Getting Errors Opening Trainz

NJCurmudgeon

Trainz has been working great on my new laptop - yes, a laptop. Until this afternoon...I click on the icon and at first got "Cannot open Trainz asset database, it is recommended that you restart your computer. If this problem persists, please reinstall Trainz or contact tech support." I restarted and was able to get the normal screen. When I clicked on "start," I got the progress bar where it is recommitting or rebuilding the database (I don't remember what it called it now, but I've had it happen before, and all was well when it completed.) It stopped and I got another error message, "Your computer hardware and or software is unable to communicate correctly with Trainz." It then gave a list of thinks to try, like making sure DirectX9 is installed, the video card driver is right, etc.

As far as I know, none of that stuff changed and Trainz had been working fine before. I suppose it is possible some update happened in the background I was unaware of. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit. So one of my questions would be how to confirm I have the correct drivers and my DirectX version? It asked about v. 9, but I see they're up to 11 now. If there was an update, would have be the cause of the error?

My other option would be a reinstall, but I want to move cautiously so as not to lose my existing sessions and assets. Assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi NJCurmudgeon,

Please check the Jetlog.txt file found in the <trainz install folder>/Bin folder.

Shane

Edit - also check the settings in the Trainz Options box.

Last edited:
Hi Shane,

I think I figured out the what but not the why...I have two Trainz icons. The one is Trainz.exe sitting immediately inside the Trains2009 folder. The second is Launcher.exe inside the bin folder. The latter opens the game fine and all my layout are there. The other has the problem. So that's what seems to have been wrong. Now the question becomes the why - why do I have this?

Thanks!

While your in the BIN folder, you want to run Trainzdiag.exe which will provide additional information to assist with trouble shooting.

I just ran Trainzdiag and it passed everything. As I had suspected, the issue doesn't appear to be anything with my computer's resources. I think it has to do with having two ways of getting into the game. Launcher works fine but Trainz.exe doesn't. I never really rummaged around in these folders very much before, so I don't know what's normal or not or what's supposed to be where.

Thanks.

Trainz.exe may not be loading all of the necessary components that are needed. However, Launcher.exe does. Best to have a Launcher shortcut on your desktop and go from there.

Just like to Add,

I use Carbonite for off-site backup, this is not a plug either, I just want to state a fact, there are times when Carbonite is looking for files to backup or in the process of doing a backup to servers, and it will cause my Trainz (T:ANE) to slow to a crawl and in some cases to freeze for a 30-60 seconds or longer, I found this out the hard way, a few times.

Another culprit is my Virus Scan that protects my computer, and gets in the way. So my recommendation, make sure all of your programs are shut down, wherever possible, and goto to Airplane Mode when you run Trainz, because think of it this way, several of your programs, EMAIL is number #1 offender, are talking in the Background, Social Media etc are all circling the dinner table constantly, now when you have Trainz working, it gets choked off for one reason or another by numerous back ground programs getting in the way of you trying to Build a route, play Trainz, whatever........

I hope this helps, because I have had Trainz Crash many a time, and/or lost a SAVE function after doing lots of Surveyor work, then having to go back and redo 1-2hrs of Route Editing, I don't let this happen anymore, as my Auto Save is set for 15Mins.

this is log

Begin:
? 0:00.1 : deleting cached file 'mq843em03'
? 0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tbumpcoltex'
? 0:00.3 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tbumpglosscol'
? 0:00.3 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroundonetex'
? 0:00.3 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroundonetexvs'
? 0:00.4 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
? 0:00.5 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
? 0:00.7 : TADDaemon
? 0:00.7 : DownloadTask::DoPlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran
? 0:00.7 : Ready.
? 0:06.7 : DownloadTask::DoPlanetAuranLogin> invalid username/password specified
? 0:07.8 : TADDownloadStation::Idle> Asset update failed 'https://www.auran.com/games/gamefiles/trainz/scripts/RecordManager/client.php?LASTRECEIVEDFILE=0&FORMAT=1'. Retrying in 2 minutes.
? 1:01.5 : TADDaemon exiting due to lack of activity.
? 1:01.5 : Exiting.
End.

Cannot open Trainz asset database, it is recommended that you restart your computer. If this problem persists, please reinstall Trainz or contact tech support.

somebody can help me please?

Trainz Simulator 2009 WBE

Cannot open Trainz asset database, it is recommended that you restart your computer.

Please help me???:'(

Trainz simulator 2009 WBE 44653 (ServicePack4)

Last edited:
hello guys I was starting the normal trainz 12 until I got this error (unable to connect trainz database) and now I'm desperate because I can't get in the game folder has the lancher and trainz.exe but neither of them opens both say error someone help me !!!!

Back