Display Problem

BruceFreeland

On my computer I have TRS2006, TS2009, TS2010 and I just installed TS2012 (10th Anniv. Ed.). Just last week I started up 2010 and found the right 1/5 of the screen covered by a mesh-like screen covering the display. I could only faintly make out the usual icons and other detail of the regular Trainz screen behind it. TS2010 continues to operate perfectly normal except for that rectangular "mesh" covering the right 1/5 of the screen. I did not change any software or any part of my operating system. This afternoon, I fired up TS2012 and found the same problem. Likewise with TS2009 and TRS2006. I have not experienced it with anything else that I run on my computer. It does not show itself with Content Manager, but only when I run the regular Trainz software (surveyor or engineer).

My computer is a Velocity Micro Edge Z40 with an Intel Core I-5-2500K processor, quad 3.30GHz cores, hyper clocked to 4.0GHz. The display card is a 1024MB NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450. The operating system I am running is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/ SP1.

All my Trainz versions use OpenGL with a 1920 x 1080 display resolution. I switched to DirectX with the same problem in all four versions.

Possibly there is a simple explanation for this but so far I have not been able to find it. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to correct this problem.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

On my computer I have TRS2006, TS2009, TS2010 and I just installed TS2012 (10th Anniv. Ed.). Just last week I started up 2010 and found the right 1/5 of the screen covered by a mesh-like screen covering the display. I could only faintly make out the usual icons and other detail of the regular Trainz screen behind it. TS2010 continues to operate perfectly normal except for that rectangular "mesh" covering the right 1/5 of the screen. I did not change any software or any part of my operating system. This afternoon, I fired up TS2012 and found the same problem. Likewise with TS2009 and TRS2006. I have not experienced it with anything else that I run on my computer. It does not show itself with Content Manager, but only when I run the regular Trainz software (surveyor or engineer).

My computer is a Velocity Micro Edge Z40 with an Intel Core I-5-2500K processor, quad 3.30GHz cores, hyper clocked to 4.0GHz. The display card is a 1024MB NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450. The operating system I am running is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/ SP1.

All my Trainz versions use OpenGL with a 1920 x 1080 display resolution. I switched to DirectX with the same problem in all four versions.

Possibly there is a simple explanation for this but so far I have not been able to find it. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to correct this problem.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

Bruce,

Ensure that your display settings in the program are the same resolution as your video card. For TS2010 you might have to edit your trainzoptions.txt file and change the resolution to 1920 x 1080. If I recall there was a bug that occured after a patch came out. I use TS12 now so I don't remember the details with TS2010.

John

JCitron -- I have set Trainz display to my monitor's native resolution. As an experiment, I changed resolutions for Trainz only to find the problem persists regardless of resolution set.

So far I have traced the problem to when I loaded Railroad Lines software. This is a game I got with 10th Anniversary Trainz. The problem I'm experiencing is not limited to Trainz but exposes itself with other software such as Civilization V.

Euphod -- The only updates installed on my PC have been security updates for Microsoft Windows. Unfortunately, I don't have a usable restore point prior to installing that game. I have since removed that game and checked my video drivers and loaded the latest updates. I've also updated DirectX to version 11 even though I run all my Trainz versions in OpenGL. Now, I can run TS12 without any problem although it still shows itself in earlier versions and with Civilization V.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. This appears to be something that goes beyond Trainz and may be traceable to the installation of Railroad Lines (which I wish I had never bought). Besides causing me this problem, it's really a very poor "game" and poorly presented ... a total waste of money.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Perhaps I may be able to help.

Firstly, are you running the latest drivers for both your graphics card and your DirectX? (Latest is June 2010 for DirectX)

Shane

You will also need the August 2009 release of DirectX 9.0c. This version of DirectX can run parallel to and separately from other versions of the DirectX runtime environment.

It can be a later version than that - I always advise using the latest version of DirectX (which is currently June 2010/April 2011)

Shane

Thanks for the input. I currently am running DirectX 11 on my desktop which is supposed to be backwards compatible with earlier versions. While I have TS2012 working fine now, I still have the same problem with other game software. I have also updated the drivers for my video card. I have a feeling the solution is probably more subtle than that. I will keep trying and let you know if I find a solution.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bruce

Thanks for the input. I currently am running DirectX 11 on my desktop which is supposed to be backwards compatible with earlier versions. While I have TS2012 working fine now, I still have the same problem with other game software. I have also updated the drivers for my video card. I have a feeling the solution is probably more subtle than that. I will keep trying and let you know if I find a solution.

Again, thanks for your help.
Bruce

Just to clarify, despite the dubious claims by Microsoft, DX10 and 11 are NOT fully backwards compatible with DirectX 9c, some graphics cards are less effected than others, so you need to install the DX9c re-distributable which will co-exist with DX 10 and 11, the Web installer invariably just updates 11.

Just to clarify, despite the dubious claims by Microsoft, DX10 and 11 are NOT fully backwards compatible with DirectX 9c, some graphics cards are less effected than others, so you need to install the DX9c re-distributable which will co-exist with DX 10 and 11, the Web installer invariably just updates 11.

I need to clear up some confusion here.

For Windows XP, the web install method will update DirectX normally (which is 9.0C or earlier anyway)

For Windows Vista and 7 though, the web installer detects that DirectX 10/11 is installed, and will display a message that an equivalent or newer version is already installed, and will not install any newer files for any of the DirectX versions. This is when the redistributable has to be used.

There are exceptions to the rule, as I know of users (via my DirectX updating thread) who have sucessfully used the web install method on Windows Vista/7 to update DirectX 9.0C,DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 files.

Shane

Hallo Bruce,
long time ago. :)
I try to reach you but lost your email. I hope you visite these forum . So if you read this, please send me your email, I can send you the Swiss layout I was working since years.
Hope this will do.
My mail: marc.verherstraeten@gmail.com

Back