AJS Invisible Stations and Bloodnok's New Platforms - Loading Problems Workaround

Scottish

There are a number of different threads recently in various parts of the forum about the problems many of us are having with Andi06's invisible stations. I have also found that Bloodnok's great new platforms (although a newer build) have similar problems.

To me, these passenger enabled stations and platforms used with passenger enabled coaches are a main part of all my maps and I am disappointed that for some reason they do not function all the time in the latest builds of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12. I guess Auran changed something in their station script which is causing an intermittent problem with Andy's and Bloodnok's scripts.

The main problems are passengers not loading, doors not opening, trains stopping but immediately moving off without loading, trains not stopping and any permutation of these faults. Sometimes it works at some stations but not others. Sometimes it works at a station but next time through that station it does not work.

Some of these assets are built-in (AJS invisible stations in TS12) and yet they still have these intermittent problems. It is a big part of my enjoyment of Trainz to watch these stations and platforms work correctly and I really hope that the great creators like Andy and Bloodnok get full co-operation from Auran to rectify the incompatabilities.

Many suggestions have been made to find a way of getting them to work. Examples include:
Use Call At command.
Don't use Call At or Navigate To station, but use Navigate to Trackmark instead.
Make sure train is not travelling too fast when it enters the station zone.
Alter config file of the locomotive to increase the deceleration speed and stop quicker.
Shorten the length of the train.

Some seem to work for some but not for others.

I have spent many hours trying these out but only with limited or no success. I think the problem lies with the compatability of the various scripts involved and which can only be solved by the creators and Auran working together.

The best workaround I have found is to use Brummfondel's Load Passengers rule (kuid2:192081:5:2). This command gives options to open and close doors (left or right) and load or unload (left or right). It involves the following 5 commands to replace the usual 2 if the stations were working normally as intended.

Navigate To trackmark at station platform.
Wait For xxxx seconds.
With Load Passengers command, open doors (left or right).
With Load Passengers command, load or unload (left or right).
With Load Passengers command, close (doors).

Note: I have set the duration for the loading cycle in the properties screen ('?' question mark button) of each station or platform to 20 seconds.

Then drive to your next destination.

A couple of points to note about the Load Passengers command;
The open doors routine opens all doors on all coaches, not just those at the platform. If the train is longer than the platform even the doors not adjacent to the platform will open.
If you are reversing into a platform, the open doors command (left or right) is based on the direction of travel looking in that direction. However the load and unload parts (left or right) are always based on looking towards the locomotive from the rear of the train.

I wonder if it would be a good idea if a seperate thread was set up so that everybody could list the faults they are finding with these stations and platforms? Would this help the creators or would they be offended.

Scottish

I've partially traced the issue down to the GenericPassengerStation class, which is one of the built-in game classes (the .gs file is in the scripts folder).

Shane

I've partially traced the issue down to the GenericPassengerStation class, which is one of the built-in game classes (the .gs file is in the scripts folder).

Shane

That confirms my suspicion that it was a change in the Auran station script which was causing a malfunction it the asset creator's scripts.

Do you know if anybody is looking at it?

Scottish

Not entirely sure, but I am running further tests using the -debug entry at the moment, to check my theory. I know that the AJS stations use GenericPassengerStation, and there's a good chance that Bloodnok's new ones do as well.

Shane

Just run a test using -debug, and found some interesting results.

An additional entry for each load/unload was added to the Jetlog under VehicleDescriptor.

Here is an example - the 0 in this one is similar to the other entries, and is concerning me as there should be passengers for it to load.

11:40.9 : SCRIPT> VehicleDescriptor.LoadVehicle> Loading queue passengers' with 0 products of type 'Passengers

Shane

Done some more testing, and found that potentially any station that inherits the GenericPassengerStation class is problematic.

Shane

I am no scripting expert but I do write program code in a different language. I have been comparing the version of GenericPassengerStation.gs in TS12 with the one in TRS2006. At the moment I cannot pick up any difference but this will have to be re-done line by line. I wonder if the difference is in one of the Inherited Classes used by the GenericPassengerStation Class?

I agree with you that any station using this script is likely to be affected. This is not just invisible stations but also a number of passenger enabled full stations and platforms. That's why Bloodnoks new platforms are affected because it includes the GenericPassengerStation script as an imported resource as shown on the following line from his script

include "GenericPassengerStation.gs"

They worked in TRS2006 but not in the lastest builds of the newer Trainz versions. Can you remember if they worked OK before you patched TS2009 to SP4?

Scottish

Hi Scottish,

I've just had a read of GenericPassengerStation.gs and noticed that there are several bits of code that are commented out, including one regarding IPIC (which I'm going to have to check the meaning of later on today).

I patched virtually straight up to SP4 before I started to notice anything.

Shane

EDIT: I have posted a new thread in the General Trainz forum to try and get N3V's attention to the issue, as it's something they are going to have to fix.

Last edited:
Keep going guys, sounds like your on top of the investigation. It's probably one little typo hidden in pages of script, needle in a haystack. :wave:

@Shane

Hi Shane,

Further investgation makes me suspect that the problem lies in one of the other Classes included as a reference in the various creators scripts or cross referenced in calls to other Classes within the GenericPassengerStation Class.

All of the passenger enabled station or platform scripts I have looked at include a reference to GenericPassengerStation.gs. A few work but many don't. They all use different permutations of other Classes to be included as well as their own scripts on top. The fact that each creator's script is his own creation and is different from each other, and yet different creators assets are affected leads me to the conclusion that it is unlikely to be their scripts causing the problem. The suspicion I have is that there is now an incompatability between one of the Core Classes and the GenericPassengerStation Class possibly caused by some change by N3V as part of their upgrading process.

I cannot evaluate the scripts involved since somebody with knowledge of Trainzscript would need to look at them.

I have found this type of relationship problem between Classes is not uncommon when programming in dot Net.

I note that you have started a thread to make N3V aware, and I do hope they take note of the number of people posting their unhappiness about the situation.

Scottish

I will do some further investigation later on today into GenericPassengerStation and its related classes as I am keen to get a solution.

Shane

There seems to be no significant change in the relevant scripts (compared to TRS2006). For comparing the scripts the program WinMerge is very useful.

The problem seems to be the change in the interpretation of the enginespec parameters. You have to increase the max-decel value to get the same breaking behavior as before TS2009.

The AJS stations use a small radius for the triggers to stop the trains (_center and _offset triggers). Increasing this radius is another way to fix the problem.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for coming in with your input to this problem. What you say makes complete sense.

I had mentioned that there was no change in the GenericPassengerStation script but was still looking at the other Classes involved.

From your advice, I have checked the trigger radius on the AJS stations and the new Bloodnok platforms which I know are both affected. Both use 5 as the trigger radius.

I think I will clone and modify the station radius rather than alter the max-decel on the enginespecs since it is easier to change the station than go through all the enginespecs in all my locomotives.

I suppose it is a case of trial and error to find a trigger radius which works for the majority of loco's, bearing in mind that there could still be a loco which would still need its enginespec altered if the increased trigger radius was missing it. Have you any suggestions of what figures to start with?

As you may have noticed there are many posts throughout the forum of people looking for a solution, and your assistance will be appreciated by all those willing and able to make the fixes.

Many thanks,

Scottish

Doubling the radius will be enough in most cases. The only problem is, you are getting overlapped triggers.

For changing max-decel, 85000 is a good starting point.

Peter

I will also check the radius settings, but I have a feeling that the GenericPassengerStation script (or one of it's related scripts) are still responsible for certain issues that are being experienced.

Shane

The real problem is the slower braking of ai trains in the latest versions of Trainz. The changing of the radius is only a workaround.

The scripts (GenericPassengerStation, BaseIndustrie, IndustryTrainController and some more) don't show any changes which might explain the changed behavior.

Peter

From my experience, there are other issues that are not related to the decceleration of a train, and even one that has been adjusted can show the issues.

I have sent a trouble ticket to Helpdesk with a link to this thread, as well as my other recent thread I started earlier today.

Shane

Ah bless, good luck with that then mate. Would be nice to know that you were being heard by the powers that be. :eek:

To Peter and Shane,

Just a quick update. I cloned AJS Station 1x50s in TS12 (this is built-in in TS12) and after doing the usual error fixes on missing tga and texture.txt files and category- era error, I replaced the original ones with the clone on a small map with 4 stations.

I changed the trigger radius in the 2 places in the config file to 10.

I have just run a single pass through the route and all 4 cloned stations worked correctly. I am aware that it is too soon to know if this workaround is robust enough to work in all cases.

I am interpreting Peter's comments that he feels that the best fix would to change the enginespec files. Am I correct Peter?

I also note that Shane thinks he has found other anomolies in core script files and has sent it to the helpdesk.

N3V would solve a lot of peoples dissatisfaction if they acknowledge that they will look at this and issue the fix at some time, either in a future patch or putting updated assets on the DLS, or by a forum thread to fix it. An acknowledement of Shane's ticket and on the forum would be good customer relations.

Scottish

Back