Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

70E7687C23CA16CD8AC9B551BE0719C6AA5DFA2F

D1B0957F86FDE959CA934CCD5E2E27E3411EEF66

388A7B6AFBE6C056D9B41566C890CD500BA789FC
5BFA15D929D5BE00412975E46E9B9B6412DEC75A

6ADA3C027DAE05DB5AD2EE4B90B0C9656DBBE389

BE6C0C96F1F332B9869A35D8F4428210F26F4BE2

D3E955D64638ACD216845009B728BC8A331137B1
That looks amazing. Love the locomotive and passenger consist. Am excited for its release soon.

ebQGQ5L.jpg

This is as close a recreation of a scene from Sept 11th 1911 when the only troop train that was run on the Uintah met with a regular passenger train hauled by number 21 .
i don't have the tool car that was part of the train , Shay number 2 or any of the troops. The wye had not been installed yet. Otherwise its close.

... UP 9021 4-12-2 by thecowboy ... in diorama Heart2Hendee ...

Nice shots of the 9000 Zsuda! I forgot that the Old Cowboy Works made the 9000 way back in TS12! It took a while of searching but I finally managed to find my old copy and dusted it off on the Powder River Basin! It looks as good as did back then!

vtf9tnW.jpg
[/IMG]

0DQyLua.jpg
[/IMG]

6TiMLfV.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
gdoLjl7A_o.jpg

On a warm Summer's evening, as the shadows start to fall, B&M 3711 makes the last stop for passengers, before the sprint to Boston.

Two tracks over, New Haven 3200 heads a long string of empties, destined for a nearby mine, but she'll have to wait for the passenger train to clear the main before proceeding. The busy night-time freight operations are about to begin.

On the yard spur, switcher NH 3429 fumes with impatience, waiting for the two trains to clear the mainline. The engineer has to switch one more car, but can't get to it until the main is cleared. He's still got to straighten out the other cars in the yard, seen off to the right, so this delay is holding him up. Chances of finishing up before dark are still good, due to the long summer days.

Heinrich505

Tanker --

Yes, amazing work from The Cowboy. I think he poured his heart and soul into those 9000s. Such a pity they are no longer available.

But at least The Dispatcher managed to snare one for The InterCity Railroad. Chuck & Joe pose #9021 for a few snap shots:

UP%209000_05.jpg

UP%209000_02.jpg

UP%209000_04.jpg

UP%209000_06.jpg

Phil

... nice shotz, philskene and tanker46 .. as the 9000 has nearly smoke from the pipe, above speed of 10, i cloned the 9000 and managed some smoke-specs from the "old" NKP S-2 by ocemy ...

up9000-by-thecowboy-in-diorama-crackit.jpg

Hi Zsuda --

I think that The Cowboy overcooked the steam effects. I'm not sure why, for example, there is a plume of steam from under the tender. If it was oil fired then it was essential to use steam heating of the tender to keep the heavy bunker fuel sufficiently liquid to feed into the fire box. But this is a coal fired locomotive. And the cylinder drain cocks -- too much steam for too long.

For me the steam and smoke effects of the locomotives by Ben Neal are the "Gold Standard". See for example the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 of his that I uploaded to the Download Station. On his locomotives the drain cocks close at 5mph. And there is a trace of steam escaping from the piston glands at the back of the cylinders.

It's been so long that I can't remember, but I think I used Ben's steam effects as a template when I modified the 9000s. See in this video, which also shows the two types of valve gear for the middle cylinder on the 9000-class -- the conjugated and the double Walschearts.

It's a pity that these locomotives are no longer available. And that those who do have them cannot share them.

Phil

Phil,
Really great video. I love the shots of the engines - they look so cool! Chuck and Joe were really showing off for the cameras by driving slowly and so smoothly so we could see the gear operations. They can drive anything and make it look like child's play.

Thanks for posting. :cool:

Heinrich505

Nice shots of the 9000 Zsuda! I forgot that the Old Cowboy Works made the 9000 way back in TS12! ...

I think TRS06 was out when Shane finished them up. They're early steam by Trainz standards. Updated once by Shane and then by Bill69.

Hi Zsuda --

I think that The Cowboy overcooked the steam effects. I'm not sure why, for example, there is a plume of steam from under the tender. If it was oil fired then it was essential to use steam heating of the tender to keep the heavy bunker fuel sufficiently liquid to feed into the fire box. But this is a coal fired locomotive. And the cylinder drain cocks -- too much steam for too long.

For me the steam and smoke effects of the locomotives by Ben Neal are the "Gold Standard". See for example the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 of his that I uploaded to the Download Station. On his locomotives the drain cocks close at 5mph. And there is a trace of steam escaping from the piston glands at the back of the cylinders.

It's been so long that I can't remember, but I think I used Ben's steam effects as a template when I modified the 9000s. ...

... video removed

Phil

I can only think it probably had a huge steam stoker engine below the footplate. I'm getting old but I think Ben provided an attachment pt and smoke container for his larger locos to represent this and also a sound file to go with it. I can't remember what Shane did for the 9's. We didn't have the new steam sound and physics when they originally came out. As noted Shane and then Bill69 made an authorized update a few years back for verified owners. I know Bill's update used a 2 cylinder loco espec and a 2 cylinder engine sound asset. Which is definitely not correct for this loco.

The 9's had 3 double acting simple expansion cylinders so you should see and hear 6 exhaust puffs and cuffs per rev. For some reason the locos in the video only seem to produce 3 which shouldn't happen (but maybe the espec/sound asset can) so there should be about 2 times as much smoke/exhaust as we see here. The sound has a 2 cylinder syncopation to it and deserves a 3 cylinder one if you can find one for a loco this size. Trainz never makes it simple - espec and engine sound assets and smoke containers have to be made to work together to get just the right smoke and sound effect. I'm still trying to perfect the proper technique. But they're beautiful locos - some of the best early steam efforts in Trainz - and those of us lucky enough to own a set can mod them to suit - though the encrypted scripts and txf files don't help in that effort you, have to replace them if you don't like it.

And Phil that's not a cut at you as noted even Bill's update isn't right for this loco and what you've done for Trainz and Trainzers goes without saying. But a lot of users don't seem to care as long as it smokes and cuffs, barks and spits fire occasionally. I view it as a simulation and believe there's a lot of room for improvement.

If I may I will nit pick about the smoke in this video. It looks like most of the steam locos I imported into TRS19 basically a plain drab whitish color. I spent hours working on smoke in TS12 and TANE and they looked pretty good to me - white misty steam and black and brownish coal smoke mixed in various proportions to form the stack exhaust. Import them into TRS19 they all come out this bland whitish color. Somebody messed up and Zec says it must be me because you can get all this beautiful stuff puffing out in TRS19 except all I see is the bland drab whitish whatever coming out the stack. I'm convinced it's not me but it doesn't help. 8-(

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Hello Bob
To blame is the new Australian anti-smoke-bill. The smoke has to come clean and white out of the chimney. :D

These locomotives are beauties. I am glad, that I have both versions, the one by thecowboy and the other by bill69.

Regards
Swordfish

thankz philskene, for the techtips and the vid ... like to see your config modification, to see how it can be done ...
thankz rpearson, for extensive technical details and your point of smokeview ...

... i actually have to confess to you that i'm a naive 71 young boy with a huge lack of technical train background, so what you are telling is completely new to me .. and yes, indeed : i'm such a guy, who goes for the eye- and ear-sensation ... and very grateful for the expension of my knowledge .. i will surely examine your configs, bob .. all my respect ..

grtz
daveric

Hi Bob --

Thanks for those comments. They are very informative.

I used the Pevsoft mesh viewer to look at the attachment points on the underside of the tender. Towards the front of the tender is one "a.steamstokerbox". So you are absolutely correct about the steam stoker engine used to feed coal into the firebox. There are also a.steam0 through 3 in the centre underside. All four attachment points are at the exact same location but pointing in different directions. I have no idea what was intended here.

Yes, the sound is not correct for a three cylinder locomotive. I came across this youtube video of a 9000 underway. The syncopated sound is at 4:14. 1-2-3-pause-1-2-3-pause ... . It does sound very unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YhtAYraQc0

Smoke. Yes, it slightly irritates me too. It looks more like I'd expect from an oil fired locomotive.

The Bill69 update? For authorised owners? I didn't know about this. Are there any significant changes? Not that it's particularly relevant now, as these wonderful creations now disappear into the mists of digital time.

Phil

Edit --
I've just trawled through my HDD. I see that I have "payware_(password_******)_UP9000_Class_Package1_v2.exe", installed on my HDD 24/12/2007. So maybe I do actually do have and am using the Bill69 update. Is that roughly when the update was released?

Last edited:
Hi Bob --

The Bill69 update? For authorised owners? I didn't know about this. Are there any significant changes? Not that it's particularly relevant now, as these wonderful creations now disappear into the mists of digital time.

Phil

Edit --
I've just trawled through my HDD. I see that I have "payware_(password_******)_UP9000_Class_Package1_v2.exe", installed on my HDD 24/12/2007. So maybe I do actually do have and am using the Bill69 update. Is that roughly when the update was released?

The update of Bill69 was published some time after the publication of TANE, as far as I remember. The locomotive was driving fine under TANE but there was no smoke, coming out of the stack during driving. The update of Bill69 changed that, but the smoke has lost its nice glowing sparks.

Regards
Swordfish

Phil

Edit --
That sounds like Shane's update. Bill's was for TANE as Swordfish said. IIRC you had to contact him directly to get the update. I just found them on the HD dated 7-23-2017 thru 7-30-2017 so that time frame. 13 files in total.

Bob Pearson

Back