail, upon further inspection, appears to have been built after the war, though the dates were plausible ones probably just randomly picked to be put on to the cars.

the usual power for this train as it runs between the road on both sides, was suppose to be a 4-8-4 Northern but a change came in the form of the normally freight hauling 2-8-0 Consolidation which was designed to move impressive loads at unimpressive speeds, these engines were built for power not speed such as this one.

Well, this is just pleasant! The moment the ATSF 2900 series northern comes out, it's plagued with bugs! Please hurry and fix it already, man!

Back