The wrong Content Manager opening up!

jon157uk

Everytime I try to get something from the Download Station the wrong Content Manager opens up.
I.E. - Let's say I'm downloading a route for TS12, I click the 'download' and my TS10 Content Manager opens up or sometimes to the contrary, I'll be trying to download TS10 stuff and my TS12 Manager will open up. Has anyone got any ideas why this happens please? I'm wondering if it's related to and depending on which one of the versions I last had running, it's getting very annoying because before I realised it was happening I carried on downloading, this now means I've got TS12 stuff in my TS10 and visa verse.

Thanks.......

Question:
Are you using Content Manager or still using the website?
If the later, try the first and see if that solves all your problems. I mean, if you already have the content manager of the right game open, chances are the content you download also end up in the right version.
If this aint the case... I really have no clue and leave it to the multi-game experts.

Yes, I see what your saying okno...... but it seems to happen whether or not I have Content Manager open or not. I have had the TS10 Content Manager open, clicked a download for TS10 and my TS12 Manager will open up. If I click 'download' on the Download Station without having Manager already running it's then hit and miss which manager opens up, sometimes the right one will but a lot of the time, the wrong one does.

Yes, I see what your saying okno...... but it seems to happen whether or not I have Content Manager open or not.
My question is: Are you using Content Manager to download or are you downloading via a website?
What you are writing here suggests that you are not using Content Manager to download content.
Even if you are downloading from outside the CM, you could use CM to import the downloaded date instead of double-clicking it and letting windows figure out which to start.

What happens is your computer associates the Trainz: protocol with a certain version of Content Manager, usually the most recent one installed. For me, that's Trainz 2009. A good workaround is using FTP and the 'Import Content' function.

jon157uk,

Please read my latest blog entry. I have developed a utility that can fix this problem for you.

Shane
I've installed and run the utility and it's finding TS10 twice and not finding TS12. When the log opens and asks me to choice which installment I want to configure, TS10 is listed twice and TS12 isn't there at all.

I am very concerned by this, as it's working fine on my machine.

Can you send me via PM the contents of the trainzversions.dat file (use Notepad to open the file).

Shane

I am very concerned by this, as it's working fine on my machine.

Can you send me via PM the contents of the trainzversions.dat file (use Notepad to open the file).

Shane

All it says at the moment is :- C:\Program Files\Auran\TS2010\Trainz.exe
C:\Program Files\Auran\TS2010\Trainz.exe

Do you want me to run anything and see what happens?

That's concerning. It should be picking up both versions.

Is your TS12 on an internal hard drive, or an external hard drive?

Shane

Both versions are on the C: drive mate....... (Will it have anything to do with my TS12 being the 'Railway Simulator-powered by Trainz 12' version)?

That should not affect it. I've got my development environment on this machine, so I will investigate and get back to you asap. I apologise if this has caused you any inconvenience.

Shane

No inconvenience at all mate, thanks for helping out again.....

I've installed the updated utility and now the .dat is reading :-
C:\Program Files\Auran\TS2010\Trainz.exe
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Railway Simulator\Trainz.exe

What do you suggest I do next? As in, do I just associate which version I want to download for next or do you suggest I run the 'rebuild version database'.

Last edited:
You now need to click the correct version reference, check the build, then click Set Association Now to finish the job.

Shane

OK, done that Shane and the utility has closed down, I suppose now I just have to wait 'til I'm using download helper to see if the correct manager starts up?
Is the 'rebuild version database' the same as using the repair database in CM? If so/not when do I use it?

Thanks very much for sorting this out mate.

(And thanks also to you other guys who came up with suggestions too).

Last edited:
The rebuild version database option is if you install or remove a trainz version as it will recreate the trainzversions file.

Shane

But the best solution is ...

Jon --

I have five installations of TS12 so I'm very familiar with your issue.

The best work round to make sure that the Download Station opens the correct Content Manager is to open the appropriate Content Manager first.

Then use the DLS Download Helper. Works every time for me. Could you confirm it works for your TS10/TS12 setup?

Phil

Last edited:
FWIW I confirm Phil's solution. Have been doing it since I had 2006 and 2010 installed and do it now.

Bernie

Back