Multiplayer Tips, Tricks, Fixes and Other Things

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
So I have noticed from time to time that many questions about multiplayer are brought up. Or other issues are asked. Then there is also so much that some one who has yet to even try multiplayer might want to know before even trying it. So let me try to address as many thing as I can as fast and easily as I can. All of this applies to T:ANE and Trainz Mac.

What is Multiplayer?
Multiplayer, or MP, is just like driving a train in any other scenario in Trainz. With the exception of there is no set task to complete, and all the AI trains are not AI trains, they are fellow players siting at a computer just like you are. And they may come from other parts of the world yet here they are, siting in the locomotive right next to yours.

How do I join a Multiplayer Session?
Simple, download any route and session that has the multiplayer rule in it. Most will have MP or Multiplayer in the title or description. Most of the time, some one will post on the forums stating that they will be hosting a MP session, and which route you will need. UMR has a 24/7 session going, that all ways has a few people. Some times UMR has a password, this is in response after a few players decided to crash trains and make a mess of every thing. (See MP Etiquette further down)

Can I play multiplayer on my own route?
Yes, but there are a few rules to this. First of, the route its self MUST be on the DLS, as well as the session. And to add to that, all assets must be on the DLS or built in as well. I know that Jointed Rail EMD SD60M in BNSF that you paid $10 for is the best locomotive you have ever seen, but its not on the DLS so you can't have it in your session. And here's another twist, all the assets for the asset must be on the DLS as well. So that really cool ZMCX Mechanical Reefer is just what your meat packing plant needs to haul away fresh meat. But the trucks for it come from RR mods and are not on the DLS, meaning the car is a no-go for MP sessions.

Can I host a session?
You sure can! It just has to meet all of the above requirements for an MP Session. You can even password protect your session. Meaning only those with the pass word may join. This means if you really only want to have your few friends join your session, and no one else to come in and muck things up, put a password on it and tell only your friends. If you don't have a password, then any one may join. Only set a password if you want to have just your friends join, other wise, leave out the password and you might get to meet new people who you'll want to invite to those private sessions.

How do I talk to others?
There are a few ways you can communicate with other players. There is the in-game text box.The other method, and what most people use, is Team Speak (http://www.teamspeak.com) often called TS. Most sessions use TS to talk with voice communication. But its a big thing to set Push To Talk. (See MP Etiquette next)

MP Etiquette
There are a few things to remember when running in a session and when using TS. First off, on TS, make sure to set Push To Talk, PTT. This means you will have to push a button, that you set, to talk to others. You do this so that way we, the other players, don't hear your dog barking, or your door bell, your mom telling you to do the dish's, your wife telling you to do the dishes, or any other noise that might come form you house. Nothing is worse then hearing every thing that is going on in the background of some one else's house.
Also, remember that other people will want to run trains. So don't try to pull EVERY car with EVERY locomotive. The more you have in your train, the less there is for every one else.

Tech Tips
Some things that you can do to try and optimize your MP experience.
First off, go to Speed test.net and test your computers connection speed. If your ping is high, or your upload or download speeds are low, this will show you. If so, there are a few things you can do. First, Power Cycle your internet modem, and your router. This means shut them off for 2 min, then turn them back on. Wait about 2 more min afterwords then test again. If you still have bad results, try adjusting your routers settings. Read your routers institutions for help there. If you still have low results, then you may need to get a hold of your Internet Service Provider.

Requirements
To be able to play multiplayer in TS12 or T:ANE, you should have the latest build of the game. At the moment of writing that would be build 49922. You can find this number in the bottom right corner on your start-up screen. If you do not have the latest build, go to options on that start-up screen and find where you can enter your username+password; you will find a patch button on that screen.
To be able to see active multiplayer sessions, you need to have the route downloaded on your machine. To be able to join the session, you also need to have the session downloaded, together with all dependencies. Clicking "join session" will try to download the session and dependencies. If this does not work, look up the session in Content Manager and download it from there.
You will need to ensure you have the same build as the person you are trying to join.
To find out which build of TS12 or T:ANE you have open the Trainz Launcher and observe the build number in the bottom right corner.

Troubleshooting
If you are having issues joining a session such as this:
Untitled2.png

There is a quick and easy fix. Just go into content manager, then try doing a Quick Database Repair. If that still dose not work, an Extended Database Repair would be needed. After all that, if your still having issues. Make sure that all the dependencies are in fact installed, and all of their sub dependencies are installed. But doing a Database Repair has a really good chance of fixing any issue such as this.
One way to fix this: (By Scottb8)

When you get the error depicted in the image, try doing the following:
1) Go to Content Manager and locate the offending session.
2) List the dependencies in the main list.
3) Now add the filter "Locally Modified: True".
4) Apply the filter and delete any assets that remain in the list.
5) Now change the "Locally Modified" filter to "Location: Download Station".
6) Download everything there.
7) Remove the "Location" filter.
8) Select everything and return to step 2.
Continue until there are no more assets left to download, or until the list becomes repetitive.
Now, double-check that everything has its dependencies intact, and that nothing is faulty. If you are missing dependencies (unknown location), it could be that the asset version referenced in the config is not on the DLS, but a newer version does exist. In that case, look up the author ID (e.g., if the KUID you need is <kuid:612368:100021>, look up "Author: #612368") and sort by Asset KUID, ascending. Scroll down until you find the KUID you need. Then download the most recent version of that asset from the DLS.
If any dependency comes faulty from the DLS, you cannot play the session in multiplayer.

Why cant I find any multiplayer games?
This might be caused by three problems and the first is by far the easiest to fix. You might not have any downloaded. There are lots on the DLS out there to download for both TS12 and T:ANE.
But I have all of those routes and sessions downloaded.
That brings us to the second reason you might not be able to join a session. There just might not be any up and running. Someone some where must host a session so you may join them, and if no one is hosting, then there are no sessions to join. (At that point, I suggest hosting one your self. Others might join.) The other issue that may prevent you form joining a session is iChat may be down. And there is an easy way to tell is if iChat is still working. That little icon of a face near the top right corner of your screen, seen here:
tut1.png

If its grayed out like that, that means your not connected to iChat. Clicking on it will bring up your buddy list,
Clicking connect will attempt to connect to iChat. If it dose, then the icon in the first screen shot will become green. If not, then ether iChat is down and so are MP sessions, or you are having internet issues on your end.

Last edited:
I could tell you were tired when you wrote this. Here's an important correction:

"... but it's not on the DLS so you can NOT have it in your session."

Also, closing tags used the forward slash (/).

"... or any other noise (not nose)..."

Nice post JIb228, thank you. Now if N3V would give us a way to see all MP sessions being run without having them, this would be a lot better.

My latest Route is Port Ogden TS12 Multiplayer Version 1b, Session Port Ogden TS12 MP 1b and is in a queue waiting to go onto the DLS which is likely to be tomorrow. For more infomation read the post I,ll be adding to my thread sometime tomorrow. Thats a good post Jib228 despite Scottbe,s low opinion of your Grammer. Perhaps he,ll be happy if we all go back to school?. Payware bought from Planet Auran can also be included in a MP session but I would never use payware as that would mean that anyone wanting to join the session would also have to buy it. Normally I would check this post for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors but there is no need as Scottbe,s bound to do it anyway.

Requirements:
To be able to play multiplayer in TS12, you should have the latest build of the game. At the moment of writing that would be build 49922. You can find this number in the bottom right corner on your start-up screen. If you do not have the latest build, go to options on that start-up screen and find where you can enter your username+password; you will find a patch button on that screen. At the moment of writing, people who got the Steam version of the game are not able to patch their game to the latest build and as a result are not able to play multiplayer. This is the choice of Steam, so complains about this should be posted at their address.
To be able to see active multiplayer sessions, you need to have the route downloaded on your machine. To be able to join the session, you also need to have the session downloaded, together with all dependencies. Clicking "join session" will try to download the session and dependencies. If this does not work, look up the session in Content Manager and download it from there.

Steam Version
Remember that playing multiplayer you MUST play with others of the same version steam version. You can't play with someone that doesn't have the steam version and one that does not, they are NOT the same.

Trainz 2010 and Trainz 12 MP
You CAN NOT run with someone with a different game version on multiplayer. Remember that for trainz 2010 the build number needs to be the same as other players as trainz 12 requires.

Anything else needed to clarify post here.

A note regarding the Steam version - some routes will not be available due to lack of patches.

Shane

EDIT: This has now been rectified via a patch.

Last edited:
I could tell you were tired when you wrote this. Here's an important correction:

"... but it's not on the DLS so you can NOT have it in your session."

Also, closing tags used the forward slash (/).

"... or any other noise (not nose)..."

Fixed. It was quite late and I had been up all most all day before posting this.

I have updated it and included what others have added. I feel that if any thing any one wants to add should be in the first post, that way any one trying to find every thing in one post with out trying to find it. But I have noted who said what.

Here is a tip that may prevent you being banned from the session. If you can,t load or unload your train at an industry and your train is standing on a point switch it,s a good idea to check the switch to see if it is set correctly for your train. An Industry will not work if a switch the train is standing on is not set for your train. Better than derailing your train! and Upsetting mein host.

Well this is great, cause im getting this error. So im going to try everything possible following everything you said to get this fixed because! I wanna come online and run with you all and do some fun things! So far im just angry its not working, lol.

Also what sessions do i need to download in order to get into the 24/7 game. That's the one i would like to run with, with everyone and i cant seem to get into it. So i was just curious what other UMR stuff do i need? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hello Wayne. I have just downloaded and started a session of my latest route which will also be 24/7 and has just appeared on the DLS. I,m now going to write a lengthy post in my thread detailing the improvements and fixes I have done. Now back to your problem. Reading this thread sugests you may have downloaded the wrong route and session. The one you want is one of my favourites, UMR-2013-SUMMER-MULTIPLAYER SESSION VER 2.0 by Lewis. Downloading the session will bring the route with it. Just to recap if you get the dreaded "The selected session" etc! do a database repair. If no luck do an extended database repair. Doing this may break something but you still need to do this. If you still can,t get into the session go into CM and check the dependancies for anything broken or missing. If there is anything missing dragging and downloading the session should fix it. If all else fails delete the route and download again.

Alright im working on trying this right now. Do i need to actaully go into the route that has the dependencies and download them? To make sure it has all the files? I know im getting a few Faulty Dependices puzzle pieaces. So how could i go about fixing these? Im guessing doing the quick database repair will work?

Follow the steps I listed in that order. There should be no need to download dependancies seperately. They are all either built in or on the Download Station. If after following these steps you still have the yellow puzzle piece in either the Route or session you will need to find the one(s) that are are faulty. By this stage there should not be any missing ones. When you find a broken one edit in Content Creator Plus. (I think I got that right but I,m at work and can,t check) My memory is not very good.

Last edited:
Dont edit faulty assets. That will turn them into locally modified items and those are, as far as I know, not allowed for multiplayer.
Just delete the item and redownload it. Does it still end up faulty? Forget about it; apparently it will work since others also use it that way.

Last time I did an extended database repair a dependency broke and became out of date or something. I went into Edit, Content creator plus and fixed it. it did not show up as locally modified and I could get into the session unlike before I fixed it. But yes, you can get into the game with broken dependencies. My solution was based on the asumption 2Wayne could not get into the session. And yes, if all else fails delete the route and download again.

Two more tips (1) When you try to couple to a string of cars and your train go thru the string,pull forwarded uncouple from your train pull forwarded a little then couple back up up your train then couple to the string of cars you tried to earlier.
(2) If you have switches locked in front or back of you to get them unlocked is to give your driver a command to drive to any location in front or behind of you depening on which switches are locked.After passing the switches take over your train again.

Here are two tips (1) When backing up to couple to a string of cars and your train go thru the string of cars,pull up uncouple from your train pull forward a little then couple back to your train then couple to the string.
(2) When you have switches lock and you can't unlock them then give your driver a command to drive at a TM just pass the locked switche(s).

@ Danny, those have about a 90% chance of working. I have seen you guys over on UMR fix locked turnouts that way, but then have seen turnouts on MRL not unlock. The other option when encountering that is to treat it as a broken turnout. Those do happen on the real railroads, so it is prototypical I guess. They do tend to unlock after a few minuets to a few hours.

UPDATE:

When you get the error depicted in the image on the top post, try doing the following:

1) Go to Content Manager and locate the offending session.
2) List the dependencies in the main list.
3) Now add the filter "Locally Modified: True".
4) Apply the filter and delete any assets that remain in the list.
5) Now change the "Locally Modified" filter to "Location: Download Station".
6) Download everything there.
7) Remove the "Location" filter.
8) Select everything and return to step 2.

Continue until there are no more assets left to download, or until the list becomes repetitive.

Now, double-check that everything has its dependencies intact, and that nothing is faulty. If you are missing dependencies (unknown location), it could be that the asset version referenced in the config is not on the DLS, but a newer version does exist. In that case, look up the author ID (e.g., if the KUID you need is <kuid:612368:100021>, look up "Author: #612368") and sort by Asset KUID, ascending. Scroll down until you find the KUID you need. Then download the most recent version of that asset from the DLS.

If any dependency comes faulty from the DLS, you cannot play the session in multiplayer.

Back