Oresund bridge (larger then 800x600 size)

oknotsen

Holder of a broom
The Oresund bridge between Denmark and Sweden is a highway and track combined bridge.

As a fun project to learn how to make Trainz assets via Blender, I decided to try and create that bridge.
I probably should have started with a small house or something easy as my first Blender creation lol... O well.

So far, I have been working on the segments with pillars and the 490m main span.

Here are a few screenshots.

A blender shot from a 120m segment:
oresund_blender_01.jpg

The 490m span from up close:
oresund_01.jpg

An overview shot from a test route (140m segments with pillars and the 490m span):
oresund_d04.jpg

(updated screenshot; this was the previous image)

Let me know what you think :wave:.

Last edited:
Please let me the first to say this thing is FANTASTIC. also I give it a WOW. For both size and just being too awesome.

Wow! I salute your courage and your determination, it is quite the project for a first time. I think I would start off with a bird house! It looks as if you've done well!

Thats awesome, especially for a first project! I still remember that bridge from a holiday back when i was about 7. Massive thing with a tunnel on one end too i think. Copenhagen would be a really cool place to model in trainz

Wowser!!! Isn't that a beauty?! And it's pretty much spot on too. Except for the fact that you seem to have too many motorway lanes; the real bridge only has two lanes + an emergency lane in each direction. But, apart from that: gimme, gimme, gimme :udrool:

Your first model? Wow! Great work on that bridge! :Y:

<snip> I think I would start off with a bird house! <snip>

Please do, Ed. Me thinks we could use some bird houses and bird feeders. And with your fine skill at reskinning, I'd say you have good potential to create useful items! ;)

Thanks for the reactions

Thank you all for the positive reactions :Y: .

A reaction to a few:
Massive thing with a tunnel on one end too i think.
You are correct sir.
If I figure out how, I might give that tunnel a try after the bridge is finished (or good enough; I doubt I ever call it finished). First I am going to give the ramps to this bridge a shot. That track has to get away from under that road and both the Sweden and the Peberholm (Denmark) side are different for that.

you seem to have too many motorway lanes; the real bridge only has two lanes + an emergency lane in each direction
I can assure you that it only looked that way in those screenshots :), probably because of the road image I created (at that moment still without stripes).
Here is a new shot from above the 490m span that shows the lanes more clearly:
oresund_04.jpg

First I am going to give the ramps to this bridge a shot. That track has to get away from under that road and both the Sweden and the Peberholm (Denmark) side are different for that.
Are you going to include the motorway toll-booth on the Sweedish side? Not essential, I know, but would look good.

I can assure you that it only looked that way in those screenshots :), probably because of the road image I created (at that moment still without stripes).
Ah, I see. Now with the stripes the lanes are just right. :)

For me looks good. You can add Baked textures easily with Blender, so if it looks real now imagine it with baked textures. Good start mate.
Looking forward to progress

Greetings

Peberholm

Thanks for all the positive reactions! Much appreciated.

Progress has been a lot less then I had hoped, mainly because of a reflections issue I am having, but I am happy to be able to post a few more screenies of what I developed so far.

I have been working on the connection between the artificial island of Peberholm (the Danish side of the Oresund) and the bridge.
Here is how it looks on googlemaps and this is what I made of it in Trainz:
Top view:
oresend_peberholm_01.jpg

View at track level of this connection towards the bridge:
oresend_peberholm_02.jpg

Are you going to include the motorway toll-booth on the Sweedish side? Not essential, I know, but would look good.
I wasnt planning to since I prefer the more train related objects and it aint my goal to make a route of a large area, but who knows... I wasnt planning to start learning Blender and see what happend so far.

I had to check it out a couple of times, but it seems like you have got it just right. It's a bit hard to see the cross member of the support columns in Google Maps, but I was able to make them out as indistinct "bends" in the material. Well done.

Thanks Euphod!

Can double stack intermodal trains fit on the bridge
I dont know if the Danish and Swedish considered that when building the bridge, but a simple test proved that double stacks seemed to fit nicely in my model of it.
The model is ofcourse without catenary; I dont know if it would still fit when catenary is added.

Border between Denmark and Sweden

Due to the creation of the Oresund bridge, Denmark and Sweden are now physically connected.

The connection raised the 'need' for a visible border halfway on the bridge. They did so by painting each of their flags on 2x4 beams and by putting down 3 markers at the exact location of the border.

This is a screenshot of my version of the border:

oresund_border_01.jpg

A request for help to our Swedish and Danish trainzers:

For screenshots and possibly a small demo route I am looking for local trains that cross the bridge regularly. Since I aint a local, I never actually see (trains on) the bridge. Also my searches via CM filtering on region resulted in a lot of trains that dont work.
So now I am hoping anyone of you can help me with that.
These train vehicles need to meet these simple requirements:
- Downloadable via Content Manager
- Work in TS12 without having to fix them first
- Not be a wild guess
Please help me with a reply or PM with the exact names (or kuids) of those vehicles.

Sweden

Some more progress.
Been working on the connection between land and the bridge on the Sweden side of the Oresund. I could not find any usefull pictures so I had to do with what google earth could give me and some imagination of what it probably looks like.

This is a screenshot of the transition between bridge and land. You see safety stairs from the train level to the road level and one of the rainpipes is clearly visible. Also notice the metal "overlay" (is that what its called?) between the bridge segment and the land based part to handle the "stretching" of the bridge.
oresund_sweden_01.jpg

I'm not to happy yet with the plane collor of the grass on the side of the road and probably replace that by a texture in the final version.

Still looking for input on the question of my previous post. Any help is welcome.

very well done and yes dutch engineering at work

ja man proud to be dutch although lived there only 25% of my life:hehe:
Oknotsen still don't know your first name so Okker congrats on this gem really perfectly done and a beauty to look at and use.
If I find a nice place and for sure I will can I reserve it a space in my route section greater Vancouver area which I will conclude in 2014? Even not prototypical these kind of marvels are a must to fit into my 'Ooh Canada routes':cool:.
If you agree let me know and a reserve space where it fit best!
I am proud to be Dutch as we Dutch from such a tiny small country always managed in life to be very creative,inventive and succesful and real engineers of the best in the world, you agree no not meant arrogant just blunt and honest and proud.
Would I want to live in Holland. Noooooo is not Holland anymore but that happens to most countries worldwide now we are cosmopolitans:p and happy trainzers.
Oknotsen keep up the great work your member now of the exclusive trainz elite grandmasters:mop:

have a great week

Roy n Ning;)

Oresundtrain

the train witch drive over the bridge.

you can use PM2IM from pevsoft to do it not faulty.
it should work.:)

Back