Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

And this is my first route I've built from the ground up in TRS2019; The Muskatawnee & Caprio Southwestern. Nestled between New Hampshire and Vermont, this quaint little shortline is considerably notorious yet famous for it's interurban and street running services. Rostering such locomotives as the X11a 4-8-4T and the JA-1 (As a tribute to the late great John Allen) class 4-10-0, these interurban workhorses certainly knew how to mingle their way through traffic, while getting their job done.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Many thanks to Approach Medium and the real life Southern Michigan RR in Tecumseh for inspiring me. Don't bother asking for the K&L Reskins, obviously, but been thinking about asking CPLW about releasing the 4-10-0, along with the route.

The Railfan happens to be in Maysville KY. at the C&O repair shed today and got a few quick shots before being noticed by the crew :hehe:.

Dave

G'day All,

I took some of Togog's lovely DRGW locos and rolling stock for a run on the wonderful Baxter's Pass route by ljaguilar, from Trainz Route Workz (available HERE, if you haven't seen it yet).

I have only just found / downloaded this route, but it looks very nice and makes for a great, scenic trip. And, if you use cab mode for driving (I don't), I can only imagine that the 7-8% grades must be "interesting" ;)

Cheers,
Piere.

Nice screen shotz. The route looks impressive.

If you want to try Togog's locomotives on another narrow gauge route I have one on the Download Station. It is also challenging:

Phil

G'day All,

I took some of Togog's lovely DRGW locos and rolling stock for a run on the wonderful Baxter's Pass route by ljaguilar, from Trainz Route Workz (available HERE, if you haven't seen it yet).

I have only just found / downloaded this route, but it looks very nice and makes for a great, scenic trip. And, if you use cab mode for driving (I don't), I can only imagine that the 7-8% grades must be "interesting" ;)

Cheers,
Piere.

They must look funky going around Morro Castle. Those locomotives were never designed to take that kind of curve. :hehe:

Appreciate the kind words on the route!

They must look funky going around Morro Castle. Those locomotives were never designed to take that kind of curve. :hehe:

Appreciate the kind words on the route!

Yeah, I figured they probably weren't the best match for the route (prototypical knowledge isn't my strong suit), but I just thought it was fun to grab some nicely done trains and go for a scenic run on a nicely done route (and thanks for creating and sharing it too).

Cheers,
Piere.

I didn't know where to post this, so I'm asking for an indulgence, a dispensation, to post it here.

Yes, this thread is for screen shots. But this is a video.
Yes, it's "Screenshots USA". It is set in the USA, though it is a model railroad. It is a steam locomotive, but European, though it has been Americanized by the fitting of North American knuckle couplers and a North American whistle.

Best watched full screen and at 1080p or 1440p (the higher resolution is notably better, though it does depend on Internet connection and monitor resolution):

_____

For those interested:

The locomotive:

The locomotive is by togog.
I used one of Peter Villaume PEVSoft tools, "Attachment Maker", to make an attachment mesh for the knuckle couplers on the locomotive and tender.
The whistle is by K&L Trainz.
I made some of the textures of the locomotive and tender 20% brighter using Faststone Image Viewer. This allows the wonderful details in the mesh to become visible. And the two tone greys look nice too.

The video:

For a long time I have been using FAPS (payware) to record videos and more recently Shotcut (freeware) to edit the videos, adding the transitions, the fade ins and outs, adding the text, adding the music.
But FRAPS is just not cutting it anymore. The maximum resolution is 1080p and it introduces lots of stuttering.

I've tried OBS Studio (freeware) and Bandicam (payware). Both are excellent. Both allow high resolution recording with only a slight impact on frame rates and only minor stuttering.

However and despite numerous requests in the OBS Forums, OBS does not give any on screen indication that a recording is being made.
Eventually The Dispatcher pointed me to a web site predating Roman times for a solution. The Despatcher deciphered the ancient hieroglyphics as "Use the Scroll Lock key as the keyboard shortcut for recording -- then although you will still not have an on screen indication, you will have an indication light on your keyboard". I've also used the Caps Lock key for screen grabs.

Bandicam is similar to FRAPS. The frame rate indicator changes from green to red while recording.
The disadvantage of Bandicam, apart from the cost, is that it does not record at a constant bit rate, which seems to be essential for Shotcut.

Anyway, for the video I thought Bandicam was marginally better than OBS, Shotcut made a constant bit rate version of the Bandicam video (which blew out in size from 14.8GB to 88.7GB), and the edited and compressed version that I uploaded to youtube finished at a more manageable 4.6GB.

Phil
_____

Edit --

I've received a PM pointing out that these locomotives were actually built in North America and sent to Europe to overcome a shortage of motive power after WW2. This Wikipedia article confirms this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_Class_141R

Over 1,000 locomotives were delivered.

Plaques-de_-constructeurs-de-141-R.jpg

For a North American locomotive they look extremely graceful:

141-R-568-a.jpg

Last edited:
I've received a PM pointing out that these locomotives were actually built in North America

I have a 1946 Lima Locomotive Works magazine ad that shows one of these being load aboard ship for delivery to Europe. It also shows H-8, NKP Berk, etc. "Don't sell these steam giants short. They have their place, and in their place are unsurpassed.", it says.

Best,
smyers

Back