Linux and Wine is Almost There

barryg

I installed linux Mint V.13 and the latest version of Wine (V.1.4) last night, and was extremely suprised at well Trainz performed. On differing Linux distro's there was always something to hold Trainz back - whether it was buggy sound or usually sluggish graphics, it never (for me), performed very well. Testing TRS2006 and TC3 using OpenGL i'm getting over 80 f.p.s, where with Windoze i was getting less than 70 f.p.s using the same map, scenario etc.. Everything is maxed out

DX doesn't do so well even though i still get high framerates, as there is a constant visable fast stutter. The only errors i get when running the TrainzDiag is -

1. Multi-Texturing :8 (OpenGL Failure)
2. Spherical Enviroment Mapping (DX Failure).

(I have an Nvidia 560TI)

The DX stuttering 'i guess', could be to do with the mapping but that's just a guess.

As it stands though, Trainz using OpenGL is a keeper. GTR2 Plays well and i also have my favourite time waster - Pipewalker - as well :cool:

The future of Windoze is looking more and more shaky on my system :wave:

Regards Barry

Man, if game developers would focus more attention on Linux platforms, Windoze would be no more for me too. It's only the Linux lack of video game support that keeps me using it anyway.

It's unlikely that game developers will focus much attention to Linux platforms due to the open-source nature.

Whilst OpenGL may be open source, DirectX is not.

Shane

Back